Your favorite bands

ILSnwdog

I'll go for my top 6:

1) Rush (of course, goes without saying)

2) Fair to Midland

3) Dream Theater

4) Lacuna Coil (thanks Segue)

5) Porcupine Tree

6) Eluvietie

Lacuna Coil? Really?

I am good!

What have you listened too?

Mostly Dark Adrenaline and Broken Crown Halo (which I'm hoping to get for Christmas) but I've also heard a bit of karmacode too :)

Awesome! LC are like...my life haha!

I hope you enjoy the albums, the earlier stuff is very different but full of flavour.

Ill be sure to give them a listen. I think that their earlier stuff was a bit intense for me listening to them the first time but Dark Adrenaline seemed a bit more easier to listen to if you get what I mean :)

Defo. The first three albums and two EP's are very intense, but I love them all.

If I did a top ten favourite album list and made the rule that i could have more than one album per band, their whole catalogue would be on the list.

Really not a lot of competition for LC in my heart.

LC are number one. The next big love is about 16 lightyears behind.

• Like 1

My current top ten:

Lacuna Coil

Yes

Kansas

Styx

Rush

Starcastle

Toto

Trillion

Alter Bridge

HIM

My Current top 10.

1. Bee Gees (I'm dead serious

2. Rush

3. Yes

4. Steely Dan (Listen to the Royal scam yesterday and it's amazing how firmly they hold in my list)

5. Genesis

6. Queen

7. Dream theater

8. Flying Colors (More recent......but damn are they good)

9. Toto

10. Styx

Mick

My Current top 10.

1. Bee Gees (I'm dead serious

2. Rush

3. Yes

4. Steely Dan (Listen to the Royal scam yesterday and it's amazing how firmly they hold in my list)

5. Genesis

6. Queen

7. Dream theater

8. Flying Colors (More recent......but damn are they good)

9. Toto

10. Styx

Mick

Four outta ten and a few extra I can see growing on me (Steely Dan, Bee Gees, Dream Theater, Genesis).

Yay another loud and proud Styx fan!

• Like 1

My alltime Faves:

Rush

Mike Oldfield

Porcupine Tree

Marillion

Blackfield

EAV (Comedy Rock/Pop Band from Switzerland)

Manowar

Fields of the Nephilim

Jean-Michel Jarre

Helloween

Gamma Ray

Nightwish

OMD

Ultravox / Midge Ure

Queen

And many more in no order:

Blackmore's Night

Blutengel

October Project

Bryan El

Running Wild

Motörhead

Sirenia

Tiamat

Therion

Within Temptaion

Edenbridge

Accept

Enigma

Enya

Heart of Cygnus

Helmet

Kitaro

New Model Army

Paradise Lost

Pain

Runrig

Schiller

Sonata Arctica

While Heaven Wept

• Like 1

RUSH has always been número uno. I like a lot bands, The Who, Van Halen, Bare Naked Ladies but Queensryche had been number two for decades. Now with the ugly split up I don't know if I will follow any of the new music, just enjoy Queensryche's past.

My current top five bands:

Lacuna Coil

Paradise Lost

Nightwish

Jimmy Eat World

Fleetwood Mac

Looking at this list now, it is amazing to note that they have been consistent top ten bands for around 5-10 years now! Rarely missing from the top of my pile...

Rush

The 77s

Stryper

Iron Maiden

The Choir

Larry Norman

Dream Theater

Kansas

Kerry Livgren/AD

Daniel Amos

Deliverance

Tourniquet

Queen

Edited by MusicHead

Right now, same top five as yesterday (Lacuna Coil, Paradise Lost, Nightwish, Jimmy Eat World, Fleetwood Mac), with added:

Iron Maiden

Toto

These seven bands are my most played of the year so far.

Not much changed since last time, except Joe's been getting a lot more play since he put out Different Shades Of Blue, which I consider a top 3 record from him, and a wonderful new live album last month of him and his band playing Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf songs, along with some of his own stuff.

Burned out big time on Pink Floyd, probably not going to listen to them much for a while.

Rush

Iron Maiden

Foo Fighters

Joe Bonamassa

Def Leppard

Styx

Led Zeppelin

Buddy Guy

Pink Floyd

Another one I'm getting back into is Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

I reckon I'd go with this:

Rush

Marillion

Todd Snider

Deep Purple

Manic Street Preachers

Journey

Sunnyboys (Aussie legends)

Celibate Rifles (ditto)

Genesis

Ryan Adams

Doesn't seem to change that much these days, which probably means I'm a boring old fart.

But there you go ...

Edited by stgaz

Not much changed since last time, except Joe's been getting a lot more play since he put out Different Shades Of Blue, which I consider a top 3 record from him, and a wonderful new live album last month of him and his band playing Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf songs, along with some of his own stuff.

Burned out big time on Pink Floyd, probably not going to listen to them much for a while.

Rush

Iron Maiden

Foo Fighters

Joe Bonamassa

Def Leppard

:heart: Styx :wub:

Led Zeppelin

Buddy Guy

Pink Floyd

Another one I'm getting back into is Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

Styx!!!!

My current top five bands:

Lacuna Coil

Paradise Lost

Nightwish

Jimmy Eat World

Fleetwood Mac

Looking at this list now, it is amazing to note that they have been consistent top ten bands for around 5-10 years now! Rarely missing from the top of my pile...

My top ten right now:

1. Lacuna Coil (I cannot ever see this changing...)

2. Nightwish (ten years on, I am amazed how I have grown with this band, never thought I would still be such a massive fan in 2015!)

3. Paradise Lost (I cannot believe I skipped seeing them live in 2013. I truly believed I was over this band. They toured with LC. I AM AN IDIOT!)

4. HIM (my first live gig was HIM. It was boring. But never mind, as a studio band they have always been one of my nearest and dearest (for the longest time my second favourite band!)

5. Jimmy Eat World (I will always love this band. They are another band, like Nightwish, that seem to only get bettter with time. A band for life, I think!)

6. Fleetwood Mac (Will never understand how anybody could not love this band, but each to their own)

7. Rush (I have lost a little interest as of late, but this is a band that I am certain will only continue to grow on me with age)

8. Iron Maiden (I always enjoyed the odd song. Now I realise I missed out on so much greatness when I was younger, and that is a shame, as I am sure they would have added a lot of joy to my school years! (alas...I was morbid, gloomy and...secretly a massive R. Kelly fan disguised as a goth))

9. Alter Bridge (Myles Kennedy and Tremonti together in one phenomenal band. I still cannot belieeve this band has such a strong connection with the sucky suckiness of Creed)

10. Toto (this band will probably always be top ten. They could easily rank anywhere on this list from 2-10!)

Edited by Segue Myles

Hmmmm......

i don't if i could give my most play bands of the past year but i could give over the past 2 months, lol

Dream Theater

Porcupine Tree

Lacuna Coil (yes I actually typed that.

The Gathering ((I haven't posted about cause the jury's still out on them)

Mick

• Like 1

Hmmmm......

i don't if i could give my most play bands of the past year but i could give over the past 2 months, lol

Dream Theater

Porcupine Tree

Mick

The Gathering are amazing...like...AMAZING...How To Measure A Planet? is one of the most soothing albums I have ever heard, if_then_else is just...perfect. Nighttime Birds and Mandylion are basically the start of the entire female fronted metal band phenomenon (and arguably the two best albums of that "genre" eveer recorded).

But in all honesty, I plonk LC, HIM, Nightwish, The Gathering and Paradise Lost into the same genre, male or female vocals it doesn't matter, they all create music that shares a lot of darkness with a great sense of melody, melancholy and beauty.

My goodness I want to shoot myself for not putting The Gathering in my top ten.

• Like 1

For the record, The Gathering, Lacuna Coil, HIM and Nightwish are all heavily inspired by Paradise Lost. PL are the common link between all modern gothic rock/metal bands. They were hugely influential, alongside Anathema, Type O Negative and My Dying Bride (funnily enough...I dislike the latter two bands). But PL are beloved by many, although they lost a huge chunk of their fanbase when they ditched death/doom metal for a more electro-pop/rock direction.

Hmmmm......

Dream Theater

Porcupine Tree

Mick

The Gathering are amazing...like...AMAZING...How To Measure A Planet? is one of the most soothing albums I have ever heard, if_then_else is just...perfect. Nighttime Birds and Mandylion are basically the start of the entire female fronted metal band phenomenon (and arguably the two best albums of that "genre" eveer recorded).

But in all honesty, I plonk LC, HIM, Nightwish, The Gathering and Paradise Lost into the same genre, male or female vocals it doesn't matter, they all create music that shares a lot of darkness with a great sense of melody, melancholy and beauty.

I need more time with The Gathering.

I DO know i loathed there first 2 records. man did they do a 180.........a better 180.........on the third record, lol

i'll let ya know when i have a more formed opinion.

Mick

Hmmmm......

Dream Theater

Porcupine Tree

Mick

I need more time with The Gathering.

I DO know i loathed there first 2 records. man did they do a 180.........a better 180.........on the third record, lol

i'll let ya know when i have a more formed opinion.

Mick

You should have asked me...I would have told you to skip to the third. Like Paradise Lost, TG gained my interest when they ditched the screaming for something more interesting. Two albums after Mandylion, they did another 180 and explored trip hop and goth rock, with astonishingly beautiful results!

Treat those first two albums like the dodgy demo's they sound like. Or, skip to the acoustic live album Sleepy Buildings. If that album doesn't send shivers up your spine, you must be an invertebrate.

• Like 1

My staples are always going to be (in no order)

Rush

Pink Floyd

Frank Zappa

Yes

Chicago

Gov't Mule

Kansas

Steely Dan

Umphrey's McGee

Spock's Beard

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

And any offshoot-solo tour-etc.(like a Roger Waters or Dave Gilmour album, Jon Anderson or Rick Wakeman touring solo etc.)

These bands will always get my attention when they are touring, new music comes our, books about, bootlegs, etc.

Marginal bands are like:

Dave Matthews

Dream Theater

Jethro Tull

ELO

Genesis

Queen

Led Zeppelin

Beatles

Toto

Billy Joel

Elton John

Alan Parsons

Porcupine Tree

King Crimson...and the like....

These guys get my interest, but not QUITE as much as they used to...

Bands that I've pretty much lost interest in, that I spent a lot of time listening to (and occasionally may pull something out) but they just don't make me as happy as they once did...

U2

Live

Rainbow

Scorpions

Judas Priest

Ozzy/Black Sabbath

Styx

Barenaked Ladies

Jimmy Buffett (need to be in the Key's to even consider putting Margaritaville on XM radio or pulling out a CD anymore)

And there are a lot of casual things that I picked up over the years that I REALLY have to be in the mood for, (or my wife is) before I pull them out...odds and ends that I probably haven't listened to in YEARS..

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1