Cut to the Chase

losingit2k

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Mar 18 2012, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (theanalogmiddleagedman @ Mar 17 2012, 01:44 PM)
I was just listening to cp the other day and thought the same thing.  We were blessed that they played between sun and moon.  I like Stick it Out because it is so heavy, but it has to be the most uninteresting song on the whole album.  I wish they would skip it live and play one or the other gems.

Stick It Out is my least favorite off CP. I enjoy the heaviness of it and I liked the music video but compared to the rest it's nothing. It's cool to see it played live but if they played Alien Shore or Double Agent or Animate I'd be way more pumped. 2.gif

Totally agree. I didn't like Stick it Out when I first heard it, and I still don't like it. I've rarely liked it when Rush tries to do something trendy. I remember the press at the time all gushing because Stick it Out was "Rush doing grunge". Same thing when Roll the Bones came out and everyone was gushing because "Rush is giving a nod to the coolness of rap and hip hop".

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Mar 18 2012, 10:34 AM)
After reading this thread yesterday I played Cut To The Chase and Alien Shore whilst doing my housework. I'd love to hear either of these live!

yes.gif

Great tracks. Counterparts in general has aged very, very well.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Mar 18 2012, 04:53 PM)

Nobody's Hero... (nice intentions, not-so-great execution).

goodpost.gif

The song has moments, but I find it tough to get over the clumsy introductory lyrics.

Cut To The Chase kicks the butts of every other song on Counterparts. It rocks hard and then harder and then when you think it's done rocking, it rocks it's rockingest. Absolutely fantastic song and if you haven't guessed, it's my favorite off the album followed closely by Leave That Thing Alone. Animate is also great.

I also have never been a fan of Stick It Out. It's a cool song and I like it, but I've always had a prejudice against it because it got the call as the CDs single when Cut to The Chase should have gotten it. Because Cut To The Chase ROCKS HARD!

And no, I can't understand why the guys haven't even attempted it live. Alex must not realize how incredible his good, bad and ugly solo in the song is. This one gets my top vote for songs I would love to hear Rush play live in concert.

This isn't just the top of my list to hear from Counterparts; it's one of my top Rush songs to hear live PERIOD. Maybe they were waiting for a tour I'd be at, since I missed all but the last one rofl3.gif Hope whatever was hanging them up from doing this before can be worked around. Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (Geddyleegenes @ Mar 18 2012, 07:18 PM)
Cut To The Chase kicks the butts of every other song on Counterparts. It rocks hard and then harder and then when you think it's done rocking, it rocks it's rockingest. Absolutely fantastic song and if you haven't guessed, it's my favorite off the album followed closely by Leave That Thing Alone. Animate is also great.

I also have never been a fan of Stick It Out. It's a cool song and I like it, but I've always had a prejudice against it because it got the call as the CDs single when Cut to The Chase should have gotten it. Because Cut To The Chase ROCKS HARD!

And no, I can't understand why the guys haven't even attempted it live. Alex must not realize how incredible his good, bad and ugly solo in the song is. This one gets my top vote for songs I would love to hear Rush play live in concert.

I was really expecting to here CTTC Live during the CP tour. Basically becasue it was one of the 2 songs from the album that hit the airwaves down here in South Florida, the other being SIO. I don't remember hearing anything else including Animate. Hence, I figured it would be played live on tour. But nope, They skipped right over it. I figured like mentioned prior, it was because the edits on the songs were hard to reproduce. I guess with all the technology available now it might be easier to reproduce. Hell, Neil can just trigger most of the parts on a pad or with his left foot!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 18 2012, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (Geddyleegenes @ Mar 18 2012, 07:18 PM)
Cut To The Chase kicks the butts of every other song on Counterparts.  It rocks hard and then harder and then when you think it's done rocking, it rocks it's rockingest.  Absolutely fantastic song and if you haven't guessed, it's my favorite off the album followed closely by Leave That Thing Alone.  Animate is also great.

I also have never been a fan of Stick It Out.  It's a cool song and I like it, but I've always had a prejudice against it because it got the call as the CDs single when Cut to The Chase should have gotten it.  Because Cut To The Chase ROCKS HARD! 

And no, I can't understand why the guys haven't even attempted it live.  Alex must not realize how incredible his good, bad and ugly solo in the song is.  This one gets my top vote for songs I would love to hear Rush play live in concert.

I was really expecting to here CTTC Live during the CP tour. Basically becasue it was one of the 2 songs from the album that hit the airwaves down here in South Florida, the other being SIO. I don't remember hearing anything else including Animate. Hence, I figured it would be played live on tour. But nope, They skipped right over it. I figured like mentioned prior, it was because the edits on the songs were hard to reproduce. I guess with all the technology available now it might be easier to reproduce. Hell, Neil can just trigger most of the parts on a pad or with his left foot!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Interesting. Here in the Chicago area, radio never played "Cut To The Chase" but they did play "Animate". They played that more than "Stick It Out".

I also thought they would play "Cut To The Chase" live during the Counterparts tour. That was a real let down and has been with every tour since. (Though I don't let it bug me too much!)

What are all the "edits" that were mentioned above? Would that include the piano that's played around the 4 minute mark? That piano is so far in the back of the song that it took me a long time to ever hear it. I don't see why they would let some piano stop them from playing the song live. It could be put in as a "sound effect" (or is that what "edit" means?) or the piano could be discarded entirely from the song when played live. (Or Hugh Syme could push a piano out on stage at that point in the song, play the little bit of piano that there is, then push the piano back off stage again. I'm sure Geddy and Alex would help him.)

Cut to the Chase, Why haven't they played this live?

Because it sucks donkeys.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 18 2012, 02:33 PM)
"Rush is giving a nod to the coolness of rap and hip hop".

No such thing laugh.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Mar 18 2012, 02:53 PM)
After reading this thread yesterday I played Cut To The Chase and Alien Shore whilst doing my housework. I'd love to hear either of these live!

yes.gif

Great tracks. Counterparts in general has aged very, very well.

Ahh yes to yes, to both your posts trink39.gif

Either Cut to the Chase, Alien Shore or even Cold Fore would be a great addition to any Setlist!

2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 22 2012, 06:33 AM)

Either Cut to the Chase, Alien Shore or even Cold Fore would be a great addition to any Setlist!

2.gif 2.gif

Admit it, you'd even love it if they played Speed Of Love 3 times in a row as an encore.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 20 2012, 09:47 AM)
This question is one I ask all too often.

Easily one of the best songs they've written since HYF, and arguably the best song they've never played live IMO.

Losing It, Different Strings, Open Secrets, Chain Lightning, Red Tide, Available Light, and Vapor Trail are all arguably better than Cut to the Chase wink.gif

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Mar 22 2012, 03:00 PM)

Easily one of the best songs they've written since HYF, and arguably the best song they've never played live IMO.

Losing It, Different Strings, Open Secrets, Chain Lightning, Red Tide, Available Light, and Vapor Trail are all arguably better than Cut to the Chase wink.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Mar 22 2012, 03:00 PM)

All great songs...but I still think CTTC is the best of the bunch IMO.

However, Open Secrets is right there!

Bring 'em both on this coming tour...PLEASE! 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 21 2012, 07:39 PM)

2.gif 2.gif

Admit it, you'd even love it if they played Speed Of Love 3 times in a row as an encore.

I really don't care for Speed of Love at all! It's up there with Virtuality, and Dog Years for 2.gif 's worst songs ever!

062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 22 2012, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 21 2012, 07:39 PM)

2.gif 2.gif

I really don't care for Speed of Love at all! It's up there with Virtuality, and Dog Years for 2.gif 's worst songs ever!

062802puke_prv.gif

I'm in the minority...but Virtuality rocks! 1022.gif

End of story. smile.gif

Cut to the Chase would be great ( and should have been played on CP tour)

I like Different Strings...but ...

Live? eyesre4.gif sad.gif wacko.gif sarcasm.gif

Yeah that would send people for the restrooms bolt.gif

Edited by druid13