Computerized Clinic

launchpad67a

This topic is only for Software that fixes specific computer troubles! No comments, just Downloads and Links.

5 programs in 1 zip file.

Spybot, AdAware, CWShredder, EasyClean, HijackThis

Get it HERE

Edited by launchpad67a

Missing some of your "Favorites" icons?

FavOrg

Description:

"Favicons are usually lost when you delete your Temporary Internet Files, but FavOrg preserves them. The program also lets you associate any icon you choose with a given shortcut, even if no favicon is provided. Since FavOrg must check the validity of an Internet shortcut before attempting to download the favicon, it automatically flags dead links as it goes through your Favorites list. If you like, it can update redirected links or reset dead links to the site's root."

Need good, free Anti Virus Protection?

AVG AntiVirus by Grisoft

Description:

"AVG Free is available free of charge to home users for the life of the product and includes automatic update functionality, real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run, free Virus Database Updates for the lifetime of the product, and AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files.

Avast is an excellent antivirus program and it is free. You have to register but that is no big deal...Your registration runs out after a year but you can just re-register again. I like the fact that it updates itself (pretty much every day). Excellent program.

It has nailed everything that came my way...When it does you will know it laugh.gif . Major alarms go off and alerts you biggrin.gif

http://www.avast.com/

This isn't necessarily a "fix" program, but it does fix the problem of not having programs such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint:

OpenOffice.org is a multiplatform and multilingual office suite and an open-source project. Compatible with all other major office suites, the product is free to download, use, and distribute.

www.openoffice.org

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 14 2006, 09:54 AM)
I got Crap Cleaner and it has sped me up a lot. Should I still get Ad-Aware? Are they different and should be used in conjunction?

Never hurts to use more than one. I use Spybot and Ad Aware.

Spybot is free, and Ad Aware I get through my work. Both these combos I find work well.

I need to delete a large amount of duplicate files and have tried to use Easy Clean. It finds them, but when I try to delete them, it just lays there and then freezes. I have to bring up Task Manager to shut it down. Does anyone know of another free program that finds and deletes duplicate files the way Easy Clean is supposed to?

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 11 2006, 11:25 PM)
Doesn't CCleaner do it?

Ccleaner doesn't have a feature that locates and deletes duplicate program files like Easy Clean does. Unless I'm missing something. I have a program I update about once a year from CD and don't un-install the old program to install the new one. It's supposed to install over the old one but duplicates some of the old files. My hard drive is small and the files are starting to add up. If there's something in Ccleaner that I missed, let me know. Thanks.

laugh.gif The program file is 3.36 GB (3,613,003,776 bytes), something is wrong with this picture. I e-mailed them to see what I can delete or if I should just un-install and re-install. It contains quite a few Demo movies I think I can dump.

Edited by Drumnut

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 12 2006, 12:43 AM)
laugh.gif The program file is 3.36 GB (3,613,003,776 bytes), something is wrong with this picture. I e-mailed them to see what I can delete or if I should just un-install and re-install. It contains quite a few Demo movies I think I can dump.

Can I ask what single program is taking up 3GB+ of space on your drive?

I can tell you why easyclean is stalling out when you try to remove the duplicates. It's because any computer will stall out when trying to delete GB's of space. Try just deleting a few at a time.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 12 2006, 08:54 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 12 2006, 12:43 AM)

Can I ask what single program is taking up 3GB+ of space on your drive?

I can tell you why easyclean is stalling out when you try to remove the duplicates. It's because any computer will stall out when trying to delete GB's of space. Try just deleting a few at a time.

doh.gif Thanks for getting back to this Mike, I found the 3GB gorilla sitting in the room. I downloaded all the files from their site and forgot to delete them after I installed them. It's normally supposed to install from a CD. They are sending me the CD later, but I wanted to download it and use it now. They included several tutorial movies with it but didn't label them as such, they are seperate when you get the CD package. It was actually two programs, Band in a Box and Powertracks from PG music. The tutorial/movie files are really what took all of that space, delete those, and it's fine. I still need a bigger hard drive, but this will work for now. Thanks again.

Question about Crap Cleaner: First off, I know it's officially CCleaner now, but I just love the name Crap Cleaner! biggrin.gif

Anywho, how do I make sure it doesn't remove any important files? Because when I used Audiograbber, one of the options was to select "Microsoft PCM Converter" under ripping format. This also allowed me to convert WAV to WAV if I needed a higher / lower sample rate. Well, after I downloaded and ran Crap Cleaner -- heard it sped you up -- this option is no longer available. Is Crap Cleaner removing other important files need for applications?

unsure.gif

(Edited for clarification.)

Edited by Show Don't Tell

Advanced Windows Care is a pretty cool freeware program. There is also a paid version but pretty much the only difference is you have to do the scans manually with the freeware version. It has quite a lot of features and I have seen it make some PCs run a lot faster after a scan and repair but most of the time you don't really notice much of a difference. I have never seen it make any problems worse or create problems. You can also uninstall programs with this and it shows you all the processes running and you can stop or delete the processes you want.(Be careful with that.) It also shows you a list of all the start up programs which you can disable or delete whichever ones you like. It's scan searches for adware/spyware, checks your registry, looks for system problems and a bunch of other things. It may not be the best program like this on the market but I find it a very useful tool for your pc and recommend it.

Advanced Windows Care

Edited by snowdogged

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jun 14 2006, 06:42 PM)
Surprised this has not been posted yet:

Crap Cleaner

Great little program.

Piriform also features a free defragmentation program.

It's called "Defraggler."

My standard defragmenter under windows "system tools" would just not work. This free one did.

There is another free program listed on the site called "Recuva" but I have not needed nor investigated that one yet.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Aug 29 2008, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jun 14 2006, 06:42 PM)
Surprised this has not been posted yet:

Crap Cleaner

Great little program.

Piriform also features a free defragmentation program.

It's called "Defraggler."

My standard defragmenter under windows "system tools" would just not work. This free one did.

There is another free program listed on the site called "Recuva" but I have not needed nor investigated that one yet.

Thanks for this one, the one I'm on right now is fine, but I have an older one sitting around this might help. comp26.gif

Autoplay Repair

A tool designed to manage your Autoplay Handler collection

Actually this tool has been written to remove corrupted entries from Windows XP's autoplay.

The background is that after an uninstallation of several applications like media players, some invalid entries still may remain in Windows XP's autoplay sections.

These are visible every time a CD or DVD is put into the drive and the autoplay selection dialog appears.

Now with Autoplay Repair it is possible to remove these invalid entries and even create new or modify existing so called autoplay handlers quickly and easily. But Autoplay Repair can also be used to remove unwanted entries or just to tidy up the Windows autoplay sections for a better overview. In addition to that Autoplay Repair has some other necessary features to offer.