What is your favorite RUSH studio album cover?

Presto-a RUSH fan!

What is your favorite RUSH studio album cover?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite RUSH studio album cover?

• RUSH
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress Of Steel
    • A Farewell To Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows

Let's see:

1. Signals

2. Hold Your Fire

3. Moving Pictures

4. Presto

5. Test for Echo (even though I despise this album)

Remember that Snakes and Arrows is not a Hugh Syme cover. That came from an existing book cover. It's borrowed art.

Signals take the mundane and makes it impressive. It was considerably different than previous covers.

Hold Your Fire let's a hot red color be the focus instead of imagery. Good marketing because it was the easiest to spot in the album bin in 1987.

Moving Pictures - I like the cute moving picture of a moving picture thing going on. Also, I'm in the architecture business and I love those stone arches of the Parliament building in Toronto that's featured. I've also visited it. Many old renaissance paintings use architecture (often arches) in the background as a framing device for a scene taking place in the foreground.

Presto is a moody overcast gray sky with bunnies. Humor is involved with this one.

Test for Echo looks beautiful. Miles and miles of clear blue sky. You just wanna take in some of that clean, fresh, cool air.

Kings

I don't get why T4E is rating so high in this poll, but then again, I don't like the covers for any of the 4 Rush albums I think are below par; VT, T4E, RTB & Presto.

Mind you there are plenty of albums I don't like or can't stand that have fantastic covers, and plenty of albums I love that have horrible covers, but with Rush, since they're my favorite group, the music does influence my enjoyment of the cover to at least a small extent. That said, I think Hemispheres is one of their best albums, but with one of their worst covers.

The other one that rates high in this poll that I'm not getting is Permanent Waves. Honestly, and I can't even believe I'm saying this, but the one thing that detracts from the cover is seeing the woman's underwear underneath her skirt. God forbid I should sound puritanical or something, but it just doesn't work for me somehow. I guess it reminds me of a tasteless Scorpions or Roxy Music album cover. Otherwise, I like it artistically. I like the black and white.

A few people have put down the Power Windows cover, and I always thought that was one of their best - great illustration!

1.) Permanent Waves

2.) Fly By Night

3.) A Farewell To Kings

4.) Moving Pictures

5.) Grace Under Pressure

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 5 2012, 01:53 PM)
I don't get why T4E is rating so high in this poll, but then again, I don't like the covers for any of the 4 Rush albums I think are below par; VT, T4E, RTB & Presto.

Mind you there are plenty of albums I don't like or can't stand that have fantastic covers, and plenty of albums I love that have horrible covers, but with Rush, since they're my favorite group, the music does influence my enjoyment of the cover to at least a small extent.  That said, I think Hemispheres is one of their best albums, but with one of their worst covers.

The other one that rates high in this poll that I'm not getting is Permanent Waves.  Honestly, and I can't even believe I'm saying this, but the one thing that detracts from the cover is seeing the woman's underwear underneath her skirt.  God forbid I should sound puritanical or something, but it just doesn't work for me somehow.  I guess it reminds me of a tasteless Scorpions or Roxy Music album cover.  Otherwise, I like it artistically.  I like the black and white.

A few people have put down the Power Windows cover, and I always thought that was one of their best - great illustration!

Seriously? You can't understand why TFE is rating so high? It's a very cool picture, very serene and cool with the three little climbers.

Like you said, I think you are having trouble separating the music from the cover. Again, it's your opinion and I respect your opinion, but I can't see why you can't understand why people would like it. I like CoS, but you rated it 3rd? IMO, CoS is probably in my bottom 5. And unless people are just doing what they do on VT and just liking TFE's cover because it's such a great album tongue.gif, I think you are definitely letting your disdain for the music cloud your judgement! tongue.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 5 2012, 12:53 PM)
The other one that rates high in this poll that I'm not getting is Permanent Waves.  Honestly, and I can't even believe I'm saying this, but the one thing that detracts from the cover is seeing the woman's underwear underneath her skirt.  God forbid I should sound puritanical or something, but it just doesn't work for me somehow.  I guess it reminds me of a tasteless Scorpions or Roxy Music album cover.  Otherwise, I like it artistically.  I like the black and white.

I am so glad you were the first one to say that. I actually like the black and white cover but I have the exact same reaction to the underwear.

Thats why I left Permanent Waves one of my unranked covers.

I love Permanent Waves. Brilliant! Everything is so excitingly positive and fresh in every aspect of the album. The font, the color scheme, the thought and hard work that went into its cover layout, photo of Alex smiling, etc... Ahhh, the good ol' days.

I got to pick Caress of Steel. I love the whole Golden Native American head thing. It signifies the power of that album.

Speaking of COS...I was playing my Ipod on shuffle last night. Fountain of Lamneth came on and was awesome, then Jethro Tull's Passion Played followed. I never noticed how well these two songs seem to follow each other, lyrically.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 6 2012, 11:02 AM)
I love Permanent Waves. Brilliant! Everything is so excitingly positive and fresh in every aspect of the album. The font, the color scheme, the thought and hard work that went into its cover layout, photo of Alex smiling, etc... Ahhh, the good ol' days.

yes.gif