ABC 1974

Nate2112

I literally just bought this last night at like 3am! There was 4 left on Amazon from a seller Zoverstocks and then there was 3 left...apparently someone else bought one from them because now there is only 2 left! I can't wait to get this! It was at the Cleveland Agora which I have been to for a few concerts in my day! Can't wait to hear a show shortly after Neil joined and then compare it to the TMT! I CAN'T wait to get this!

Edited to add:

I was gonna make a post about this today when I logged on and I look and it's the first thread on the board! Talk about coincidence!

I guess I bought it before before midnight...must have been around 11:30pm last night!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/gobrownstd54/rush-abc-amazon.jpg

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 4 2012, 09:27 PM)
Agora Ballroom 1974 is avaliable freely as the Fifth Order of Angels bootleg.

DO NOT PAY FOR THIS SHOW! no.gif

I had no clue. I'm not a bootleg buyer or listener, really. But when I saw the date of the performance and the fact that it was at the Cleveland Agora...I just bought it. Impulse buy all the way! Normally I don't buy anything unless it's put out by the band and I never buy greatest hits even if they are from the band. But this I just had to have!

Thanks for the info though...I have no idea about bootlegs or where to get them. The only time I remember seeing them was at an old music store I used to go to and they would have a ton of RUSH bootlegs. I never bought any of them though as I didn't enjoy live recordings back then. I thought why listen to the songs I love with all the crowd noise to screw it up. But over the years of being a RUSH fan I have embraced live recordings more. Now R30 is one of my favorites.

Thanks again for the info though! (where were you around midnight last night!! laugh.gif )

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 4 2012, 08:27 PM)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/furie1335/pics/Rush-angels-front.jpg

"Silvers" are hard to come by these days!

I haven't bought it I've had it forever, but if I see it I'd probably pick it up.

You are right about the Fifth Order of Angels bootleg but, please note, portions of this a copyrighted by Don Kirshner's Rock Concert

and were officially released on the "Rush R30" box set. Hence if anyone pays for it they were ripped off. Second, this is a show that can not be torrented for that reason also. The only true way to get this is to ask in a vary discrete way.

QUOTE (balance @ Mar 6 2012, 06:19 PM)

You are right about the Fifth Order of Angels bootleg but, please note, portions of this a copyrighted by Don Kirshner's Rock Concert

and were officially released on the "Rush R30" box set. Hence if anyone pays for it they were ripped off. Second, this is a show that can not be torrented for that reason also. The only true way to get this is to ask in a vary discrete way.

Well I already paid for it. confused13.gif But actually, to me, it was worth $14 as it was at the Cleveland Agora which I have been to several times. I would not have bought it if it wasn't for that reason and because it was just shortly after Neil joined the band. I think it will be so interesting to hear them in those circumstances, although from some of the reviews on Amazon, the sound quality isn't great, but I wouldn't expect it to be.

And honestly, I'd rather pay the $14 than try to find the correct bootleg and then since my DVD/CD burner isn't working, I wouldn't be able to burn it anyway if I downloaded it. So for me, it's part my situation and part laziness. yes.gif

And seeing that I don't get into bootlegs, as I actually never really liked live albums (always loved concert videos though) until about 10 years ago, that's when I started to really appreciate them, except for the drum solos which I have always loved. Generally, I like hearing the studio version over one with crowd noise.

But I have 2 questions for you:

1. How/where do you go to get these bootlegs that everyone speaks of? (maybe you have to PM me this?)

2. How does Amazon get away with offering that bootleg, which they call ABC 1974? Couldn't RUSH or Don Kirshner's people sue them or at least have them take it down?

I figure it's probably because they just throw it up there and sell a few copies, then take it down for a while, then throw it back up. What is the deal on that?

Oh and finally, the track list "sold" me:

August 26, 1974 tracklist:

01 Finding My Way (on R30)

02 The Best I Can

03 Need Some Love

04 In The End

05 Fancy Dancer

06 In The Mood (on R30)

07 Bad Boy

08 Here Again

09 Working Man

10 Drum Solo

11 What You're Doing

12 Garden Road

Bonus tracks May 1975:

13 Anthem

14 Beneath, Between & Behind

15 Fly By Night

Really looking forward to hearing an early Neil drum solo along with Fancy Dancer, Bad Boy and Garden Road.

i believe this one has become a legit live album

i dont believe RUSH IS A BAND website would allow anyone buy this one off their website if it wasnt

and also

Prog Archives has this as legit to

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=609

i dont know and i maybe wront but i think this one is the only bootleg that the RUSH authorized

QUOTE (RUSHFREAK101 @ Mar 7 2012, 02:07 PM)
i believe this one has become a legit live album

i dont believe RUSH IS A BAND website would allow anyone buy this one off their website if it wasnt

and also

Prog Archives has this as legit to

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=609

i dont know and i maybe wront but i think this one is the only bootleg that the RUSH authorized

RIAB will sell anything on their site that Amazon offers. That's what they do.

It's not listed on Rush.com, so it's not official. That's all there is to it.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 7 2012, 09:17 AM)
What can I say, I'm not a fan of paying for bootlegs. Goes against the spirit of recording shows and it cuts the band out of the loop.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

I think I remember seeing something on an official Rush page about a vinyl version of this that's supposed to be coming out? I can't remember if it was their Facebook page, or something else. I found it interesting that it had their support.

I finally got this today and I have to say it's amazing! I am not one who loves live recordings as it took me a while to get into RUSH's live albums. I always hated to hear the crowd and would just prefer to hear the studio version. Of course the drum solos finally drew me in and then I began to appreciate the nuances of the live recordings.

That said, I have never been one to get into bootlegs. I understand this version is available via a bootleg, but having just got it, I am so glad I did. First off, the packaging is top notch. Having the choice to pay $14 for a copy with the nice packaging which includes an insert that gives the history of the band up until the this recording, or just having a burnt CD, I'll take this all day.

And the music sounds absolutely perfect! To me, it sounds better than the live recordings that RUSH put out because the crowd noise is very low during the songs and even between, it's just so crisp.

Is that how the bootleg sounds? By the looks of this, it was sanctioned by RUSH so I'm wondering if they improved the quality over the sound on the bootleg.

I will take some pics later to show what you get, if anyone's interested. But I wasn't expecting it to be as nice. But the music sounds so amazing. So clear and crisp. There was some guy who ripped this in a review on Amazon (where I got it) and I have no idea what he's talking about. The sound quality is great! Well worth the money, IMO.

Neil's drum solo is only 2:45 long but you can just hear how amazing he was even just weeks after joining the band!

So here are pics of the CD. They aren't the best because my camera was dying so I didn't have time to get them as good as they could have been.

It comes in a cardboard cover (left) and then a normal CD plastic case (right).

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/gobrownstd54/cd-w-sleave1.jpg

Then here is a pic when you open the plastic CD case.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/gobrownstd54/cd-inside-case2.jpg

Here is the CD insert opened that has the story of Neil joining weeks before the tour and explaining about the concert being broadcast Live on Cleveland radio station WMMS.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/gobrownstd54/cd-booklet3.jpg

And finally, a pic of the back of the insert showing the track list. Sorry for the flash but without the flash it was too dark and my camera was about to shut off.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/gobrownstd54/cd-booklet-back-tracks4.jpg

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 19 2012, 07:24 PM)
By the looks of this, it was sanctioned by RUSH so I'm wondering if they improved the quality over the sound on the bootleg.

It is NOT sanctioned by Rush. Not in any way, shape or form. It's not listed on their website, it's not put out by their label (or any of their past labels), and the photographs are inaccurate for the period. Plus, they call it "The Best I Can" on the back, and that's not the proper name of the song - something no official release would ever get wrong.

This is a bootleg dressed up to look pretty, that's it.

Edited by danielmclark

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 20 2012, 12:49 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 19 2012, 07:24 PM)
By the looks of this, it was sanctioned by RUSH so I'm wondering if they improved the quality over the sound on the bootleg.

It is NOT sanctioned by Rush. Not in any way, shape or form. It's not listed on their website, it's not put out by their label (or any of their past labels), and the photographs are inaccurate for the period. Plus, they call it "The Best I Can" on the back, and that's not the proper name of the song - something no official release would ever get wrong.

This is a bootleg dressed up to look pretty, that's it.

Evidently, errors and all, it looks like it was. From RushIsABand.com on Oct 10, 2011, it says "this seems to be the first legal release - legal in the UK at least. It will be available in the UK on October 24th, and in the US as an import on November 1st." I don't understand the whole import thing. If it's not legal, then how can they import it? I don't know, I'm just asking. But I am sure that RUSH could stop Amazon from selling it if it wasn't sanctioned by them for release. Regardless, this CD is awesome and I'd rather have this bootleg dressed up to look pretty than having a burnt copy. For me, when I saw it was from the Cleveland Agora where I've seen several concerts, that coupled with the fact that it was just after Neil joined, I was sold. I do hope RUSH gets something for this, but they aren't getting anything for the bootlegs as is, so if someone wants to pretty it up, I'll take it. But as far as bootlegs go, this is the only one I have and I'm glad I have it.

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2011/10/10...e-for-pre-order

Monday, October 10, 2011

ABC 1974 CD of Rush's first recorded live performance now available for pre-order

We learned a couple months ago that Left Field Media would be releasing a CD of Rush's live WMMS radio broadcast of their August 26th, 1974 show at the Cleveland Agora titled Rush ABC 1974. This broadcast has been available as a bootleg for many years, but this seems to be the first legal release - legal in the UK at least. It will be available in the UK on October 24th, and in the US as an import on November 1st. As of right now it doesn't look like it will be available in Canada. It was Rush's first recorded performance in the US as well as the band's first recorded performance with Neil Peart on drums, and a young Donna Halper - who was the music director at WMMS at the time - introduced the band. It contains the early, unreleased tracks Fancy Dancer, Bad Boy (cover) and Garden Road. Thanks to Charlie W for the heads up.

I'm in a weird place on this one. It is not an official release, but my brother was trying so hard to get me a unique gift this past Christmas and you guessed it, I have a copy now. I have a great quality flac of the show and this one is not bad, but it ain't the raw show you can find out on the net.

Am I gonna get rid of the disc? No way, but I will keep the higher quality flac. On the highest quality bootleg you can practically hear the band breathing. I don't know what they did on the "official" ABC CD, but it is not quite the same.

Edited by drbirdsong

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Mar 20 2012, 01:49 AM)
I'm in a weird place on this one. It is not an official release, but my brother was tring so hard to get me unique gift this past Christmas and you guessed it, I have a copy now. I have a great quality flac of the show and this one is not bad, but it ain't the raw show you can find out on the net.

Am I gonna get rid of the disc? No way, but I will keep hold onto the higher quality flac. On the highest quality bootleg you can practically hear the band breathing. I don't know what they did on the "official" ABC CD, but it is not quite the same.

Wow. I have never owned a bootleg until this and I was blown away by it, as I was expecting it to sound bad. If the bootleg sounds better than this prettied up version, it must sound amazing. I was prepared for it to sound muffled or have too much crowd noise but it sounds so crisp and clear.

Regardless, I'm glad I own it. I may have to check out some other bootlegs if they sound this great. Then again, I don't think I want to get into them, because I know me and if I hear one that's amazing, I will want another, then another and another. I think I will stick with this one.

But...on second thought, there is one more I'd love to have...one from the Presto tour. Is there one that anyone can suggest from that tour that is great? And if so, how do you go about getting it? Is there some secret thread I need to know about? unsure.gif

It sounds great because it's a soundboard bootleg, not an audience recording. The raw FLAC files sound better because the ABC version was compressed before pressing.

I have more than a few shows myself, and I'm not putting down bootlegs; I'm not even putting down this release necessarily, although a superior version *is* out there. My only point of contention is the "officialness" of it. It's not official, whatever RIAB says about it. Hell, it's not even available in Canada, do you really think an official release would be unavailable in Canada?!

And as far as Amazon selling it... Amazon isn't. The listings are for third parties that are using Amazon's platform for selling goods. It's a quibble maybe, but Amazon doesn't have the manpower to screen each and every item that gets sold by third parties and they rely on people reporting counterfeit and illegal items.

This thing may very well be legal in the UK - their laws are not our laws. But being legal in the UK doesn't make this an official release. The band isn't being paid for it.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 20 2012, 02:26 AM)
It sounds great because it's a soundboard bootleg, not an audience recording. The raw FLAC files sound better because the ABC version was compressed before pressing.

I have more than a few shows myself, and I'm not putting down bootlegs; I'm not even putting down this release necessarily, although a superior version *is* out there. My only point of contention is the "officialness" of it. It's not official, whatever RIAB says about it. Hell, it's not even available in Canada, do you really think an official release would be unavailable in Canada?!

And as far as Amazon selling it... Amazon isn't. The listings are for third parties that are using Amazon's platform for selling goods. It's a quibble maybe, but Amazon doesn't have the manpower to screen each and every item that gets sold by third parties and they rely on people reporting counterfeit and illegal items.

This thing may very well be legal in the UK - their laws are not our laws. But being legal in the UK doesn't make this an official release. The band isn't being paid for it.

Fair enough. Thanks for the info. Since I was a late bloomer as far as liking the live recordings, I have never been interested in bootlegs. So I just didn't understand the deal with them. I always assumed they were not as good as something official put out by the band. To me, this RUSH ABC 1974 sounds better than ATWAS or ESL. Maybe it's the echo or the obviously bigger audience on the official releases, but I just had no idea that a bootleg would sound so crisp and clear. I think I might end up trying to collect some bootlegs if they sound this good.

All this time I completely forgot there was a section of TRF devoted to this topic! I just always avoided it, but I remember when I first joined going in there to check it out. Headed over there now to look for something from Presto! drool1.gif