3.Natural Science

4.Hemispheres

6.The Camera Eye

7.Jacob's Ladder

8.Fountain Of Lamneth

9.By-Tor & The Snow Dog

10.Cygnus X-1

11.The Necromancer

#1-#5 will always be in those positions. The other 6 will move around....

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 31 2012, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Mar 31 2012, 08:30 AM)
2) The Camera Eye - Among the "epics," it seems this one gets ranked either toward the top or the bottom of most fans' lists. I absolutely love it. The keyboard melody can become lodged in my head for hours after listening. I love the way the drums sort of spill into the fold after the drawn out introduction. Geddy's vocals are top notch: "The focus is sharp in the city." And, above all else, I love the lyrics. I don't really obsess to much over Neil's lyrics, probably because I don't like some of them. But The Camera Eye (and Moving Pictures in general) delivers such a fresh lyrical style for Neil from which I think the band benefited--a style that PeW no doubt played a role in fostering. I mean, I love Hemispheres, Xanadu, and 2112 as much as the next guy, but it's nice to see Neil writing about something a bit more innocent, and concrete--pun intended.

I never quite got the lyrics in TCE like I did with every other song on Moving Pictures. The whole "the focus is sharp in the city" and just the theme of the song always seemed perhaps a bit clinical and cold to me. I generally don't obsess over lyrics myself, but with Rush, their lyrics are so significant and meaningful that I can't help but pay attention and have them in some way influence my enjoyment of their songs. Obviously, they have done MUCH worse lyrically. I mean, we're not talking "season of the itch" here, but MP is of such a ridiculously high lyrical standard that the lyrics seem a tad weak by comparison. Also, it seems, unlike other epics of theirs, it's a song that to a degree was done twice in a row to extend it, as opposed to it being really novel musically and lyrically all the way through. They could have cut the song in half and it would have been pretty much as effective.

THAT SAID, it's still a GREAT song. That song by another group could easily be their best song and considered a prog classic. It's just that Moving Pictures maintains such a ridiculously high level of quality that it stands out for me as being the only slightly weaker spot. Even still I'd give it a solid 8.5 out of 10, and I've enjoyed the song many, many times.

Well, please allow me to elaborate, and even walk a couple of ideas back a bit.

I don't have a ton of time at the moment to craft a fancy post, so I apologize in advance for the lack of organization.

I do pay attention to Neil's lyrics, that statement was a bit misleading on my part. There are particular songs whose lyrics bother me because I either don't agree with them politically, or I find them sophomoric. (And that is not a comment on the AFTK/Hemispheres era, which are two of my favorite albums both lyrically and musically.) But I always know what Neil is singing about, and I truly love a majority of his lyrics.

As for The Camera Eye specifically, let me establish a little more context for my adoration of that song. For most of my years as a Rush fan that was the one song on MP I tended to skip over or sort of relegated to background status when it played. Why? Because I too thought it was a little repetitive and I thought the lyrics were sort of mundane and pointless alongside the other MP tracks. And yes, it does seem a bit clinical and cold.

But so do the lyrics and music to Vital Signs. Whenever I listen to Vital Signs I feel like I'm in a hospital, laid out on an operating table, attached to machines. And even YYZ, despite being an instrumental, feels clinical and cold to me, like an airport. Brilliant, right?!

In my teenage years I thought Witch Hunt was the coolest song on MP--"Witch Hunt, dude!" And I didn't really care for The Camera Eye or Vital Signs at all. Now, as an adult, it's quite the opposite experience for me. I find Witch Hunt a bit gimmicky and flat. And The Camera Eye and Vital Signs constantly battle with Limelight for position as my favorite song on MP. In so many words, part of my adoration for The Camera Eye (and Vital Signs) stems from the fact that it is still fresh to me after all these years. It's just a song that I'm really "in to" at the moment.

And, real quick before I say something about the lyrics, let me go on record as saying I think The Camera Eye, along with Limelight, is possibly the greatest sounding track in the entire Rush catalog--the mix and tone of the instruments on TCE is about as good as Rush gets.

Anyway, I mentioned that I used to find The Camera Eye's lyrics "mundane." But that's exactly the point. Upon further review, what I love is Neil's ability to capture the energy of a phenomenon that seems so arbitrary and casual--people navigating NYC. It's an example of Neil taking a snapshot (pun intended) of an everyday scene or occurrence and locating the world within a world. This runs contrast to his previous tendency to completely fashion fictional or semi-fictional stories from the ground up--a trend he was already moving away from on PeW, as previously mentioned.

In TCE, Neil either sees something that the average individual takes for granted, or he successfully puts into words something that the average person feels, but maybe cannot articulate in a meaningful way. And, finally, I simply love walking around New York City. So the song resonates with me personally.

I apologize if I'm not entirely clear in my opinion, but that's all I have time for at the moment. Let me add one last thing: I've been a songwriter for thirteen years, and a musician for just over twenty. Something I've wanted to achieve in recent years is a shift away from the personal love and loss-type lyrical narratives to something a little less biased, or impenetrable. The Camera Eye represents the type of lyrics I would like to have some success with, but have not really had much luck. Graduate study has to some degree resulted in the loss of my lyrical muse. So I find The Camera Eye completely inspired, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for indulging my opinion of this song, Goober. You and I seem to agree on most everything where Rush's music is concerned (as realized in a separate thread). And I don't think we are that far apart here, to be sure.

You clearly like the song, and hopefully my thoughts help explain the value a fellow Rush fan might find in the lyrics.

Thanks for establishing a great thread. And thank you for always being such a diplomatic board member!

1. Hemispheres (IMO, one of Rush's best songs. I just love it)

2. 2112 (same as above, but just a little less awesome)

3. La Villa Strangiato

4. Natural Science

5. Xanadu (R30 live, the studio version goes down two spots)

6. Cygnus X-1

7. Jacob's Ladder (it's a great song, everything from here and above doesn't differ by many degrees of greatness in my book)

8. The Camera Eye (sounds amazing when listening to MP from start to finish, sound pretty good out of context too)

9. By-Tor and the Snow Dog (not one of Rush's best moments due to the overly slow progression of the music and excessively long/boring instrumental section in the middle. It would probably be a great song if they cut a few minutes from the center)

11.The Necromancer/The Fountain of Lamneth (I dislike both of these equally)

1. LVS (this one does not change)

2. Hemispheres book 2

3. Xanadu

4. Nat Science

5. Jacob's Ladder

6. 2112

7. The Camera Eye

8. Cygnus X-1

9. Bytor

10. Necromancer

11. Fountain Of Lamneth

I love all of these tremendously, the ones closest to the top I love just a little more.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 1 2012, 11:06 AM)
2) The Camera Eye - Among the "epics," it seems this one gets ranked either toward the top or the bottom of most fans' lists. I absolutely love it. The keyboard melody can become lodged in my head for hours after listening. I love the way the drums sort of spill into the fold after the drawn out introduction. Geddy's vocals are top notch: "The focus is sharp in the city." And, above all else, I love the lyrics. I don't really obsess to much over Neil's lyrics, probably because I don't like some of them. But The Camera Eye (and Moving Pictures in general) delivers such a fresh lyrical style for Neil from which I think the band benefited--a style that PeW no doubt played a role in fostering. I mean, I love Hemispheres, Xanadu, and 2112 as much as the next guy, but it's nice to see Neil writing about something a bit more innocent, and concrete--pun intended.

I never quite got the lyrics in TCE like I did with every other song on Moving Pictures. The whole "the focus is sharp in the city" and just the theme of the song always seemed perhaps a bit clinical and cold to me. I generally don't obsess over lyrics myself, but with Rush, their lyrics are so significant and meaningful that I can't help but pay attention and have them in some way influence my enjoyment of their songs. Obviously, they have done MUCH worse lyrically. I mean, we're not talking "season of the itch" here, but MP is of such a ridiculously high lyrical standard that the lyrics seem a tad weak by comparison. Also, it seems, unlike other epics of theirs, it's a song that to a degree was done twice in a row to extend it, as opposed to it being really novel musically and lyrically all the way through. They could have cut the song in half and it would have been pretty much as effective.

THAT SAID, it's still a GREAT song. That song by another group could easily be their best song and considered a prog classic. It's just that Moving Pictures maintains such a ridiculously high level of quality that it stands out for me as being the only slightly weaker spot. Even still I'd give it a solid 8.5 out of 10, and I've enjoyed the song many, many times.

I don't have a ton of time at the moment to craft a fancy post, so I apologize in advance for the lack of organization.

I do pay attention to Neil's lyrics, that statement was a bit misleading on my part. There are particular songs whose lyrics bother me because I either don't agree with them politically, or I find them sophomoric. (And that is not a comment on the AFTK/Hemispheres era, which are two of my favorite albums both lyrically and musically.) But I always know what Neil is singing about, and I truly love a majority of his lyrics.

As for The Camera Eye specifically, let me establish a little more context for my adoration of that song. For most of my years as a Rush fan that was the one song on MP I tended to skip over or sort of relegated to background status when it played. Why? Because I too thought it was a little repetitive and I thought the lyrics were sort of mundane and pointless alongside the other MP tracks. And yes, it does seem a bit clinical and cold.

But so do the lyrics and music to Vital Signs. Whenever I listen to Vital Signs I feel like I'm in a hospital, laid out on an operating table, attached to machines. And even YYZ, despite being an instrumental, feels clinical and cold to me, like an airport. Brilliant, right?!

In my teenage years I thought Witch Hunt was the coolest song on MP--"Witch Hunt, dude!" And I didn't really care for The Camera Eye or Vital Signs at all. Now, as an adult, it's quite the opposite experience for me. I find Witch Hunt a bit gimmicky and flat. And The Camera Eye and Vital Signs constantly battle with Limelight for position as my favorite song on MP. In so many words, part of my adoration for The Camera Eye (and Vital Signs) stems from the fact that it is still fresh to me after all these years. It's just a song that I'm really "in to" at the moment.

And, real quick before I say something about the lyrics, let me go on record as saying I think The Camera Eye, along with Limelight, is possibly the greatest sounding track in the entire Rush catalog--the mix and tone of the instruments on TCE is about as good as Rush gets.

Anyway, I mentioned that I used to find The Camera Eye's lyrics "mundane." But that's exactly the point. Upon further review, what I love is Neil's ability to capture the energy of a phenomenon that seems so arbitrary and casual--people navigating NYC. It's an example of Neil taking a snapshot (pun intended) of an everyday scene or occurrence and locating the world within a world. This runs contrast to his previous tendency to completely fashion fictional or semi-fictional stories from the ground up--a trend he was already moving away from on PeW, as previously mentioned.

In TCE, Neil either sees something that the average individual takes for granted, or he successfully puts into words something that the average person feels, but maybe cannot articulate in a meaningful way. And, finally, I simply love walking around New York City. So the song resonates with me personally.

I apologize if I'm not entirely clear in my opinion, but that's all I have time for at the moment. Let me add one last thing: I've been a songwriter for thirteen years, and a musician for just over twenty. Something I've wanted to achieve in recent years is a shift away from the personal love and loss-type lyrical narratives to something a little less biased, or impenetrable. The Camera Eye represents the type of lyrics I would like to have some success with, but have not really had much luck. Graduate study has to some degree resulted in the loss of my lyrical muse. So I find The Camera Eye completely inspired, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for indulging my opinion of this song, Goober. You and I seem to agree on most everything where Rush's music is concerned (as realized in a separate thread). And I don't think we are that far apart here, to be sure.

You clearly like the song, and hopefully my thoughts help explain the value a fellow Rush fan might find in the lyrics.

Thanks for establishing a great thread. And thank you for always being such a diplomatic board member!

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 1 2012, 09:06 AM)

Thank you for your very kind post. smile.gif

Yeah, I just never quite moved past:

For most of my years as a Rush fan that was the one song on MP I tended to skip over or sort of relegated to background status when it played. Why? Because I too thought it was a little repetitive and I thought the lyrics were sort of mundane and pointless alongside the other MP tracks. And yes, it does seem a bit clinical and cold.

Even still, I do enjoy the song. I'm open to liking it more, and based on your post, next time I hear it I will endeavor to listen with fresh ears. smile.gif

trink39.gif

11. The Necromancer

10. The Fountain of Lamneth

9. By-tor and the Snow Dog

8. Hemispheres

7. Cygnus X-1

6. 2112

1-5. Xanadu/ La Villa Strangiato/ Jacob's Ladder/ Natural Science/ The Camera Eye

i honestly can't decide rankings for the top 5. Xanadu is pure badassery, La Villa is instrumental badassery, Jacobs Ladder is thematic, Natural Science is when i feel they perfected the multi-parted song formula as it feels whole and complete and it doesn't feel disjointed, and The Camera Eye is also thematic and i love playing it on guitar.

2112 would also be tied, but it doesn't consistently flow as well as the others.

One thing that baffles me is when people don't have Xanadu and La Villa at #1 and #2, or at least close to the top.

Don't get me wrong, I love most of the other epics on the list, but those two songs are sheer perfection.

I know, I know, it's just personal taste, but those two songs in particular are simply out of this world IMHO. yes.gif wub.gif wub.gif

La Villa Strangiato- TM Live version is probably my favorite thing that Rush has ever done. There are no words to describe this song.

Natural Science- The perfect epic. It's like a roller coaster ride. It never lets up for a second until it's over.

2112- The perfect story telling song. Everybody that has truely listened to this song has been moved by it. A classic through and through.

The Camera Eye- I didn't really"get" this song until I heard it live. Hopefully they play this again next tour.

I have less to say about these, they're all still great in their own way, but they're just a tad less remarkable to me.

Xanadu

Hemispheres

Cygnus X-1

Jacob's Ladder

These are good, not necessarily great but I still enjoy them.

By-Tor and the Snow Dog

The Necromancer

And then there's this:

The Fountain of Lamneth- Parts of this song are good. No one at the Bridge is very good, but this song is weighed down by things like Didacts and Narpets. This song needed to happen, but I just don't like it as a whole.

Edited by Dscrapre

These songs are all so wonderful that it will be tough to put anything near the bottom. I wish I could put them all at #1, but that wouldn't be right.

Coincidentally, these are 11 of my top 12 Rush tunes (AFTK joining the club)

The Fountain Of Lamneth

The Necromancer

Hemispheres

La Villa Strangiato

Xanadu

By-Tor and the Snow Dog

Cygnus X1

Natural Science

The Camera Eye

Jacob's Ladder

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Mar 31 2012, 07:47 AM)
1. The Fountain of Lamneth
2. The Necromancer
3. Hemispheres
4. 2112
5. La Villa Strangiato
6. Cygnus X-1
7. Xanadu
8. By-Tor and the Snow Dog
9. Jacob's Ladder
10. Natural Science
11. The Camera Eye

goodpost.gif

By far, the closest list to mine.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 2 2012, 11:36 PM)
One thing that baffles me is when people don't have Xanadu and La Villa at #1 and #2, or at least close to the top.

Don't get me wrong, I love most of the other epics on the list, but those two songs are sheer perfection.

I know, I know, it's just personal taste, but those two songs in particular are simply out of this world IMHO. yes.gif wub.gif wub.gif

I'm with you on this one.

Hemispheres - Cool, flawless story, the chills run deep at "THEN ALL AT ONCE THE CHAOS CEASED," it's got some of my favorite guitar solos, it has a such a great characteristic sound (that first chord); roller coaster of tension and release; sections of squeamish, harsh tonality followed gracefully by beautiful sections. This is just your typical masterpiece.

The Fountain of Lamneth - It was one of my favorites at the first listen, and has remained equally good. I want to know who the hell thought of that final hit at the end. That one moment AMAZES me every single time. The story really wrenches my heart for me. Grand scale, LOTR-esque adventure, shadowed by aching misery through the entire voyage, only to wane fruitlessly at its destination. The conclusion is much more powerful than Hemispheres'. This isn't just one of my favorite Rush songs, it's my favorite emotional journey expressed in any medium.

Natural Science - Perfect way to get your blood rushing. In fact, it's so fitting that it's played by a band named "Rush."

La Villa Strangiato - Expert display of unrivaled musicianship. All the parts are tight as a padlock.

Cygnus X-1 - I love the chilling, intense feeling of desperate fear that overwhelms you when you really focus on listening to it. The intro narration is like the slow ascension to the top of the roller coaster.

Jacob's Ladder - One of the best compositions ever, though nothing outstandingly impressive from a performance perspective. Has a charm of simplicity, while actually being notably complicated under the hood.

Xanadu - Wields all the noble greatness of those above it, but falls slightly more flat. I never know where to put this song, and I never know what to say about it. Mer.

By-Tor and the Snow Dog - Almost shocking in how daring it is. Its tonality is very weird, and - as a result - a bit shaky to listen to. It's thrilling that such a weird song can be received so well. I think you can sum up its charms with the word "Weird." I love the dizzyingly random-but-none-the-less-impressive fills by each part.

The Camera Eye - Annoyingly catchy. tongue.gif I love it, not much I can say, just too repetitive. It's a good example of synthesizers done right.

2112 - Dramatically over-rated, though I appreciate that it is able to break through to the mainstream, with the handicap of being an epic. Everything about this piece is great, except the composition, which is just too ham-fisted. This song is kind of the definition of "Ham-fisted" for me.

The Necromancer - I've said this song was good before, but sometimes I think about taking that back. It's really not that good, is it? tongue.gif

Xanadu

La Villa Strangiato

By-Tor and the Snow Dog

The Camera Eye

Natural Science

The Necromancer

The Fountain of Lamneth

Cygnus X-1

Hemispheres

Jacob's Ladder

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 3 2012, 01:15 AM)
2. The Necromancer
3. Hemispheres
4. 2112
5. La Villa Strangiato
6. Cygnus X-1
7. Xanadu
9. Jacob's Ladder
10. Natural Science
11. The Camera Eye

goodpost.gif

trink39.gif I would also add AFTK to this list.

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Apr 3 2012, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 3 2012, 01:15 AM)
2. The Necromancer
3. Hemispheres
4. 2112
5. La Villa Strangiato
6. Cygnus X-1
7. Xanadu
9. Jacob's Ladder
10. Natural Science
11. The Camera Eye

goodpost.gif

trink39.gif I would also add AFTK to this list.

I stuck with songs that were 7 minutes or longer that were distinctly prog. AFTK, while being a brilliant song, is under 6 - doesn't quite fit for me with that particular definition of epic, but it is an epic song in terms of greatness.

1. La Villa Strangiato

2. Xanadu

3. Natural Science

4. The Necromancer

5. 2112

6. The Fountain of Lamneth

7. Hemispheres

9. The Camera Eye

10. Cygnus X-1

11. Jacob's Ladder

Like any other Rush songs...the rankings vary depending on the day.

One thing is for sure...all 11 kick major ass. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2012, 03:17 PM)

[/quote]
I stuck with songs that were 7 minutes or longer that were distinctly prog. AFTK, while being a brilliant song, is under 6 - doesn't quite fit for me with that particular definition of epic, but it is an epic song in terms of greatness.

The AFTK was in reference to my favorite 12 songs. 11 of them were the epics you listed and AFTK is the only "non-epic" in my top 12.

cool.gif

Now I think I will listen to another epic tune: I'm in the mood for a '71 or '72 Dark Star.

OK, here is my take:

1. Hemispheres

2. Xanadu

3. Natural Science

4. The Camera Eye

5. La Villa Strangiato

6. 2112

7. Cygnus X-1

8. Jacob's Ladder

9. The Fountain of Lamneth

10. By-Tor and the Snow Dog

11. The Necromancer

Cygnus X-1

Hemispheres

The Necromancer

The Fountain of Lamneth

By-Tor and the Snow Dog

Natural Science

Xanadu

La Villa Strangiato

Jacob's Ladder

The Camera Eye

But this can change on a daily basis.... I'd have to put these all as #1's for the most part.

Hemispheres

Xanadu

Natural Science

La Villa Strangiatto

The Camera Eye

Jacobs Ladder

Cygnus X1

By-Tor & the Snowdog

The Necromancer

Fountain of Lamneth

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k