RUSH To Receive 'Ronnie James Dio Award

RushFanForever

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 12 2012, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 12 2012, 08:56 PM)
That's great. However, I wouldn't call Rush "prog pioneers".

If Rush aren't prog pioneers, I have no idea who is!

King Crimson, Genesis, Frank Zappa, Yes. Rush played as much of a role as these bands or more in the development of prog , but they came in a little too late to really be called "prog pioneers."

Edited by CruisingInPrimetime

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Mar 12 2012, 08:20 PM)

King Crimson, Genesis, Frank Zappa, Yes. Rush played as much of a role as these bands or more in the development of prog , but they came in a little too late to really be called "prog pioneers."

Yes, they're definitely NOT prog pioneers. By late 1975, when they had their real first flash of prog, the prog movement was well on it's way out of popularity. In fact, it's amazing that their 1976 to 1978 albums did as well as they did. Had they been released in 1971 to 1973, they might have been even more legendary. Then again, without the influence of the heart of the 70's prog movement in the early 70's, they wouldn't have had the inspiration to make the albums they did. Could they have come up with all that without their inspiration on their own? Debatable. Rush might have been among the best, and often the best, at what they did, but they're usually following trends. Of course they do the musical styles they do so well and make it so original that no one really cares, but to call them pioneers is a misnomer. Even infusing prog into hard rock - they more popularizers than pioneers.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Mar 13 2012, 01:02 PM)
This just in:

Ozzy Osborne's left testicle is presenting an award for the most innovative guitar lick by some kid in Cleveland because, by God, we need just one more award. 1022.gif

The words "Ozzy's left testicle" and "lick" should never be used in the same sentence.

Considering that Revolver magazine knows very little about quality metal, and most awards are arbitrary and meaningless, Rush getting this isn't that big of a deal, but if it makes some people happe that is good.

I will add though, I miss Dio. sad.gif

QUOTE (zogoto @ Mar 13 2012, 02:35 AM)
Considering that Revolver magazine knows very little about quality metal, and most awards are arbitrary and meaningless, Rush getting this isn't that big of a deal, but if it makes some people happe that is good.

I will add though, I miss Dio. sad.gif

How can you say this award is "arbitrary and meaningless?" confused13.gif

I mean it's being broadcast on XBOX Live!!!! tongue.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 13 2012, 01:11 AM)
This just in:

Ozzy Osborne's left testicle is presenting an award for the most innovative guitar lick by some kid in Cleveland because, by God, we need just one more award. 1022.gif

The words "Ozzy's left testicle" and "lick" should never be used in the same sentence.

laugh.gif

And as the time nears for the award presentation, somewhere in Pasadena, just a few miles away from the festivities

Sheldon: OK 6 o'clock, let's go our Vintage Videogame night awaits

Leonard: Noooo-uh! Remember? This is the night 2.gif is presented their award

Sheldon: Award? For what? Smashing an atom into it's tiniest bits? Finally proving Newton had a FOURTH law? A cure for

Leonard: Nevermind Sheldon. I brought Space Invaders and Tempest...

Edited by BeOhBe Bob

Since Revolver is the Only mag we have in the U.S. for Hard Rock and Metal , i think it's pretty cool . Dio and Rush are some of my Fav artists so atleast it's not going to Nickleback

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 13 2012, 07:36 AM)
Since Revolver is the Only mag we have in the U.S. for Hard Rock and Metal , i think it's pretty cool . Dio and Rush are some of my Fav artists so atleast it's not going to Nickleback

Yup.

And as far as pioneers, Revolver being a hard rock /metal based MaG, Rush were definitely more influential to those style bands than Genesis.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 13 2012, 05:36 AM)

^^^ +1

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 13 2012, 12:26 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 13 2012, 01:11 AM)
This just in:

laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Mar 12 2012, 10:20 PM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Queslington @ Mar 13 2012, 03:34 PM)
Maybe not prog pioneers in general, but they were definitely Prog-Metal pioneers. 1022.gif

goodpost.gif

Exactly what was in my head. Dunn and McFadden agree: Rush is the bridge between progressive rock and metal. Without Rush there is no Mastodon, Tool, Dream Theater, etc...

I can't believe no one's mentioned the new unreleased Pantera song!

This show would be a perfect opportunity to unveil a new song from the most anticipated rock album of 2012... The timing is perfect...

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Mar 14 2012, 04:08 AM)
I can't believe no one's mentioned the new unreleased Pantera song!

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Mar 14 2012, 12:19 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 14 2012, 09:39 AM)
i wouldn't mind them mentioning that they weren't happy with caravan and bu2b and decided to remove them from the album and come up with something better.  wacko.gif

I wouldn't mind you not being a broken record. But we all have pipe dreams.

Can't we all just get along ? laugh.gif