Headlong Flight

iluvgeddy05

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 28 2012, 05:34 PM)
It's been incorrectly reported. Apparently the track is actually called " Foot Long Shite" which makes more sense if you think about it...

There's already been a song called Big Log in the 80's. I think a guy named Robert Plant or something recorded it laugh.gif

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more tweets from Dominic Nardella (@nardboy):

"New Rush song sounds like updated "By-Tor." Epic, cool guitar break downs. "I stoke the fires of the big steel wheels...""

"feels like by-tor... epic, weird talking part in the middle, ged's bass sounds phenomenal"

"goes to rock radio on 4/19 (maybe a tad sooner)..."

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 28 2012, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Mar 28 2012, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 28 2012, 04:24 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 28 2012, 03:51 PM)
From RIAB:

UPDATE - 3/28@4:48PM: I have also received information that Headlong First will indeed be the first single and that a 5.5-minute edit will be hitting radio on April 19th. The listening party did indeed take place yesterday, and Roadrunner is keeping a very tight lid on the track, so it's unlikely that it will leak. Although there's a possibility we'll get to hear a sample online sometime before the radio release.

That is great that the single is so long they have to edit it down. 1022.gif

/Debbie Downer/ Could also mean that none of the rest of the songs are worth releasing and could only find 5 acceptable minutes from the one.

No. I just think it means they really dig this track but they know that radio won't touch anything that's 7.5 minutes long.

Hey Jude - Beatles

War Pigs/Luke's Wall - Black Sabbath

Station to Station - David Bowie

Layla - Darek and the Dominos

The End - Doors

Jesus of Suburbia - Green Day

In-a-Gadda-da-Vida - Iron Butterfly

Scenes From an Italian Restaurant - Billy Joel

Funeral For a Friend - Elton John

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

One - Metallica

Champagne Supernova - Oasis

Sheep - Pink Floyd

Purple Rain - Prince

Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - Rolling Stones

Jungleland - Bruce Springsteen

Won't Get Fooled Again - Who

Starship Trooper - Yes

just to name a few biggrin.gif I bet the cool stations play the album cut biggrin.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif

There are a few exceptions, yes. But Metallica's One got a radio edit for length, as did a few others there I'd wager.

If Rush is looking for some real radio play this time around, they're not going to make it harder on themselves trying to fight for 7.5 minutes. They don't have that kind of clout.

Sometimes I don't know if the length matters so much. WRKI in Danbury has played the full-length 2112 at least 3 times before (that I've heard).

Yet the stations down here cut Goodbye Stranger short eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 05:19 PM)
From RIAB:

UPDATE - 3/28@4:48PM: I have also received information that Headlong First will indeed be the first single and that a 5.5-minute edit will be hitting radio on April 19th. The listening party did indeed take place yesterday, and Roadrunner is keeping a very tight lid on the track, so it's unlikely that it will leak. Although there's a possibility we'll get to hear a sample online sometime before the radio release.

/Debbie Downer/ Could also mean that none of the rest of the songs are worth releasing and could only find 5 acceptable minutes from the one.

No. I just think it means they really dig this track but they know that radio won't touch anything that's 7.5 minutes long.

Hey Jude - Beatles

The End - Doors

One - Metallica

Sheep - Pink Floyd

Purple Rain - Prince

Starship Trooper - Yes

just to name a few biggrin.gif I bet the cool stations play the album cut biggrin.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif

There are a few exceptions, yes. But Metallica's One got a radio edit for length, as did a few others there I'd wager.

If Rush is looking for some real radio play this time around, they're not going to make it harder on themselves trying to fight for 7.5 minutes. They don't have that kind of clout.

Rush may not have clout, but they have cachet, baby!!! This song will be the Hey Jude of the 10's 1287.gif 1022.gif trink38.gif 2.gif biggrin.gif unsure.gif no.gif martini_shaken.gif smile.gif cool10.gif yes.gif signs015.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 28 2012, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 28 2012, 05:34 PM)
It's been incorrectly reported. Apparently the track is actually called " Foot Long Shite" which makes more sense if you think about it...

There's already been a song called Big Log in the 80's. I think a guy named Robert Plant or something recorded it laugh.gif

Aw yeah. Love that song. Memories. I took a lonely Greyhound from Tulsa to Canton after seeing my first girlfriend for the last time. That song played on my walkman as we rolled down the highway.

Excitement so thick, you can cut it with a knife.

If only it could really sound By-Tor'ish. I'll believe it when I hear it.

Maybe Sirius radio will get the full length version as they certainly aren't scared to play longer tunes.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 28 2012, 04:59 PM)
From RIAB:

Hey Jude - Beatles

The End - Doors

One - Metallica

Sheep - Pink Floyd

Purple Rain - Prince

Starship Trooper - Yes

Don Maclean's American Pie is that length or so (I think - please correct me if I am wrong) and the gets plaid in its entirety.

Lets hope at least a few stations play the entire song.

Even the title is really awesome.

If it really is 7+ minutes, I'm stoked. I've actually purposefully been avoiding these threads (oh, for shame!) because I don't want to learn too much about the new album before it comes out!

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 28 2012, 07:26 PM)
Even the title is really awesome.
If it really is 7+ minutes, I'm stoked. I've actually purposefully been avoiding these threads (oh, for shame!) because I don't want to learn too much about the new album before it comes out!

U and me both. And i will definitely try to avoid ANYTHING about set lists. I want that to be a surprise when I see them.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Mar 28 2012, 07:25 PM)
From RIAB:

Hey Jude - Beatles

The End - Doors

One - Metallica

Sheep - Pink Floyd

Purple Rain - Prince

Starship Trooper - Yes

Don Maclean's American Pie is that length or so (I think - please correct me if I am wrong) and the gets plaid in its entirety.

You are correct, sir. According to songfacts, at 8 minutes 33 seconds this is the longest song in length to hit #1 on the Hot 100. And, influenced by Sgt. Peppers. Nice call. trink39.gif

I predict this song will soon completely dominate my music listening, much like Far Cry did there before S&A came out. And Caravan/BU2B. RUSH- f**k yeah!!! 1022.gif trink38.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Mar 28 2012, 06:24 PM)
Excitement so thick, you can cut it with a knife.

If only it could really sound By-Tor'ish. I'll believe it when I hear it.

Maybe Sirius radio will get the full length version as they certainly aren't scared to play longer tunes.

Well, they might not have a choice even if they want to. I'm sure only the short version will be sent out.

I hope everybody slows down a bit with specific expectations. I'm not taking about whether it'll be good or not overall and it's great to get excited, just the specifics of "it's like an updated By-Tor" or "80-91 in a blender". Everybody is going to take that a different way and will set up expectations that can't be met even if the album is great.

For example, I'd describe Armor and Sword as a relatively long epic-sounding song that sounds like old Rush with strong dynamics between heavy parts that sound like Cygnus X-1 in places and quieter parts as transitions. Some of you just hear the same song as monotonous and dragging. So keep that in mind.

My hands were already shaking, but hearing about the return to keyboards makes me beyond psyched! And yet it sounds like By-Tor at the same time? Hmmm...and a talking part in the middle? Wonder if it'll be anything like Double Agent...Geddy's voice was so sexy in that wub.gif

I've got my boarding pass ready for that Headlong Flight! icon_alienjig.gif bncegrn.gif common001.gif cheer.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Mar 28 2012, 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 04:19 PM)
From RIAB:

Hey Jude - Beatles

The End - Doors

One - Metallica

Sheep - Pink Floyd

Purple Rain - Prince

Starship Trooper - Yes

Sometimes I don't know if the length matters so much. WRKI in Danbury has played the full-length 2112 at least 3 times before (that I've heard).

Yet the stations down here cut Goodbye Stranger short eyesre4.gif

Interesting to hear u mention WRKI. I have listened to 2112 in its entirety on it once and I have also heard Hemispheres on it once (again - the entire song). i can also remember that station playing The Camera Eye (uncut) once.

The times that i caught them playing 2112 and Hemispheres I actually pulled my car over to the side of the road (once it was I-684, the other time it was I-84) to listen. I remember I was was like OMG - yes!!!

Wish more stations would do that.

Dang you guys. xD

Augh, this new news is making me really excited for the album.

The release is only two months away.

Is it time for me to finally have a RUSH-related avatar and sig for once? ^^;

Maybe something... a little steampunk-ish. With wings. Metal feathers. Oooh, the possibilities.

Edited by CMWriter

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 28 2012, 07:38 PM)
QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Mar 28 2012, 07:25 PM)
From RIAB:

Hey Jude - Beatles

The End - Doors

One - Metallica

Sheep - Pink Floyd

Purple Rain - Prince

Starship Trooper - Yes

You are correct, sir. According to songfacts, at 8 minutes 33 seconds this is the longest song in length to hit #1 on the Hot 100. And, influenced by Sgt. Peppers. Nice call. trink39.gif

I predict this song will soon completely dominate my music listening, much like Far Cry did there before S&A came out. And Caravan/BU2B. RUSH- f**k yeah!!! 1022.gif trink38.gif 2.gif

Thanks for the confirmation - u and me both. Cant wait!!

I am really starting to go common001.gif

An updated By-Tor with keyboards and the album sounding like 80-91 put into a blender and slightly heaver?!

Wow oh wow!!

Have a good one.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 28 2012, 08:06 PM)
This song may kick all kinds of ass when we hear it but at the same time I'll bet we won't make it more than 3 posts into the discussion thread before someone says "I can't believe somebody said this sounds like Bytor!"

I'd rather it sound like 80's Rush with By-Tor's starts and stops.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 28 2012, 07:19 PM)
This song may kick all kinds of ass when we hear it but at the same time I'll bet we won't make it more than 3 posts into the discussion thread before someone says "I can't believe somebody said this sounds like Bytor!"

That's what Caravan sounds like, which I love.

But a lot of people don't.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 28 2012, 08:56 PM)

caravan sounds nothing like bytor. no.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 28 2012, 08:09 PM)

No, no, I said Caravan sounds like "80's Rush with By-Tor's starts and stops" which I was quoting.

Besides, this proves my point that no matter what it sounds like it won't be what people expect.

If we asked 50 fans on this forum who'd heard Caravan before anyone else which previous Rush song it most sounded like you'd get 50 different answers.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 28 2012, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 28 2012, 08:09 PM)

No, no, I said Caravan sounds like "80's Rush with By-Tor's starts and stops" which I was quoting.

Besides, this proves my point that no matter what it sounds like it won't be what people expect.

If we asked 50 fans on this forum who'd heard Caravan before anyone else which previous Rush song it most sounded like you'd get 50 different answers.

I love Caravan.. It's really one of my favorites of theirs. It's just so musically complex in the bridge.. while being quite simple during the verses and the chorus.. The message is awesome, and the music is not too light and not too heavy. The guitar is prominent, and the drums are wonderful (obviously..) But I have a feeling the entire album will sound alot like Caravan.. just the style..

2.gif

"I stoke the fires of the big steel wheel.." IF that's a lyric.. it sounds like the beginning of something totally epic 1022.gif