The Music, Words, and People that Touch My Heart.

sfuentes

For a while, I've felt an urge to express my admiration and respect for Rush through a medium accessible to other people who can relate to the way I feel. I think a post on the first forum I became active on is my best bet!

I've grown up listening to this band and they have remained my favorite with no question. Brief infatuations with similar bands always leave me disappointed because I find myself expecting the players in those bands to have the same modesty, honesty, and genuine character shared among our favorite rock trio. Alas, many do not.

Perhaps it is merely luck that has kept Rush together for nearly four decades, but a more likely cause of their longevity and success is their unwillingness to compromise for financial or personal gain. I believe that Rush has cast forth a model to follow from which every individual can find guidance; Honesty and integrity lead to living, not just existence.

My respect for Rush stems from the words and music that resonate with my soul and the people that create them. Geddy, Alex, and Neil all have given me a role model to improve my quality of character. Although it is certain no entity is perfect, we can try to get closer to that unreachable, yet tangible ideal. As I'm reaching, I know that they are too.

Rush have cemented themselves as my favorite band. They write the music that makes me happy and I am eternally grateful for their place in my heart. Rush is not just a band; they are my favorite band.

Thank you for reading my post! I'm certainly not the only person with these thoughts and feelings. My adolescent fascination with the band has grown into something slightly less embarrassing than the usual "Greatest Band Ever" sentiment.

I've discovered some bands who I like as much as Rush, but none have lasted as long and have done it with as much grace as they have. I've always admired them for this, and it's VERY rare. It's really the combination of everything that you don't see very often.

I discovered a band through Neil's website call Mars Volta. He wrote a short article about them years ago, about how great he thought they were. In just the 6 albums they've put out Ive grown convinced they are as good as Rush in their own way.

Then I go on their lead singers youtube channel and see him call one of his own fans a "c u n t fart" just because the guy asked him a question he didn't like, something obviously noone in Rush would ever do. Neil takes his own little nasty shots at fans, but never to a really insulting level.

I realized as great of a band as Mars Volta is, very unique, talented and truly special as musicians and song writers, they just aren't the same due to their inherent immaturity. And I was quickly reminded about part of what makes Rush one of the greatest bands of all time. It's not just the music. It's the longevity, the lack of drama, and doing things the right way, which extends far beyond music.

Geddy said on the Rio bonus interview that becoming a famous musician is not a noble pursuit, and he's right. There are far more important things people are doing in the world, but for what they are doing, they did it the right way. I'll always remember that about them when they're done.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Mar 18 2012, 09:54 PM)
For a while, I've felt an urge to express my admiration and respect for Rush through a medium accessible to other people who can relate to the way I feel. I think a post on the first forum I became active on is my best bet!

I've grown up listening to this band and they have remained my favorite with no question. Brief infatuations with similar bands always leave me disappointed because I find myself expecting the players in those bands to have the same modesty, honesty, and genuine character shared among our favorite rock trio. Alas, many do not.

Perhaps it is merely luck that has kept Rush together for nearly four decades, but a more likely cause of their longevity and success is their unwillingness to compromise for financial or personal gain. I believe that Rush has cast forth a model to follow from which every individual can find guidance; Honesty and integrity lead to living, not just existence.

My respect for Rush stems from the words and music that resonate with my soul and the people that create them. Geddy, Alex, and Neil all have given me a role model to improve my quality of character. Although it is certain no entity is perfect, we can try to get closer to that unreachable, yet tangible ideal. As I'm reaching, I know that they are too.

Rush have cemented themselves as my favorite band. They write the music that makes me happy and I am eternally grateful for their place in my heart. Rush is not just a band; they are my favorite band.

Welcome back! trink39.gif

I can totally relate to what you all have said. When I got into Rush after attending their show a year and a half ago, I told myself, "You're setting yourself up for disappointment again - this isn't going to last, you're going to find out that they're jerks like all the others". Granted, some people can be into a band just for the music, but I can't - I don't want to give a bunch of money to people who aren't upstanding members of society. A year and a half on, I'm glad I haven't stumbled into that inevitable "ugghh". Of course, my standards are a lot lower after having been burned, or should I say, unreasonably hopeful in the past, but I'm still pleasantly surprised by Rush.

Now of course, many of you, and Rush would probably be three of the first, would argue, "You shouldn't be looking up to us for guidance, you should be looking up to YOURSELF." Agreed, and what I think they do well is remind me of this in a positive manner that's supportive, but encourages independence.

In fact, I think some of the people in my past were probably saying the same thing; they just weren't saying it as positively, or backing it up with good conduct.

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 18 2012, 10:24 PM)
I've discovered some bands who I like as much as Rush, but none have lasted as long and have done it with as much grace as they have. I've always admired them for this, and it's VERY rare. It's really the combination of everything that you don't see very often.

I discovered a band through Neil's website call Mars Volta. He wrote a short article about them years ago, about how great he thought they were. In just the 6 albums they've put out Ive grown convinced they are as good as Rush in their own way.

Then I go on their lead singers youtube channel and see him call one of his own fans a "c u n t fart" just because the guy asked him a question he didn't like, something obviously noone in Rush would ever do. Neil takes his own little nasty shots at fans, but never to a really insulting level.

I realized as great of a band as Mars Volta is, very unique, talented and truly special as musicians and song writers, they just aren't the same due to their inherent immaturity. And I was quickly reminded about part of what makes Rush one of the greatest bands of all time. It's not just the music. It's the longevity, the lack of drama, and doing things the right way, which extends far beyond music.

Geddy said on the Rio bonus interview that becoming a famous musician is not a noble pursuit, and he's right. There are far more important things people are doing in the world, but for what they are doing, they did it the right way. I'll always remember that about them when they're done.

goodpost.gif Yeah, sure, Yes is better musically than Rush, but does Rush have internal drama like Yes? no.gif

Did Rush sell out like Genesis?

Did Rush break up and reform 3 times like King Crimson?

Did Neil Peart indulge himself to the point of death like Bonham and Moon?

Did Rush get taken over by Geddy who ruined the band like Pink Floyd?

no.gif no.gif no.gif and no.gif

That reliability is what really makes them the best band ever, IMO. smile.gif 2.gif