Best Decision Geddy has ever Made

losingit2k

QUOTE (Phantom @ Feb 26 2012, 06:19 AM)
Neil's drumming has become less agressive as he's aged.

That's true. But I'm not sure it's simply a matter of age. I've always said that Alex doesn't get the same kind of recognition that EVH, Satch or Vai gets mainly because he plays within the structure of the song. He only plays what the song demands, and doesn't get flashy or ham-fisted. Neil, I think, is very much the same way. Even in their younger days, when he was more aggressive, it never overpowered or detracted from the song.

The songs they've written, pretty much since the 80's, have been less proggy, less agressive on the whole. Neil's drumming has reflected that. He still displays tremendous talent, but it's not as aggressive as it used to be, IMO.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Feb 26 2012, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Feb 26 2012, 07:19 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Feb 25 2012, 01:45 PM)
If you listen to boots from the Hemispheres tour, he was really struggling to sing that live every night. It was too high for long stretches and it really tires down the vocal chords.

He didnt really have a lot of choice knowing at that point they would probably have a long career ahead of them.

And now on the new songs he's singing very low. Definitely a smart decision.

Re the new album, I definitely recall reading something from Nick R ( back when they were first discussing the plans for the album ) about how he was going to push them to give him "old rush", with Geddy's voice up high, and neil's drums dominating.

I can't see how Ged could pull off the old voice, and Neil's drumming has become less agressive as he's aged.

That said, I think the album will be very strong.

Well if the first tow songs are any indication of what's to come, I believe Nick has achieved 50% of his goal. You can't change Geddy's voice but you can demand more from Neil!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

More machine-gun tom runs!

1022.gif

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Feb 21 2012, 11:22 AM)
I just finished the section in Chemistry in which Jon Collins discusses how Rupert Hine, as a stipulation for taking on Presto, insisted that Geddy reconsider his vocal approach.

"Half jokingly, Rupert suggested singing the songs a whole octave down. 'You wouldn't even have to change the key!' Both Rupert and Geddy were well aware of the potential dangers of changing style. 'It was a dangerous thing to discuss,' says Rupert. 'I knew they might lose legions of fans, who only bought the records because Geddy was up there in the Robert Plant range and that's what they loved. It wouldn't sound like Geddy Lee anymore.' Geddy, again very bravely, said, 'Well, why don't we experiement, it'll be something new.'"

By the way, since this is my first post, I must add this: Rush Rules!!!

While this is interesting, I didn't think Geddy's pre-Presto albums (GUP, Power Windows, HYF) had him singing any higher than he did on any of Presto. He lost/stopped using his upper registers after 1980 on the studio albums for the most part.

And on Presto, 'Show Don't Tell' and 'Available Light' have him singing pretty high.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 26 2012, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Feb 26 2012, 06:19 AM)
Neil's drumming has become less agressive as he's aged.

That's true. But I'm not sure it's simply a matter of age. I've always said that Alex doesn't get the same kind of recognition that EVH, Satch or Vai gets mainly because he plays within the structure of the song. He only plays what the song demands, and doesn't get flashy or ham-fisted. Neil, I think, is very much the same way. Even in their younger days, when he was more aggressive, it never overpowered or detracted from the song.

The songs they've written, pretty much since the 80's, have been less proggy, less agressive on the whole. Neil's drumming has reflected that. He still displays tremendous talent, but it's not as aggressive as it used to be, IMO.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Feb 28 2012, 05:14 PM)
Lowering his vocal register worked for Elton John and thats with David Furnish stuck up him, a luxury Geddy doesn't have!

Well Geddy has lower his pitch considerably since Hemisphere! I think he's doing just fine!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif