Red Barchetta

FountainOfSyrinx

I was listening to the Exit Stage Left DVD on youtube, and Neil says "

Well it seems to me that a car has been one of the standard metaphors and volumes have been written about the sociological and cultural impact of the car and what it represents, but, it also has a very fundamental, sensual appeal, and it's a metaphor for sexuality and for freedom."

This took me by surprise. I never thought of this.. but how does the car represent sexuality and sexual freedom? Does Neil just basically say you should be able to be whoever you want using the car?? And does this mean that the boy in the song is gay as well?

This blew my mind. One of the great points of 2.gif

Someone help smile.gif

I don't see the car as a sexual metaphor in Red Barchetta, but it is easy enough to see it that way in another context. Smooth curves, bright colors, power under you fingertips. That's all sexual.

It's not the song itself that's a metaphor.

Cars in general--and especially a red Ferrari--are often metaphors for freedom and sexuality. Just look at the curves on sports cars, for example, and often they are marketed with voluptuous women--look at posters in teenage boys' rooms. Remember 1983's National Lampoon's Vacation with Christie Brinkley? That is but one sophomoric example.

Who doesn't want the Keys when they turn 16 to explore, to...get out of town.

It's about freedom: the ability to see other things, and sexuality: power and curves and exhilaration.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 6 2012, 06:34 AM)
And does this mean that the boy in the song is gay as well?

No, but your post is. j/k pokey.gif

Historically, cars have often been thought of as phallic symbols. And yeah, the connection between car ownership and freedom are pretty much a given in western culture.

Reading Neil Peart's lyrics and other writings let's us know that Rush is far from homophobic, but they are also very far from a "gay" band.

Does anyone on TRF know of any gay folks that like Rush? I never met anyone of that leaning who didn't go for dance music. I hate to stereotype, but then I'm among those that were shocked when Rob Halford came out. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Apr 5 2012, 07:29 PM)
It's not the song itself that's a metaphor.

Cars in general--and especially a red Ferrari--are often metaphors for freedom and sexuality. Just look at the curves on sports cars, for example, and often they are marketed with voluptuous women--look at posters in teenage boys' rooms. Remember 1983's National Lampoon's Vacation with Christie Brinkley? That is but one sophomoric example.

Who doesn't want the Keys when they turn 16 to explore, to...get out of town.

It's about freedom: the ability to see other things, and sexuality: power and curves and exhilaration.

I'm probably in the minority, but I see no sexual metaphors in driving any car.

Power and freedom, for sure. A definite plus for anyone - male or female. The feeling of being bigger, stronger, and faster than everyone goes beyond any sexual thing. It goes straight to your inner-self, your true idea of who and what you are.

As for the babes who are used to market cars, I think it's a total fraud. It's bogus subliminal advertising - Buy our car, the chicks will love you, and you'll get laid! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif If you're a dork before you buy the car, you'll still be a dork after you buy it.....and the chicks will still just wanna be friends.... doh.gif

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 5 2012, 04:34 PM)
I was listening to the Exit Stage Left DVD on youtube, and Neil says "

Well it seems to me that a car has been one of the standard metaphors and volumes have been written about the sociological and cultural impact of the car and what it represents, but, it also has a very fundamental, sensual appeal, and it's a metaphor for sexuality and for freedom."

This took me by surprise. I never thought of this.. but how does the car represent sexuality and sexual freedom? Does Neil just basically say you should be able to be whoever you want using the car?? And does this mean that the boy in the song is gay as well?

This blew my mind. One of the great points of 2.gif

Someone help smile.gif

Overthink

'No' is the simple answer.

Red Barchetta is not about bonking, it is a thrilling tale of motorised derring-do. It is not an analogue of bonking, nor a parody of bonking. It is not about Olympic bonking (a concept mooted initially in the satirical puppet-show Spitting Image on British TV in the 1980s), nor does it encompass allegorical bonking, metaphorical bonking, philosophical bonking, licit bonking, illicit bonking, or bonking outdoors in the backs of cars (there's a Rush song that deals with that already).

It does not concern the horrors that befall you when you are caught bonking or, hell bells, catch someone else bonking your boy-/girl-friend without your permission. It does not cover quantum-theoretical bonking, bonking while travelling faster than the speed of light, bonking in a TARDIS, or bonking an unsuspecting CERN scientist while being given a guided tour of the Large Hadron Collider.

This is not a song about sex; moreover, while I am sorry to cause disappointment, there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that the guy, his uncle, the fireside they end up sitting beside, or the automobile in question is gay.

...And nor is the car an allegory of a penis. As Sigmund Freud himself once said: 'Sometimes a Rush song about a car is just a Rush song about a car, so, in my view, anybody who thinks otherwise is, well, bonkers....

wink.giftongue.gif

How Red Barchetta mirrors the Human Sexual Response Cycle:

1. Excitement Phase

I strip away the old debris

That hides a shining car:

A brilliant red Barchetta

From a better vanished time.

We fire up the willing engine

Responding with a roar.

Tires spitting gravel,

I commit my weekly crime.

2. Plateau Phase

Wind

In my hair

Shifting and drifting

Mechanical music

Adrenaline surge...

Well-weathered leather,

Hot metal and oil,

The scented country air.

Sunlight on chrome,

The blur of the landscape,

Every nerve aware.

3. Orgasmic Phase

Suddenly ahead of me

Across the mountainside

A gleaming alloy air-car

Shoots towards me, two lanes wide.

I spin around with shrieking tires

To run the deadly race

Go screaming through the valley

As another joins the chase.

4. Resolution Phase

Drive like the wind

Straining the limits of machine and man.

Laughing out loud with fear and hope

I've got a desperate plan.

At the one-lane bridge

I leave the giants stranded at the riverside.

Race back to the farm

To dream with my uncle at the fireside.

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ Apr 6 2012, 02:14 PM)
Red Barchetta is not about bonking, it is a thrilling tale of motorised derring-do.

You know....spiwit....bwavado....a touch of dewwing-do!!

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/05.19.04/gifs/brian-0421.jpg

Its common knowledgde, when you see a 40-50 year old man in a sportscar, or a Hummer, that this person is recently divorced and uses his brand new sportscar as a "pxxxs extender".

It is the mid-life crises for men. We have to do something to make us feel young again and attractive for the funky ladies.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 5 2012, 11:51 PM)

Historically, cars have often been thought of as phallic symbols. And yeah, the connection between car ownership and freedom are pretty much a given in western culture.

Why would it make him gay?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 8 2012, 05:41 AM)

[think back to when you were in junior high] It's in the sense that you'd call your buddy "gay" when he said something foolish.

Didn't think I'd have to explain that. I feel gay for doing so. Oh well. trink38.gif

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ Apr 7 2012, 04:14 AM)

...And nor is the car an allegory of a penis. As Sigmund Freud himself once said: 'Sometimes a Rush song about a car is just a Rush song about a car, so, in my view, anybody who thinks otherwise is, well, bonkers....

wink.giftongue.gif

You drive a long, sleek corvette to compensate, don't you? pokey.gif

People have made the dick comparison for ages. There's no denying that much at least. As far as Freud goes, I'm sure you got the quote wrong. During one of his regular cocaine sessions he stated, "Zee Red Barchetta iz clearly a tune about zee cock!"

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 8 2012, 08:53 AM)
QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ Apr 7 2012, 04:14 AM)

wink.giftongue.gif

You drive a long, sleek corvette to compensate, don't you? pokey.gif

People have made the dick comparison for ages. There's no denying that much at least. As far as Freud goes, I'm sure you got the quote wrong. During one of his regular cocaine sessions he stated, "Zee Red Barchetta iz clearly a tune about zee cock!"

laugh.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 8 2012, 09:43 AM)

[think back to when you were in junior high] It's in the sense that you'd call your buddy "gay" when he said something foolish.

Didn't think I'd have to explain that. I feel gay for doing so. Oh well. trink38.gif

Is Fountain of Syrinx an alter you use? That's who needs to explain the statement since it was made by them, not you Johnny.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 9 2012, 01:58 AM)

Is Fountain of Syrinx an alter you use? That's who needs to explain the statement since it was made by them, not you Johnny.

If anything I say sounds stupid I'll blame it on that guy...even if it isn't me. trink39.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Apr 6 2012, 12:13 AM)
Reading Neil Peart's lyrics and other writings let's us know that Rush is far from homophobic, but they are also very far from a "gay" band.

Does anyone on TRF know of any gay folks that like Rush? I never met anyone of that leaning who didn't go for dance music. I hate to stereotype, but then I'm among those that were shocked when Rob Halford came out. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Of course there are.... you being a member of SOCN, you should know this!

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 8 2012, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 9 2012, 01:58 AM)

If anything I say sounds stupid I'll blame it on that guy...even if it isn't me. trink39.gif

I'm just saying, I thought it was interesting when Neil said it represented sexuality. To me, it could be a gay reference. The ability to run free from prejudice about being gay.. it just made sense in my head. huh.gif