Rate Vapor Trails

Gompers

How do you rate Vapor Trails?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Vapor Trails?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 6 2012, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 6 2012, 06:36 AM)
At 36 votes, we have a score of 6.7. Snakes and Arrows and VT are neck and neck. However, other polls pitting them head to head, "which do you like better", S&A has a definite advantage.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...hl=Snakes+Vapor
http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...hl=Snakes+Vapor
http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=28520&hl=

You are really into this huh laugh.gif

Oh, does it show?

unsure.gif

ph34r.gif

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to lie, it took a while for this to grow on me. I like a lot of the songs and believe that the second half is better. For me, OLV is my least favorite song. Earthshine and Secret Touch grabbed me from the beginning. It took a while for me to like Stars and How it Is, but they grew on me too. Actually, I like this album better than some others. Given a choice among this T4E or RTB, I would choose VT. For that reason, I give it an 8.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 5 2012, 05:38 PM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 5 2012, 10:48 AM)
1 because I can't sit through it.

I also voted 1.

There have been threads where we rated each Rush album 0-10. In the past I've given it 0.5 only because of the first 15 seconds of OLV which is cool, and because it's Rush I didn't want to give them a full on ZERO, but sadly it deserves that from me.

If there was an option for 0, however, I would have rounded down to 0 as opposed to up to 1. It's completely unlistenable to me, and not just because of the sound quality.

Your feelings on VT aside, any Rush album cannot get below a 1. They get a 1 just for showing up in the studio, so a ,5 or zero is not possible in this universe.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 5 2012, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 5 2012, 01:48 PM)

I have trouble listening start to finish as well. It just isn't enjoyable. A couple of good tunes, but that is it.

This goes for me also.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 6 2012, 07:23 AM)

I also voted 1.

There have been threads where we rated each Rush album 0-10. In the past I've given it 0.5 only because of the first 15 seconds of OLV which is cool, and because it's Rush I didn't want to give them a full on ZERO, but sadly it deserves that from me.

If there was an option for 0, however, I would have rounded down to 0 as opposed to up to 1. It's completely unlistenable to me, and not just because of the sound quality.

Your feelings on VT aside, any Rush album cannot get below a 1. They get a 1 just for showing up in the studio, so a ,5 or zero is not possible in this universe.

I gave them an 0.5 for showing up in the studio. I'm nothing if not generous. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 6 2012, 11:24 AM)

I also voted 1.

I gave them an 0.5 for showing up in the studio. I'm nothing if not generous. wink.gif

VT is salvageable to me. Maybe if they gave me the tracks (insert pipe-dream smile), I could mix it better. First thing to go...Geddy choirs. They are horrid! Then I would strip down the guitars.

Actually, now that I think of it, I would build rather than strip down. The over-layering doesn't work for me with Rush. With Devin Townsend, it does though. smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 6 2012, 10:24 AM)

I also voted 1.

Well, perhaps your generous should be more like 0.5 for showing up and 0.5 for the first 15 seconds of OLV. A solid 1.0 wink.gif biggrin.gif

Oh, I forgot to say what I gave it. An 8. Took off one for the concrete mix, but I can feel this album. yes.gif I think I like S&A more, but sometimes I think this album slightly somehow more consistent, without suffering a Bravest Face type letdown. Hmm.

I give it a 7. My "discovery" album was Moving Pictures so I was into the 70s-80s stuff long before I got into anything after Hold Your Fire. But VT has grown on me a lot over the years since I first heard it, and it's become one of my favorites. Very melodic, great intensity/energy throughout, and it has some of my overall favorite Rush songs (Ceiling Unlimited, Ghost Rider, Earthshine, Vapor Trail). Also their best lyrical/thematic content overall since HYF.

As for the mix job... not good, but I definitely prefer oversaturation/overloudness to the flat/dull sound of Test For Echo, so I don't think it's their worst-"sounding" album.

Anyway, cheers, it's good to be here. Been lurking for awhile cool.gif

I gave it a 1. Ghost Rider is ok. Peaceable Kingdom has potential.

Its not just the bad production. The music is just infested with a thick, heavy dense smog of noise.

I have written some long posts on this album elsewhere so I won't waste much more time on the write up here. Do I hope I will come to like it? Of course. Do I think I will? No. Nuff said.

Glad (and envious) for all of you who do like it. At least they came back with S & A which as much, much better. Hopefully CA will not be another VT, but the 2 songs I have heard have worried me a bit. Just hopping all the advance gossip about it is true!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 6 2012, 12:34 PM)
I don't really know how to answer the "but it's a great song how can you hate it" question.  I just can't stand the entire album.  This is cut and paste from a couple old threads with my general thoughts on the album.  If you disagree and love the album, that's totally cool, but I just don't feel that way:

I don't love VT, but my appreciation for it has grown after listening recently on good quality sound-isolating earbuds at lower volumes. I certainly agree there are mixing and mastering problems, but I think VT improves a lot at lower volumes on good headphones.

I do think there are a couple very good Rush tunes on VT that would be much more loved if they had appeared on, say, TFE with a decent mix: Earthshine, Secret Touch, Ghost Rider, maybe others. It's a shame to throw these babies out with the bath water.

Edited by They Bow Defeated

Gave it a 7. It would benefit from some editing and the production value... well that's been thrashed out enough here, I think. On the positive side.... you can *FEEL* the exuberance, the joy of doing this again when they thought they might never do so. The lyrics run the gamut: sorrowful, questing, strong, thankful and even some astronomy. I don't listen to it as much as I do other albums but it has a special place in my heart. yes.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 6 2012, 09:22 PM)
SnA lovers would like you to believe that VT is bad but look at those poll numbers. The majority think it is very good to excellent.

That still doesn't mean it don't suck! I mean, Britney Spears has sold way more records than Rush but I doubt anyone here would say she's better than them....

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 6 2012, 09:22 PM)
SnA lovers would like you to believe that VT is bad but look at those poll numbers. The majority think it is very good to excellent.

That still doesn't mean it don't suck! I mean, Britney Spears has sold way more records than Rush but I doubt anyone here would say she's better than them....

laugh.gif

I know I've said this many times, but one more. Take a look at rateyourmusic.com:

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/rush

VT is at the very bottom, with only Test For Echo scoring a TINY bit lower. This is from the general populace, including people like us, the hardcore Rush fans, but also more casual fans and non-fans. It's a much wider and more accurate sampling, whereas hardcore fans go to much greater effort to learn to work and learn to love all their albums.

So VT comes in at #17 out of 18 and S&A comes out as #10 out of 18. VT has 3.21 out of 5 and S&A has 3.51 with each album receiving over 1,000 separate votes - it's really not even close. Just sayin'...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 6 2012, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 6 2012, 09:22 PM)

laugh.gif

I know I've said this many times, but one more. Take a look at rateyourmusic.com:

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/rush

VT is at the very bottom, with only Test For Echo scoring a TINY bit lower. This is from the general populace, including people like us, the hardcore Rush fans, but also more casual fans and non-fans. It's a much wider and more accurate sampling, whereas hardcore fans go to much greater effort to learn to work and learn to love all their albums.

So VT comes in at #17 out of 18 and S&A comes out as #10 out of 18. VT has 3.21 out of 5 and S&A has 3.51 with each album receiving over 1,000 separate votes - it's really not even close. Just sayin'...

tongue.gif

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/notlistenint.gif