Snakes and Arrows Live DVD

Powderfinger

Man, Alex's solo in Digital Man smokes! I've always sort of ignored this song, even though Signals is ony of my favorite albums.

I'm really digging this version!

Edit: LOVE Alex switching back and forth between Gold Top and the acoustic 12-string in Entre Nous! This song is so freaking good.

Regardless of how one feels about the actual selection of songs, one must admit Rush really knows how to structure/sequence a live set for a nice flow.

This DVD is stellar so far, sounds great! The Mission, oh! I'm digging this setlist. I didn't see this tour in person.

Edit 2: This set is all about Alex so far. His solo on Mission killed!

Edit 3: Oh! Geddy hit the high notes in Freewill! Badass! Sounds great. Here comes some Snakes and Arrows material.

Edit 4: I'm sort of over this whole Dreamline in the live set thing...

Edited by Powderfinger

Time Machine was great. Lots of great shots of the crowd, the band, & great segments that Rush made between setlists. One of my favorite live releases. Great versions of Working Man, 2112, La Villa, Presto, Marathon, most everything.

I saw Rush on the Time Machine tour at MSG, and Geddy nailed the vocals. Cleveland isn't a good representation of how well that tour was, but Cleveland was still great. There are some struggles at a few points, but he nailed other parts very well. I believe he had a cold that night. (And no, I'm not defending him, but I seriously believe that's what he had. You can hear it in his voice.) I would definitely recommend getting the Live in Cleveland DVD. It's great!

I haven't watched too much of Snakes and Arrows. I'm gonna get it hopefully soon.

Having finished it last night, I think the Snakes and Arrows Live DVD is excellent. I think it sounds slightly better than R30 and Rio, and perhaps looks the best too. I'm not sure if it's the best setlist, but the opening string of Limelight, Digital Man, Entre Nous, Mission, and Freewill was stellar.

I also welcomed the inclusion of Circumstances. Natural Science was perhaps the highlight--completely mindblowing. I have always loved Natural Science, but I never felt it was Rush's greatest epic, as many fans do. Last night, however, I really understood that perspective. They nail it on S&A Live.

Not as much cool bonus material. But definitely worth the purchase. It encouraged my appreciation of Far Cry, Armor and Sword, and Working Them Angels. I also enjoyed Hope. The rest of the S&A material was less impressive. And, as mentioned, Dreamline really needs a break.

As for the Time Machine DVD, I'll probably buy it at some point, but with less enthusiasm. The clips I listened to from the album version do suggest that Geddy had a cold that night; I can buy that defense. I agree that his voice sounds especially strained, as though his throat isn't really opened up. A cold would explain that. But his vocals on S&A Live far exceeded my expectations. Hopefully we hear more of that on the CA tour!!!

Glad you like S & A live.

Very glad you liked it more than R30. I feel that it is far better the R30 in almost every way.

With regards to Rush in Rio, I agree that the recording quality of S & A live is better but I will take Rush in Rio any day. Geddy's voice is better (IMO) on the Rio show and the crowed is just so awesome. The S & A live crowed was really good, but the Rio crowed - wow. They just make the show.

I like but S & A and Rio more than Time Machine. But I like Time Machine more than R30.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Mar 24 2012, 10:38 AM)

Very glad you liked it more than R30. I feel that it is far better the R30 in almost every way.

With regards to Rush in Rio, I agree that the recording quality of S & A live is better but I will take Rush in Rio any day. Geddy's voice is better (IMO) on the Rio show and the crowed is just so awesome. The S & A live crowed was really good, but the Rio crowed - wow. They just make the show.

I like but S & A and Rio more than Time Machine. But I like Time Machine more than R30.

The thing that always blows my mind about Rio's crowd is that they sing along and know the words not just to the hits, but also to the deeper album cuts. And it isn't just the same group of fans to whom the camera repeatedly cuts. The Rio crowd really knew its Rush material!

The Snakes and Arrows crowd is much more chill, similar to a Pink Floyd audience during many of the numbers. Some fistpumping and arm-waving during rockers and hits, but also a lot of motionless standing. I don't have a problem with that, mind you. In fact, that's probably more my vibe--to each his own.

You didn't say whether you have the regular DVD or the Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray has the entire show, as opposed to the DVD which cut a few songs. The extras are great: several songs from the Atlanta show including Ghost Of A Chance, among them.

I love the TM Blu-Ray. Seriously, the vocals are not *that* bad (and those who say they are are mostly grumps anyway). The show itself is the star on the TM disc. And the extras are pretty good, too. I wouldn't think of not having any RUSH show that's available, myself. And I do. wink.gif

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 25 2012, 12:06 AM)
You didn't say whether you have the regular DVD or the Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray has the entire show, as opposed to the DVD which cut a few songs. The extras are great: several songs from the Atlanta show including Ghost Of A Chance, among them.

I love the TM Blu-Ray. Seriously, the vocals are not *that* bad (and those who say they are are mostly grumps anyway). The show itself is the star on the TM disc. And the extras are pretty good, too. I wouldn't think of not having any RUSH show that's available, myself. And I do. wink.gif

This covers it for me too. Good post How.

I purchased the regular DVD version of S&A Live. I did not realize there was a disparity between the regular DVD and the Blu-Ray. I thought that was only true of R30. Well damn, I loved the regular S&A DVD all the same. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, what am I missing?

QUOTE (reani14 @ Mar 23 2012, 10:24 PM)
geddys voice was great in snakes. but blew on time machine. the worst i ever heard him.. can't beleive they didnt touch up his bad spots.

At first I didn't believe you...then I searched Red Barchetta Live In Cleveland and all I have to say is....OMG!

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Mar 25 2012, 02:16 PM)
I purchased the regular DVD version of S&A Live. I did not realize there was a disparity between the regular DVD and the Blu-Ray. I thought that was only true of R30. Well damn, I loved the regular S&A DVD all the same. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, what am I missing?

Both BluRay and DVD have the entire S&A show. As far as I know, there arn't any cuts on the S&A DVD. So I guess you're missing only a better video quality tongue.gif

I really love the S&A Live Blu Ray. I think it's amazing, more than the awesome R30 and TM DVDs, IMO. The whole performance is killer and the sound is wonderful.

As for vocals, I can really tell it's Geddy's best vocal performance and the video really shows it IMO. You've gotta love how his voice has matured. His singing has really improved since the Vapor Trails tour.

Unfortunately, signs of age has started to show. You can tell that listening to the TM Live. But I think he still sounds great ,not bad or awful at all. At least he still tries his best smile.gif

Anyways, glad you like the DVD biggrin.gif

2.gif

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Mar 24 2012, 10:38 AM)

Very glad you liked it more than R30.  I feel that it is far better the R30 in almost every way.

With regards to Rush in Rio, I agree that the recording quality of S & A live is  better but I will take Rush in Rio any day.  Geddy's voice is better (IMO) on the Rio show and the crowed is just so awesome.  The S & A live crowed was really good, but the Rio crowed - wow.  They just make the show.

I like but S & A and Rio more than Time Machine.  But I like Time Machine more than R30.

the performance and energy on RIR is great, but the audio isn't. Geddy's vocals are way too low, in some spots (like The Big Money for instance) it almost sounds like they forgot to turn his mic on.

On the other hand, The Time Machine Tour sort of has the opposite problem to my ears. The drums and vocals are upfront and clear, but the guitar and bass are a little low and don't cut through in parts. Especially the guitar for some reason. It just sounds a little bland in the mix.

Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Mar 25 2012, 12:16 PM)

Only one of the 2 things that Hi-Def does best: concerts and sports. The picture is amazing, so much so that I often will pause it and take a picture.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/Rush/P4020020-1.jpg

Blu-Ray players are really reasonable now. We got a new one a few months ago and it has wireless so we can watch things online, too. They are getting more and more bells & whistles. And, in this case, I *love* bells and whistles! wink.gif

Since I don't own the "regular" S&A DVD, I'm only going by what I was told by others. They say that there were a few cuts, so.... confused13.gif

I'm lucky that my wife is addicted to video games. We opted for the PS3. It plays blu ray discs so I have all the Rush blu rays that are available. They are more than worth it. If you have a decent sound system to go with it then you will wander into Rushnirvana from time to time.

no no,, they are pretty bad.. they should have touched it up in the studio before releasing this to the public. its really embarrassing. stop sticking up for the dude. his voice was shot and ruined alot of good songs.. He was extremely bad...... so sad....the worst i ever heard him...