How "Progressive" Will Clockwork Angels be.

The Owl

Will Clockwork Angels be a Prog Rock album? on a scale from 0 to 10 rate the progressive nature of this album..  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Will Clockwork Angels be a Prog Rock album? on a scale from 0 to 10 rate the progressive nature of this album..

• 0. (Not at all, it will be all short pop-rock drivel)
    • 1. (Ill be happy if I see a song over 5 mintues)
    • 2. (I don't expect it to be any more prog than newer Asia)
    • 3. (There Might be an odd time signature or two)
    • 4. ( There will be some instrument diversity in the songs, along with option #3)
    • 5. (Most songs will range from 6-10 minutes along with options #3 and #4)
    • 6. ( We will get one decent 10+ minute track with the rest falling with options 3,4, and 5)
    • 7. (One Multi-part 15+ minute epic, and the rest falling in line with options 3,4,and 5)
    • 8. (Fully Fledged Prog album, no songs shorter than 7 minutes including the one epic, instrument diversity, and time signature changes rampant through album)
    • 9. (Full Prog pretention is ON, possibly a double album, fully conceptual in nature, along with that specified in option #8)
    • 10 (Rush will release a conceptual double album, all songs will be over 15 minute epics, and Geddy will sing in a fabricated language)
    • .....Can I Haz Metal? :huh:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went with #3, but I think it's gonna be more metal than we've seen in awhile.... 1022.gif

I went with #7. Just a guess... I don't care so much -- I just want some new 2.gif 1022.gif

Great time-killer while we wait for Headlong Flight. popcorn.gif

If Hemispheres is a 10 and the debut is a 2, I voted a 7 for CA. But here's hoping for an 8 or 9. trink39.gif

But we pretty much know that it's not a double album, right? Man, that would truly be my ultimate Rush album, a sci-fi, prog, double concept album with every song part of the suite (like Lamb Lies Down). wub.gif ohmy.gif :headexplodes:

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 9 2012, 08:16 PM)
I'd rate Snakes and Arrows about a 4.5 on the prog scale, hoping to see at least a 5.5 or even a 6 on Clockwork Angels... one can hope.

Lol. Snakes is like a 0. Not a single thing about that album says "prog" to me.

I dont know what their idea of prog is anymore. I cant see them writing anything like Hemispheres.

I have a feeling that they will still be normal songs, just maybe with a central theme.

Edited by trenken

I always debate the meaning of the term Progressive to begin with.

for example many of the staple items that people consider to be Prog really are not Prog anymore? neo Classical influences long arrangements and so on were once prog becuase they stood AGAINST other styles of the time.

Now old Prog to me is kind of nostalgia....

Having said that...using the old definitions of Prog....I'd think they will get around a 7 or 8.

it worries me on some level that fans want Rush to do what they want them to do....in other words faster songs, longer arrangements etc....

An artist needs to do what THEY need to do...not try to hit benchmarks to appease a fan base....I think Rush has always done this which results in the disagreement over stuff like Signals ( when it was released) or Snakes and Arrows...etc...

I went with choice #7 based on how the band has spoken about the album so far.

When I say "prog" (and I realize we probably all have different definitions of said word) I typically mean "complex, challenging music with changing time signatures and symphonic song structures" (or something to that effect). With that as my definition, I am hoping that CA is the most "prog" album in a long time, since Geddy has talked about epic, complex music, and Neil has mentioned "ridiculously complex" drum passages.

They have spoken that way about their most recent albums, however, and they weren't quite what I was expecting, so I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 10 2012, 06:30 AM)

for example many of the staple items that people consider to be Prog really are not Prog anymore? neo Classical influences long arrangements and so on were once prog becuase they stood AGAINST other styles of the time.

Having said that...using the old definitions of Prog....I'd think they will get around a 7 or 8.

it worries me on some level that fans want Rush to do what they want them to do....in other words faster songs, longer arrangements etc....

An artist needs to do what THEY need to do...not try to hit benchmarks to appease a fan base....I think Rush has always done this which results in the disagreement over stuff like Signals ( when it was released) or Snakes and Arrows...etc...

I agree with you completely. I know what people are thinking when they call something progressive: long songs, odd times, self-indulgent playing, high concept lyrics, all that. But to me the reason that kind of music was called progressive in the 70s is because it stretched the boundaries of what rock had been or was thought to be. If Rush had simply made Hemispheres 1-20 in the same style since the 70s that would be anything but "prog" to me. It would be "stag" for stagnant. Progressive bands to me evolve and change or add new elements, etc. I like a lot of Dream Theater for instance but I see nothing "prog" about them at all. They do the same thing over and over just like AC/DC. I love AC/DC and that works for them and what DT does works for them but to me what Rush has done since the very beginning pretty much defines progressive music in the real sense.

It's like "Alternative". Yeah, it was called that early on because it was a strong contrast to the 80s style rock that was dominant until then. But there was nothing "alternative" about a band that sounded just like Nirvana did 8 or 10 years after the fact even if people still identified that label with that sound. When people say they want "progressive" music now as they define it in most cases what they really want is "regressive" or "retrogressive" music. Nothing wrong with that, I just think the name/label "progressive" has become meaningless.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 10 2012, 07:30 AM)

Agreed, Let 2.gif be 2.gif ! You might not agree with the outcome, but they need to explore new avenues in order to keep moving forward!.

They would not have lasted 40 years if they just kept rehashing Hemispheres, Xanadu or Nat Science. Yes this is their better stuff, but they've done that. it's like asking Da Vinci to keep painting the Mona Lisa, or Michaelangelo to keep painting Chapels at the vatican. Move on with your lives people the prog era ended in the 70's be glad we still have 2.gif in the new millenium. They wouldn't have made it here without what came afterwards. (Yes that means Signals wub.gif , GUP new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif , PW applaudit.gif , HYF wub.gif , Presto trink39.gif , RTB (rap) oops.gif , CP wub.gif , VT (Mix) 062802puke_prv.gif and S & A wub.gif ) All the other Prog bands are sadly no longer available, well YES is kinda? unsure.gif Anyway, be glad we still have 2.gif NEW 2.gif here in 2012. They haven't rested on their Laurels, They've kept giving us new music, they have kept touring and with the original members I might add, even after personal lost. Stop being such brats and grow up! Be glad for what ever 2.gif we get while we still can.

Now with that said........ God I hope its at least as Prog as PeW!

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Apr 10 2012, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 10 2012, 08:40 AM)
Losingit2K, you do know that "The Chapel At The Vatican" is not a painting don't you?
Michelangelo wasn't a painter and decorator either....

I heard he could bowl his ass off though...

Hiya Troll!

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 10 2012, 08:45 AM)
QUOTE (rummut71 @ Apr 10 2012, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 10 2012, 08:40 AM)
Losingit2K, you do know that "The Chapel At The Vatican" is not a painting don't you?
Michelangelo wasn't a painter and decorator either....

I heard he could bowl his ass off though...

Hiya Troll!

ph34r.gif

C'mon... Mike had the skill to go pro. He was just too busy painting shit.