The New Album and Tour..

That One Guy

Like everyone else, I'm extremely excited for Clockwork Angels, and the fall tour. But when the Time Machine Tour was announced, I got my hands on the setlist as fast as i could and stared it downtil the concert. This left little surprise in my mind during the show.

I think for this tour (one of the last) I'm gonna do myself a personal favorite and absolutely not take a peek at the setlist before the show... Complete surprise every time a song ends, wondering what the next song will be..

It sure wasn't fun the last two years knowing exactly how many songs were left before the show was over.

Has anyone ever starved themselves of the playlist before the tour? Was it worth it?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a doubt, it was a breeze to remain spoiler-free before the internet. From 1981 to 1997, I had no idea of the set and that's the way I prefer it.

I managed to remain spoiler-free for the Vapor Trails, R-30, and Time Machine tours by avoiding certain threads on several Rush boards.

For the S&A tour, I found out about Circumstances and Passage to Bangkok due to song titles being the subject line of the thread. Not bad, considering.

Since I pretty much became a serious fan AT my first show of the last tour, I hadn't been paying close attention to the setlist going in. It was great that, of the songs I hadn't heard before, my first experience of them was live. They absolutely blew me away. On the other hand, it didn't spoil my second show to know what they were going to play; in fact, my boyfriend preferred being a little more familiar with the setlist before going again. He was a lot less familiar with Rush than I was.

I think I'm going to be way too curious about next tour's setlist to avoid reading about it. If Bristow, VA ends up being the first show of the tour, though, I may well find out at the show, since I'm planning on being there. I DO think that would be incredibly awesome.

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Mar 28 2012, 07:43 PM)
Like everyone else, I'm extremely excited for Clockwork Angels, and the fall tour. But when the Time Machine Tour was announced, I got my hands on the setlist as fast as i could and stared it downtil the concert. This left little surprise in my mind during the show.

I think for this tour (one of the last) I'm gonna do myself a personal favorite and absolutely not take a peek at the setlist before the show... Complete surprise every time a song ends, wondering what the next song will be..

It sure wasn't fun the last two years knowing exactly how many songs were left before the show was over.

Has anyone ever starved themselves of the playlist before the tour? Was it worth it?

if you don't know the setlist you can't plan your pee breaks accordingly.

It doesnt even matter to me what the setlist is. I'm going to this tour knowing there is a pretty decent change it's the last time I will ever get to see them live. The setlist is just totally not important to me this time around. Edited by trenken

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 28 2012, 09:13 PM)

Yeah, it's called intermission.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 28 2012, 08:13 PM)

I wouldn't miss any song on purpose just to take a piss. They could play I Think I'm Going Bald and I would sit through it.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 28 2012, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 28 2012, 09:13 PM)

Yeah, it's called intermission.

unless they play roll the bones, faithless, s & a.... tongue.gif

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Mar 28 2012, 09:02 PM)

I wouldn't miss any song on purpose just to take a piss. They could play I Think I'm Going Bald and I would sit through it.

my ass would be glued to the seat for i think i'm going bald.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 28 2012, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (That One Guy @ Mar 28 2012, 09:02 PM)

my ass would be jumping up and down like crazy for i think im going bald

fix'd

C:

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Mar 29 2012, 12:11 AM)
If you can't go an hour and a half without peeing you should see a doctor soon. Glad I don't have to miss any songs due to that problem.

depends on how much beer you drink. the weaker the setlist the more beer i consume which sets up multiple pee breaks. this is why i like to know the setlist, so i can strategically plan when i fuel up and skip out. sort of like a revolving door. tongue.gif

I have followed this band since 1976, saw the 2112 tour & just about every one since. In the early days there was no "pre"knowledge of setlists, unless you knew someone associated with the band... not even local DJs (whom I knew several) had any idea or connections. You just went to the shows, smoked a mess of weed & went WOW!!!!

In the early 90s, however, things changed. I think it was the RTB tour where I actually knew what they were going to play from start to finish (maybe it was Counterparts tour, can't remember). At the time I felt "special", like I had some inside info & a key to the band's vault.

Every tour since then I have always been "spoiled" & known what was going to be played... in fact it has become a habit to "spoil" every major concert I see anymore.

A few months ago I went to see Bob Seger & this time I had not even the slightest inclination to check setlists or length of show. I pretty much guessed the show length to within 5 minutes just based on instinct, but had no idea whatsoever what was going to be played. I gotta admit it was an absolute blast... just like the "old days" (except without the weed lol).

This time for Rush's new tour, no setlists for me. Gonna rely on the element of surprise entirely.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 29 2012, 08:06 AM)
If you can't go an hour and a half without peeing you should see a doctor soon. Glad I don't have to miss any songs due to that problem.

depends on how much beer you drink. the weaker the setlist the more beer i consume which sets up multiple pee breaks. this is why i like to know the setlist, so i can strategically plan when i fuel up and skip out. sort of like a revolving door. tongue.gif

I never have problems knowing when to go. I know when stuff like Between Sun and Moon, RTB, S&A songs, anything like that, I'm out of there. Unfortunately that's when everyone else goes so the bathrooms are absolutely mobbed.

The best time to go for me really is during the popular songs they play on every tour Ive seen them play a million times. I could live without seeing Tom Sawyer ever again, so thats a great time for me to go.

I have NEVER wanted to know anything about the setlist. To be blunt, I will never understand why anyone would want to know it in advance. What a freekin' SPOILER.... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif There is nothing greater than standing there, in the crowd, with the final chords of the last song resonating in your head, wondering what the next great song will be.....hoping it will be Entre Nous, or Presto, or whatever......

The excitement and the anticipation of the unknown is the best part of the Show....!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

These days I check the setlist ahead of time just for the hell of it. I dont view it as being a spoiler or anything. It's not like going to a move that's based around the story, of course you wouldnt want spoilers for that, but ive heard every Rush song, doesnt matter to me what they play.

I remember when my parents took me to Rush shows in the mid 80s when I was around 10 and had no idea what they would be playing. It was kind of cool then but it doesnt matter to me these days. Like I said earlier, I couldnt care less about what they play. Now its just about me seeing them knowing they're getting close to the end.

Edited by trenken

No peeks for me this time.. I hope Rush doesn't post the thing on their website again.. I don't know what made them think that was a good idea. I'll have to avoid the tour forum, which should be easy. The hard part will be Youtube. I'm on there a lot and I've liked a lot of Rush videos so whenever someone posts a new tour video, I see it somewhere on the main page.

But yeah, I'm totally avoiding this as best I can. If they play all of 2112, I want a moment of suspense between Temples and Discovery

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 29 2012, 09:30 AM)
These days I check the setlist ahead of time just for the hell of it. I dont view it as being a spoiler or anything. It's not like going to a move that's based around the story, of course you wouldnt want spoilers for that, but ive heard every Rush song, doesnt matter to me what they play.

I remember when my parents took me to Rush shows in the mid 80s when I was around 10 and had no idea what they would be playing. It was kind of cool then but it doesnt matter to me these days. Like I said earlier, I couldnt care less about what they play. Now its just about me seeing them knowing they're getting close to the end.

I kinda switch back and forth. I am going to avoid setlist spoilers for this tour.... very hard though.

I didn't know the setlist for the first 10 shows I went to... I checked it for R30, not for S&A, and I did for TM

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 29 2012, 09:06 AM)

I suppose it could also serve as an alert to the po-po in the vicinity of the show.

"Okay, Dispatch has been checking the forums and reports from the fans in attendance say that the Rush setlist is somewhat lame this year. This means there will be a lot of them getting totally hammered, since many fans announced their plans to hit the beer line during songs they don't like. So we are doubling up on DUI Task Force presence at the exits to the venue parking lots this year." tongue.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 29 2012, 09:15 AM)

I never have problems knowing when to go. I know when stuff like Between Sun and Moon, RTB, S&A songs, anything like that, I'm out of there. Unfortunately that's when everyone else goes so the bathrooms are absolutely mobbed.

The best time to go for me really is during the popular songs they play on every tour Ive seen them play a million times. I could live without seeing Tom Sawyer ever again, so thats a great time for me to go.

This discussion has reached an alltime low.

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Mar 29 2012, 09:10 AM)

Why, because he dissed Tom Sawyer? I agree with him - if I never hear Tom Sawyer played live again, I will die a happy, happy guy. On the SNA tour my wife and I actually got up and left during Tom Sawyer, made our way toward the exits and listened to the encore on the way out the door. That's how much I can't stand that bloody song anymore.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 29 2012, 10:12 AM)

Why, because he dissed Tom Sawyer? I agree with him - if I never hear Tom Sawyer played live again, I will die a happy, happy guy. On the SNA tour my wife and I actually got up and left during Tom Sawyer, made our way toward the exits and listened to the encore on the way out the door. That's how much I can't stand that bloody song anymore.

Nah, it just makes me laugh when folks talk about bathroom habits in general and making fun of people who have weak bladders. I actually see the logic in going pee during Tom Sawyer.

Dang, all this talk about pee breaks and new song leaks makes me have to go tinkle myself. See ya... bolt.gif

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Mar 29 2012, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 29 2012, 10:12 AM)

Nah, it just makes me laugh when folks talk about bathroom habits in general and making fun of people who have weak bladders. I actually see the logic in going pee during Tom Sawyer.

Dang, all this talk about pee breaks and new song leaks makes me have to go tinkle myself. See ya... bolt.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Nice biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Mar 29 2012, 10:27 AM)

I have NEVER wanted to know anything about the setlist. To be blunt, I will never understand why anyone would want to know it in advance. What a freekin' SPOILER.... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif There is nothing greater than standing there, in the crowd, with the final chords of the last song resonating in your head, wondering what the next great song will be.....hoping it will be Entre Nous, or Presto, or whatever......

The excitement and the anticipation of the unknown is the best part of the Show....!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

goodpost.gif

You betcha. I'm the exact same.

I don't leave for even a second of the setlist...so I love the surprises. Always eagerly awaiting the next tune...and flat out losing it when they play something obscure that I would never expect.

Amazing experience for me personally. 1022.gif