What is your favourite album opener?

gudbuytjane

What is your favourite album opener?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite album opener?

• Finding My Way
    • Anthem
    • Bastille Day
    • 2112: Overture/The Temples of Syrinx
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres: Prelude
    • The Spirit of Radio
    • Tom Sawyer
    • Subdivisions
    • Distant Early Warning
    • The Big Money
    • Force Ten
    • Show Don't Tell
    • Dreamline
    • Animate
    • Test For Echo
    • One Little Victory
    • Far Cry

Rush has many iconic opening tracks, which one is your favourite? For purposes of this poll I've only included original studio tracks (sorry Feedback). In the case of an epic track opening the album, I've included the sections which serve as 'openers' for the track as well as the album (if that makes any sense). smile.gif

-Jane

2.gif

Went with AFTK. If we had full epics to vote for, I probably would have gone with Hemispheres or 2112.

Finding My Way gets an honorable mention from me.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Mar 19 2012, 01:38 PM)
Went with AFTK. If we had full epics to vote for, I probably would have gone with Hemispheres or 2112.

Finding My Way gets an honorable mention from me.

I thought you would have gone for Bastille Day!

1022.gif

Show Don't Tell

Force 10, 2112, Hemispheres, TSOR, and OLV are all good choices.

However, I would not go with Subdivisions because it seems to work much more naturally as a closer, a la TMT

Strong contestants, but I#ll go with Distant Early Warning - great combination of mood, drive and musicianship. Love the lyrics as well. They set the standard for the whole of GUP. One of their strongest tracks ever.

Close seconds are plenty, from the obvious Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio and Subdivisions to the slightly more obscure One Little Victory, Animate or Show Don't Tell. Force Ten, Anthem, A Farewell ... and 2112 are brilliant, too.

Hell, there's not one mediocre song opening an album. Not even Test For Echo.

... Hemispheres, though. But I just don't dig that one. Others do, and I can understand why.

Edited by barchetta90480

I went with Dreamlime. While definitely not the best song on the list it pulls me in like few others do and was an outstanding opener for the Test for Echo tour, which is when I first saw them live so I'm probably biased but it just felt right and most other concert openers haven't worked as well for me. There's someting about that "wave" sound and drive of the song that just does it for me. Wish they would use it as an opener again.

Great poll!!!

trink39.gif

Tough question, especially only given the choice of the first part of the epics. I could have easily voted for AFTK, Hemispheres, The Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions or Show Don't Tell (listed in chronological order, not order which I rank them which ranking is always hard for me). But I went with 2112. Just my favorite of all time so it's hard to pick against it.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 19 2012, 11:35 AM)
You might not believe this, but "Finding My Way" is probably the best.

If you say so. But with way you feel about Subdivisions, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't pick it. Could it be because your dislike of Neil is clouding your judgement and he had nothing to do with Finding My Way? Just asking. confused13.gif