Rate Vapor Trails

Gompers

How do you rate Vapor Trails?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Vapor Trails?

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 29 2012, 09:03 PM)
I've always heard this is their worst album, and if that be true then even their worst album is better than most people's best albums. tongue.gif

Ah, I so wish that was the case...

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 30 2012, 03:34 AM)
I've always heard this is their worst album, and if that be true then even their worst album is better than most people's best albums. tongue.gif

Rushgoober has just broken his own record of 3 hours, 46 minutes and 26 seconds, for time between comments dissing Vapor Trails...

Well done Goobs.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 30 2012, 01:42 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 30 2012, 03:34 AM)

Rushgoober has just broken his own record of 3 hours, 46 minutes and 26 seconds, for time between comments dissing Vapor Trails...

Well done Goobs.

tongue.gif

Actually one time I went nearly 5 hours, but that's only because I had food poisoning.

VT is my favorite Rush album to dis. smile.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Apr 9 2012, 01:55 PM)
I really liked Vapor Trails from the first time I heard it, and this was quite a while before I even heard of forums, which is where I learned that the sound on the album is 'awful'. I went through a little period where I thought, gee, the sound is supposed to be crap, but I like it, so maybe I'm not as audiophilic as I thought I was. But I simply like how it sounds: loud, in-your-face, and 'earthy'. I almost let other peoples' opinions sway my own; I'm glad I stuck to my guns and get to enjoy one of my favourite albums. I crank it when the songs play on my ipod, and love the thickness streaming through my headphones.

One thought I have (among many others, of course!): sometimes just knowing the sound isn't technically great can make someone dislike the album simply for the fact. What I mean is, if someone sees graphs indicating that the album was mastered poorly, well, it must sound bad, right, because there is proof that it should, and the album is not given a real chance. "It sounds bad because this brick-walled graph shows it's supposed to." Of course, not everyone is into the 'sound' of the album as I am, and that's cool, but as long as the reason is for how it is and not for how one thinks it ought to be. wink.gif

I'm really glad I like Vapor Trails, because I still get a little thrill each time a song randomly pops up on my music player, and the music makes my morning mood. And afternoon and evening moods, too.

Like you, I learned to love VT before joining this forum. Funny that my first post here was in the Feedback VT poll. Oh what a fool I was, not knowing about the general low regard VT is held in! I also assumed the wall of noise effect upon first dozen or so listens was my fault and not a production issue. But I could tell that underneath the noise was some real gems.

It took a lot of work- listening to a few tracks at a time- finally, it all made sense and came into focus. Now I hear the melody lines, the different layers of guitars, drums, bass, dark yes yet brilliant lyrics, as a complex weaving of threads of sounds. It is fascinating.

The experience was like those "magic eye" drawings, that don't look like anything at first but if you stare at them in a certain way, suddenly a 3D image appears. cool10.gif

VT has a hard, raw, modern rock sound.

I would take VT over any album from PowW to T4E. Definately over PowW and HYF moon.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 2 2012, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Aug 2 2012, 06:43 AM)
10, it is right up there with The White Album.        1022.gif

I'm assuming you're kidding?

never ASSume anything, you know the rest rofl3.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Aug 2 2012, 08:43 AM)
10, it is right up there with The White Album. 1022.gif

You know this album gets dissed and I don't see why. The circumstances that preceded the making of the album, the fact they got back together and the passion and emotion make this effort simply unbelievable. I love every groove...in my top ten Rush albums.

Oh, there's a sound issue...yep, you betcha--as in sounding awesome!!!

2.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 2 2012, 08:48 AM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Aug 2 2012, 08:43 AM)
10, it is right up there with The White Album.        1022.gif

You know this album gets dissed and I don't see why. The circumstances that preceded the making of the album, the fact they got back together and the passion and emotion make this effort simply unbelievable. I love every groove...in my top ten Rush albums.

Oh, there's a sound issue...yep, you betcha--as in sounding awesome!!!

2.gif

goodpost.gif

Right on, it is right up there with The 12 dreams of Dr. Sardonicus 1022.gif

QUOTE (Animate @ Aug 2 2012, 07:07 AM)
QUOTE (Mika @ Apr 9 2012, 01:55 PM)
I really liked Vapor Trails from the first time I heard it, and this was quite a while before I even heard of forums, which is where I learned that the sound on the album is 'awful'. I went through a little period where I thought, gee, the sound is supposed to be crap, but I like it, so maybe I'm not as audiophilic as I thought I was. But I simply like how it sounds: loud, in-your-face, and 'earthy'. I almost let other peoples' opinions sway my own; I'm glad I stuck to my guns and get to enjoy one of my favourite albums. I crank it when the songs play on my ipod, and love the thickness streaming through my headphones.

One thought I have (among many others, of course!): sometimes just knowing the sound isn't technically great can make someone dislike the album simply for the fact. What I mean is, if someone sees graphs indicating that the album was mastered poorly, well, it must sound bad, right, because there is proof that it should, and the album is not given a real chance. "It sounds bad because this brick-walled graph shows it's supposed to." Of course, not everyone is into the 'sound' of the album as I am, and that's cool, but as long as the reason is for how it is and not for how one thinks it ought to be.  wink.gif

I'm really glad I like Vapor Trails, because I still get a little thrill each time a song randomly pops up on my music player, and the music makes my morning mood. And afternoon and evening moods, too.

Like you, I learned to love VT before joining this forum. Funny that my first post here was in the Feedback VT poll. Oh what a fool I was, not knowing about the general low regard VT is held in! I also assumed the wall of noise effect upon first dozen or so listens was my fault and not a production issue. But I could tell that underneath the noise was some real gems.

It took a lot of work- listening to a few tracks at a time- finally, it all made sense and came into focus. Now I hear the melody lines, the different layers of guitars, drums, bass, dark yes yet brilliant lyrics, as a complex weaving of threads of sounds. It is fascinating.

The experience was like those "magic eye" drawings, that don't look like anything at first but if you stare at them in a certain way, suddenly a 3D image appears. cool10.gif

VT has a hard, raw, modern rock sound.

I would take VT over any album from PowW to T4E. Definately over PowW and HYF moon.gif

Ditto.

goodpost.gif X 2

trink39.gif

I thought Rush was done, but we got VT. A solid 9 - material is brilliant. I like the raw sound - very appropriate to the band's experiences.

Mind you this is in relation to all Rush albums, not all albums from any band ever. All albums from any band, its closer to a 6-7.

trink39.gif

7's, 8's and 9's? Seriously?

Someday I'm going to have to buy another copy of this disc, because the one I have has badly written depressing repetitive songs with precious little melody, Geddy choirs and no guitar solos whatsoever, all draped in a sludgy soup of a mix/master that renders it physically painful to listen to. I can only assume the people here rating this album so highly are listening to the finished product where all these problems were fixed.

I'm assuming the copy I have must have been an accidental studio leak of a very rough early demo before they scrapped the project and started over. Maybe it's worth something? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 12 2012, 07:00 AM)
7's, 8's and 9's? Seriously?

Someday I'm going to have to buy another copy of this disc, because the one I have has badly written depressing repetitive songs with precious little melody, Geddy choirs and no guitar solos whatsoever, all draped in a sludgy soup of a mix/master that renders it physically painful to listen to. I can only assume the people here rating this album so highly are listening to the finished product where all these problems were fixed.

I'm assuming the copy I have must have been an accidental studio leak of a very rough early demo before they scrapped the project and started over. Maybe it's worth something? confused13.gif

beathorse.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 12 2012, 04:47 AM)
7's, 8's and 9's?  Seriously?

Someday I'm going to have to buy another copy of this disc, because the one I have has badly written depressing repetitive songs with precious little melody, Geddy choirs and no guitar solos whatsoever, all draped in a sludgy soup of a mix/master that renders it physically painful to listen to.  I can only assume the people here rating this album so highly are listening to the finished product where all these problems were fixed. 

I'm assuming the copy I have must have been an accidental studio leak of a very rough early demo before they scrapped the project and started over.  Maybe it's worth something? confused13.gif

beathorse.gif

laugh.gif

It's the only explanation that makes sense to me. That, or prevalent heavy, heavy drug use by a significant portion of TRF. confused13.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 12 2012, 06:47 AM)

Someday I'm going to have to buy another copy of this disc, because the one I have has badly written depressing repetitive songs with precious little melody, Geddy choirs and no guitar solos whatsoever, all draped in a sludgy soup of a mix/master that renders it physically painful to listen to.  I can only assume the people here rating this album so highly are listening to the finished product where all these problems were fixed. 

I'm assuming the copy I have must have been an accidental studio leak of a very rough early demo before they scrapped the project and started over.  Maybe it's worth something? confused13.gif

beathorse.gif

laugh.gif

Consider the source... smile.gif

ph34r.gif twilightfan ph34r.gif

That's it! Nicely stated - although I'm quite certain you don't mean that as a compliment. That's one of the reasons that it ranks so high for me. It hurts. Very Addams family, isn't it?

IMO, VT is the most emotionally transparent album of Rush's career. It physically hurts to listen to the album. I think it is supposed to hurt. Their anguish is palpable.

Thanks! smile.gif