What is your favorite RUSH studio album cover?

Presto-a RUSH fan!

What is your favorite RUSH studio album cover?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite RUSH studio album cover?

• RUSH
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress Of Steel
    • A Farewell To Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows

I voted MP, because I didn't think well... the best Rush cover, way better than the others, is PoW!!!

In my opinion, one of the (conceptually) 20 best covers ever.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 6 2012, 10:29 AM)
I went with PeW. Cool cover, Ou la la cover girl, and it marked the end of the naked guy era tongue.gif

PeW is closely followed by FBN, MP, Kings and RTB. trink38.gif

haha, end of the naked guy era. Permanent Waves because of the panties! I can see how it might seem sleazy to some, but that was out when i was hitting puberty, so, no brainer for me.

I have the P/G poster framed and hanging in my den. I have always loved that album cover.

Top 5

1) Grace Under Pressure

2) Permanent Waves

3) Power Windows

4) Signals

5) Vapor Trails

Hemispheres

Grace Under Pressure

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Caress of Steel

If I decide to send any more album covers to get signed, it would be in that order (I already have hemispheres signed) I probably won't just to give other people a chance to get their stuff signed..but these were my choices in order.

The way I look at album covers is if they look like something that I wouldnt mind having frames and on display in a really nice house, then yeah it must be pretty damn good.

Safe to say for me most of their albums dont look like true fine art, but GUP looks like it's a painting by a very well respected artist. Not like all that goofy early shit like FBN or Hemispheres, or corny 80s stuff like PoW, or CGI crap like TFE. I would never hang any of that up, but GUP.... sure would.

Edited by trenken

Wow...I am surprised by the results so far.

PeW- 18

p/g - 15

TFE - 12

First off, I thought p/g would win hands down and it wouldn't be close.

Second, I thought Power Windows (2 votes) would do better as it seems like I've heard alot of people say how much they love that cover.

Third, I can't believe TFE is in the running as I thought people wouldn't be able to separate their "hate" for the album and the great cover.

And lastly, I am blown away that PeW is leading this thing!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 8 2012, 07:00 PM)
Wow...I am surprised by the results so far.

PeW- 18
p/g - 15
TFE - 12

First off, I thought p/g would win hands down and it wouldn't be close.

Second, I thought Power Windows (2 votes) would do better as it seems like I've heard alot of people say how much they love that cover.

Third, I can't believe TFE is in the running as I thought people wouldn't be able to separate their "hate" for the album and the great cover.

And lastly, I am blown away that PeW is leading this thing!

I'm surprised by the results too. Even though the panties showing on the Permanent Waves cover drops it a few notches, and I think the background is a tad too busy, it's still a classic cover graphically.

GUP for me, however, is the obvious winner. I love the softness of the image of the person on the left and the water in contrast with the chaos of the sky. The color palette is simple, yet very effective.

And Power Windows IS a truly excellent cover - amazing illustration and DEFINITELY better than Permanent Waves.

Moving Pictures is also a favorite - I love the black, and even though the word contrived is usually a bad thing, I love the contrived cover of them literally moving pictures. Great colors on the cover as well...

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 19 2012, 03:24 AM)
In terms of iconic power, nothing still beats the Owl on Fly by Night IMHO.
That said, my favourite cover is ESL.

Exit Stage Left IS a great cover, especially when you open it up to see the front and back image, but I don't know how great it would be to a non-Rush fan. The majority of the appeal obviously is it being a composite of previous covers. Even still, it is pretty cool.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 19 2012, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 19 2012, 03:24 AM)
In terms of iconic power, nothing still beats the Owl on Fly by Night IMHO.
That said, my favourite cover is ESL.

Exit Stage Left IS a great cover, especially when you open it up to see the front and back image, but I don't know how great it would be to a non-Rush fan. The majority of the appeal obviously is it being a composite of previous covers. Even still, it is pretty cool.

You're totally right. It's the self reference value that makes it my favourite. I'm a nerd. tongue.gif

Gotta be Grace Under Pressure. Beautiful!

Other Rush covers I'm particularly fond of (from an artistic standpoint):

- Permanent Waves

- Presto

- Roll The Bones

- Test For Echo

- Vapor Trails

P/G? Seriously? With those weird teeth and 80's hairdresser colors? It looks like Symes spilled some pink and turquois water color on some spackle and then doodled randomly around the edge.

PerW? All the love for this cover here reminds me of the episode of "That Metal Show" where Don and Rick (not sure if that is the co-hosts names) expressed their love for the PerW cover. It was not based on artistic merit.

Edited by Animate