Getty, the singer of Rush

danielmclark

My 6-year-old brings home work from school, and this one made me extraordinarily proud.

http://qaqn.com/images/outbound/winter-rush.jpg

I haven't taught her yet how to spell Geddy, and it's not strange that she hears "Getty" when I say it. Close enough!

Good man 1022.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 10 2012, 12:07 PM)
My 6-year-old brings home work from school, and this one made me extraordinarily proud.

http://qaqn.com/images/outbound/winter-rush.jpg

I haven't taught her yet how to spell Geddy, and it's not strange that she hears "Getty" when I say it. Close enough!

That is classic!

What a great kid...

...you should buy her anything she wants for her birthday this year!

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Mar 10 2012, 04:53 PM)
I don't understand the point of that assignment.

They're supposed to put a root word (or close to a root word) on the left and then list a word that can be built off it on the right. Getty -> Gettysburg, together -> altogether. It's not perfect, she's only in first grade after all, which is why they get credit for things like working -> workshop.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Mar 10 2012, 08:13 PM)
A kid that enjoys rock and knows the singer's name? There is hope for humanity! tongue.gif

Great story.

I know, right? I'm just thinkin' of the future! laugh.gif

She's also got a Rush t-shirt that's she's worn to school once or twice. I got her a kids shirt on the S&A tour that she loves. I was very annoyed that they didn't have kid sizes on the TM tour; I would have gotten another for her and one for her little brother.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Mar 10 2012, 10:13 PM)
A kid that enjoys rock and knows the singer's name? There is hope for humanity! tongue.gif

Great story.

that and the teacher is teaching them....

mnemonics?

Holy which helps me remember SH*T laugh.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Mar 11 2012, 02:45 AM)
your daughter's name is Winter?

Indeed! Although she will probably never tell the story when she gets older, she's named after a character in Star Wars, from the novels that take place after the movies. Winter was a childhood friend of Leia and grew up to be a vital part of the rebellion. [Source]

I'm not so much of a geek that I would name my kid something from fiction that wouldn't work in the real world - I'm not naming the kid Chewbacca or anything tongue.gif but Winter is a valid name, so I suggested it to my wife and she liked it. As uncommon as it is, we've met 2 other Winters in the past 6 years since ours was born, one of whom goes to school with my daughter, one grade lower!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 11 2012, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Mar 11 2012, 02:45 AM)
your daughter's name is Winter?

Indeed! Although she will probably never tell the story when she gets older, she's named after a character in Star Wars, from the novels that take place after the movies. Winter was a childhood friend of Leia and grew up to be a vital part of the rebellion. [Source]

I'm not so much of a geek that I would name my kid something from fiction that wouldn't work in the real world - I'm not naming the kid Chewbacca or anything tongue.gif but Winter is a valid name

It's really nice, and a good example of the "right way" to do an uncommon name.