Cut to the Chase

losingit2k

I'm currently listening to this gem and wondering, why in the hell didn't they play this live? The songs jams, Alex's Lead kicks serious @ss, and Neil is just jamming with Geddy!

Can someone enlighten me on this?

confused13.gif

I hope they play this in the CA tour as one of the lost gems they always bring back!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I cannot enlighten you, but I totally agree that the guitar solo is awesome.

I wouldn't mind Cut to the Chase being part of the next set. There are quite a few Counterparts tunes I'd love to see them do, actually.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Mar 16 2012, 08:05 PM)

I wouldn't mind Cut to the Chase being part of the next set. There are quite a few Counterparts tunes I'd love to see them do, actually.

I know, Cold Fire and Alien Shore are two other great gems from that album!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 16 2012, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Mar 16 2012, 08:05 PM)

I wouldn't mind Cut to the Chase being part of the next set.  There are quite a few Counterparts tunes I'd love to see them do, actually.

I know, Cold Fire and Alien Shore are two other great gems from that album!

Yep, I love both of those. (And I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who digs Alien Shore. biggrin.gif )

I would love to candidly ask how they pick and choose what songs to play. Like, why play Cold Fire over Cut To The Chase? Why play Double Agent over Alien Shore? And why not rotate them so you can play them both?

I'll never understand how bands can write and record songs just to never play them live. What's the point then of even working on them or putting them on the album?

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Mar 17 2012, 12:37 PM)
I would love to candidly ask how they pick and choose what songs to play. Like, why play Cold Fire over Cut To The Chase? Why play Double Agent over Alien Shore? And why not rotate them so you can play them both?

I'll never understand how bands can write and record songs just to never play them live. What's the point then of even working on them or putting them on the album?

When Counterparts came out I remember reading that the band absolutely loved Cold Fire. So, that would basically explain that.

It makes sense to rotate songs and all that but if you haven't noticed, Rush isn't exactly spontaneous. They ((cough: Lee & Peart)) like their orderly ways. It's part of the reason why, instrumentally at least, they're flawless or nearly flawless for many gigs.

I can't guess why they don't play Alien Shore. I'd easily put it in their top 10 songs of their last 4 studio albums.

Definitely a kick-ass song! I love the "grungy" guitar sound. I think I saw that they had played it on the CP tour at some point.... I hope they bring it back on the CA tour. 1022.gif

They've said many times if they have to play a song around 40 times, they really have to love playing it.

Obviously this excludes the hits, since I cannot imagine how sick they must be of playing Tom Sawyer. But for the rest of the songs they basically just choose what they enjoy playing, not what the fans want to hear. Ged talked about this in an interview before the VT tour.

This is probably one of those songs for them that's completely forgotten. They don't listen to their own albums, so they must not think very highly of this song. Geddy said the only time any of the 3 of them listen to their own music is when picking songs for a tour, so I would think they havent even heard this song much since they recorded it.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Mar 16 2012, 10:37 PM)

The reason they played Cold Fire over CTTC is because it was a pretty big hit for them. I'm not sure how it was everywhere else but when CP came out the local station here played the crap out of Cold Fire. I always figured that was the case in the rest of North America.

I'm not sure why CTTC has never been played though. It's my favorite on the album and would certainly rock. It's impossible for most bands to play every song they've ever recorded live. Especially a band that has a catalog the size that Rush does now. Sometimes it can be easier to pull off a song in the studio due to the fact that the band can do multiple takes, add layers and other sound effects. If a song isn't played live it's probably because something just doesn't work right like a musical or vocal transition just can't be pulled off.

I don't believe Rush writes a song thinking "let's write one we can do live." They just write what they think sounds good and then when they rehearse for their upcoming tour they find out what works off the new album and what doesn't. Though i'm sure they're at the point where they have a pretty good idea of what they can and cannot do live.

I was just listening to cp the other day and thought the same thing. We were blessed that they played between sun and moon. I like Stick it Out because it is so heavy, but it has to be the most uninteresting song on the whole album. I wish they would skip it live and play one or the other gems.

It was performed during the Counterparts tour rehearsals but dropped a night or two before the tour started.

I'm guessing the technical complexity of the solo made it difficult to perform consistently night after night.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 17 2012, 04:02 PM)
Counterparts is incredible to me. Second favorite Rush album.

I wouldn't rate it that high, but its completely underrated. It was the driving rock I had been waiting for, and has some superb songs.

I was hoping that they would pull this out at one point. They played alot of CP over the years, but this song has always been missing.

CTTC is a good song but I can think of at least 5 other songs off Counterparts that are better so I wouldnt hold my breath on them playing it.

If they're going to play something obscure off CP just play Between Sun and Moon. It and Animate are the best songs on the album and they'd already dropped it when I saw them in 2002 so I'd much rather see that. Its a great song and one of the few pre Vapor Trails songs that they actually just let a jam flesh out for awhile on.

After reading this thread yesterday I played Cut To The Chase and Alien Shore whilst doing my housework. I'd love to hear either of these live!

QUOTE (theanalogmiddleagedman @ Mar 17 2012, 01:44 PM)
I was just listening to cp the other day and thought the same thing. We were blessed that they played between sun and moon. I like Stick it Out because it is so heavy, but it has to be the most uninteresting song on the whole album. I wish they would skip it live and play one or the other gems.

Stick It Out is my least favorite off CP. I enjoy the heaviness of it and I liked the music video but compared to the rest it's nothing. It's cool to see it played live but if they played Alien Shore or Double Agent or Animate I'd be way more pumped. 2.gif