Gibson sucks

I own AL00*.I paid a lot of money for it new, and I even bought it in Toronto and carried it home to the UK so that I could honestly say it came from YYZ. Rush nut I am.Anyway, for the money, it is pretty poor. I have a crack on the side just below the binding where the pick guard had been screwed in. Obviously they didn't drill first and the top of the guitar was coming away from the side. Sorted now, but crap quality control. And the F-holes, yeah rubbish finish too. Not worthy of Lifeson's endorsement and probably wont buy another Gibbo. I honestly have better Chinese guitars....... and I am very serious....... that are way better than this Gibson thing. I'm only keeping it as an investment now, I hate taking it out of the case. That's why the Chinese are taking over, because the American kit is no better and costs ten times more.

Funny how this thread got bumped today. I was looking at the Carvin site last night and their custom builds (not the kits) look pretty nice.

I own a couple of Carvins. I'm very pleased with them.

• Like 2

Funny how this thread got bumped today. I was looking at the Carvin site last night and their custom builds (not the kits) look pretty nice.

I own a couple of Carvins. I'm very pleased with them.

I've always wanted a 24-fret PRS. I like the body shape, the neck profile feels really good (that's totally subjective, of course -- but their necks fit my hands very nicely), and I like the trem system. Of course they sound a little too midrangey, and they're way too expensive. Their cheaper S2 and SE lines don't cut it.

The Carvin PRS copy might be a good option. You can mix and match woods (maybe dial out that midrange hump), pick your color and finish, choose a different headstock shape, add in a piezo bridge system -- all for about half the price of a PRS. Worth some investigating, at least.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/ct324

• Like 2

Totally agree. As much as they are held in great esteem and the must have headstock name,they are overrated and overpriced. Picked up an sg a while back and the frets end finishing was terrible!

Here in the UK we have Gordon Smith guitars. Wonderful handmade alternatives. Highly recommended

I've looked at the Carvin catalog, a couple times while wishing I had the extra dough to by a guitar, and while a Rick or Fender Jazz Bass would be sweet, the Carvin's aren't too shabby. Especially the Custom Shop pieces. MHO only, but I'd give them serious consideration were I to seriously get into actually buying.
  • Like 2