Rate Vapor Trails

Gompers

How do you rate Vapor Trails?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Vapor Trails?

I searched for this type of poll and didn't find it, so I post it now. We are coming up on its 10 year anniversary so let see how it aged. Maybe better for some, maybe no so much for others.

To mimic the other poll, I did not add a 0 (zero) rating.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Production blows. 7

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 5 2012, 01:48 PM)
1 because I can't sit through it.

I have trouble listening start to finish as well. It just isn't enjoyable. A couple of good tunes, but that is it.

I regularly skip One Little Victory, The Stars Look Down, and How it Is, but I like the other songs, especially Earthshine, Sweet Miracle, Ghost Rider, and Secret Touch. None of them, however, rank among my top ten Rush songs... or top fifteen... or top twenty-five. I don't find the horrid production to be quite as much of a deterrent as many other people do, but it definitely makes a mess of some tunes (like poor Ceiling Unlimited). And the lack of Lifeson solos is a huge negative.

Right then, the score... I dunno... 6? As far as Rush's studio albums go, I have VT ranked sixteenth, so I can't exactly give it a top-of-the-class grade; but I certainly like it, so I don't want to give it a bad score either.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Apr 5 2012, 10:50 AM)

Loses one point for production value, and one point for a couple of clunkers (like Freeze).

Other than that, I absolutely love it. I still listen to it frequently.

Ceiling Unlimited and Earthshine are way up on my list.

"A couple of clunkers like Freeze"

Granted that which songs you like is entirely up to opinion, I find the weak links of the album to be Sweet Miracle, The Stars Look Down, and How It Is.

Definitely a solid effort by the band, I'm fond of the album. I rated it an 8. Some songs impress, such as Secret Touch and Ghost Rider.

Hmmm I had to go with a 4. There really is not a lot of musical variety on this album. Most of the songs are mid tempo rock songs. Nothing real quiet or slow, nothing real heavy or fast, it's just all kind of in the middle for pretty much the entire album. Like they just got in a groove with 1 song then wrote a bunch of songs like it, then forgot how to write other kinds of songs. There just no real highs or lows, just sort of in safe cruise control the entire time.

Plus the fact that it sounds like some poor garage band recording. So yeah, overall this one is pretty dull for me. Im scoring relative to their other work though. Of course relative to Justin Bieber it's a 10.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 5 2012, 10:48 AM)
1 because I can't sit through it.

I also voted 1.

There have been threads where we rated each Rush album 0-10. In the past I've given it 0.5 only because of the first 15 seconds of OLV which is cool, and because it's Rush I didn't want to give them a full on ZERO, but sadly it deserves that from me.

If there was an option for 0, however, I would have rounded down to 0 as opposed to up to 1. It's completely unlistenable to me, and not just because of the sound quality.

I love Vapor Trails. I recently found a fan remix on Demonoid and it was very well done. Suddenly I could hear the whole album without the wall of sound. I always liked it before, but now I am enamored once more. Vapor Trails is a unique moment that we, as Rush fans, thought we might never have and yet here it is. Everything after VT is gravy.

Clockwork Angels may be an even greater achievement. We thought we lost Rush and then they returned. We got a new album (Snakes And Arrows) and more tours, but now we have what may be an outstanding late period Rush album coming our way in just a few days. It's a great time to be a Rush fan.

I didnt have to think about this one for a second. I gave it a 1. IMO, it is EASILY their worst album. Even if one can look (or hear) past the piss poor production, I think almost every song sucks. The entire album sounds uninspired and like a band that is sick of making records, not a band that is making their first album in 6 years together. However, the worst part is that almost every single song is too damn long, and I dont mean to say that I dislike their old epic prog songs either. The songs on VT were in BAD need of editing. There is almost no evidence of even a hint of melody and it just sounds tired.

Now, compare VT to S&A and its a totally different story. They sound energized, the songs have beautiful melodies and there is good editing and song structure throughout. Every year I get out VT to make sure my opinions are still valid and every year, I barely can make it through the whole album. It's just terrible. I could go the rest of my life without hearing any of those songs live. However, there is one good aspect about them playing VT tracks in concert...it gives me a chance to go to the bathroom.

At 36 votes, we have a score of 6.7. Snakes and Arrows and VT are neck and neck. However, other polls pitting them head to head, "which do you like better", S&A has a definite advantage.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...hl=Snakes+Vapor

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=28520&hl=

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 6 2012, 06:36 AM)
At 36 votes, we have a score of 6.7. Snakes and Arrows and VT are neck and neck. However, other polls pitting them head to head, "which do you like better", S&A has a definite advantage.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=28520&hl=

You are really into this huh laugh.gif