Rush Japanese SHM-CD first pressings available!

ak2112

Hello all,

Just wanted to let you guys know that the Japanese mini-LP SHM-CD's are available once again from CDJapan. They will be released on May 23rd and if you order now, you can get first pressing bonuses like posters, etc. that only come with first issues. They cost about $30 a piece, so they arent exactly cheap, but these things are an investment. Many are going for $80 or $90 on ebay and I'm sure these will be no different as they will go out of print quickly. The packaging is really first rate and for the most part they are mastered pretty good; maybe not as well as say a Mofi or Japanese first pressing from the 80's, but a whole lot better than the god-awful 97 remasters and the not much better than awful Sector remasters. They are works or art and sound pretty good. A must for any serious Rush music collector. Enjoy!

Edited by ak2112

The discs are $30 and the shipping will run between $5 and $20, depending if you ship "SAL", whatever that is, or FedEx. Pretty pricey. That's audiophile money right there. That's upwards of 700-1000% more expensive than a US pressing. Is it really 700-1000% better? Not to most people, it's not.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 2 2012, 08:59 PM)
The discs are $30 and the shipping will run between $5 and $20, depending if you ship "SAL", whatever that is, or FedEx. Pretty pricey. That's audiophile money right there. That's upwards of 700-1000% more expensive than a US pressing. Is it really 700-1000% better? Not to most people, it's not.

I paid $14 total for shipping 4 CD's. That's $3.50 per disc or about $33 for each CD. I'm not sure what math you're using but that's right in line with many audiophile CD's and nowhere near 700% or 1000% more than a US pressing unless you're talking about a CD from a bargain bin. Have you even seen or heard one of these SHM-CD's??

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 3 2012, 10:59 AM)

Walk into a shop out here and you can buy them for 1000 to 2000 yen (I guess that'd be about 12-24 bucks these days). Just sayin'.

Almost certainly, CA will cost me 2500 yen next month.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 2 2012, 08:31 PM)

I paid $14 total for shipping 4 CD's. That's $3.50 per disc or about $33 for each CD. I'm not sure what math you're using but that's right in line with many audiophile CD's and nowhere near 700% or 1000% more than a US pressing unless you're talking about a CD from a bargain bin. Have you even seen or heard one of these SHM-CD's??

The math I'm using is that Best Buy is selling the back catalog for $4.99 each going by a recent thread here. At $5 each, spending $50 on a Japanese import (with FedEx shipping) is a 1000% increase. If you only pay the lowest shipping, it's $35 each, or 750% increase.

Are these releases that much better? Do they sound, on an average sound system, 750% or 1000% better than a US pressing? Because that's a hell of an endorsement if so.

I don't have the equipment required to make the most of that technology, and I'd wager that the average consumer doesn't, either. Audiophiles go nuts for this stuff, and that's fine, I'm not putting that down. They're the ones with $20,000 home sound systems. For the rest of us, we can't tell the difference between something that's awesome and something that's awesome-awesome.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 2 2012, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 3 2012, 10:59 AM)

Walk into a shop out here and you can buy them for 1000 to 2000 yen (I guess that'd be about 12-24 bucks these days). Just sayin'.

Almost certainly, CA will cost me 2500 yen next month.

I'm just going by the prices listed on the website linked to in this thread, that's all. 2457yen is the price on the site.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 3 2012, 12:49 AM)

The math I'm using is that Best Buy is selling the back catalog for $4.99 each going by a recent thread here. At $5 each, spending $50 on a Japanese import (with FedEx shipping) is a 1000% increase. If you only pay the lowest shipping, it's $35 each, or 750% increase.

Are these releases that much better? Do they sound, on an average sound system, 750% or 1000% better than a US pressing? Because that's a hell of an endorsement if so.

I don't have the equipment required to make the most of that technology, and I'd wager that the average consumer doesn't, either. Audiophiles go nuts for this stuff, and that's fine, I'm not putting that down. They're the ones with $20,000 home sound systems. For the rest of us, we can't tell the difference between something that's awesome and something that's awesome-awesome.

I paid $3.50 in shipping. Not sure where you got that. Since they'll be going for $90 and up once they go OOP I'd say they're worth it from a collection aspect at least.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 3 2012, 12:20 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 3 2012, 12:49 AM)

I paid $3.50 in shipping. Not sure where you got that. Since they'll be going for $90 and up once they go OOP I'd say they're worth it from a collection aspect at least.

I got it by plugging in my location in that site's shopping cart. If you paid something different, it's only because we live in different parts of the country, I suppose.

I see your point about the value increasing once they go OOP, and I'll tell ya... if I had $600 or so to "invest" right now I'd buy them all, sit on them until they went OOP and double my money putting them up on eBay. No argument there.

But even taking shipping cost completely out of the equation, they're still $30 each, or 600% more expensive than buying them at Best Buy. Will they sound 600% better to the average consumer? I still say no. They'll sound amazing to audiophiles with high-end sound systems, I'm not arguing that. If I had such a system I'd be all over these. But I don't, and most people don't. And the only reason I'm making these points is because someone should say this stuff before some unwitting member drops a few hundred bucks on some discs that won't sound any better on his computer speakers or boom box.

QUOTE (reani14 @ Apr 5 2012, 04:16 PM)
only one iam intrested in that i dont have is. power windows. I have most of the SHM and the artwork and packaging is first rate. wayyy better than the selectors ones.

Then you should definately pick up Power Windows on SHM when it comes out. It is one of the best, if not the best sounding of the SHM Rush albums. I have it and rank it a close second to my Japanese 32.8P first pressing CD.

Pre ordered it from cdjapan, it ended up costing me 50$ with shipping. and it wont ship till may 23rd. so it would take 3 weeks after that. Screw that. so i went to ebay and seen what else i can find. found a guy selling in in Nj brand new for $39.99 plus 2.50 for shipping. and so i cancelled the cdjapan order and bought it off this guy.. so it should be here next week at the latest..