Albums or Playlists?

danielmclark

What do you listen to most frequently?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What do you listen to most frequently?

• One album (or a majority of an album) at a time
    • A playlist of songs from one particular artist
    • A playlist containing many whole albums by many artists
    • A playlist containing a few cherry-picked songs by many artists

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 20 2012, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 20 2012, 04:31 AM)
I eat meat. I drink whiskey. I listen to albums.

And you sacrifice goats and deflower virgins at dawn on a windswept moor!

1287.gif

Only on Tuesdays . The rest of the week I attempt to invade small principalities with my trusty herd of trained wildebeest .

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 20 2012, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 20 2012, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 20 2012, 04:31 AM)
I eat meat. I drink whiskey. I listen to albums.

And you sacrifice goats and deflower virgins at dawn on a windswept moor!

1287.gif

Only on Tuesdays . The rest of the week I attempt to invade small principalities with my trusty herd of trained wildebeest .

With the call of your clarion horn in your ears and your trusty mad mistral monk by your side!

trink38.gif

I prefer albums from start to finish. At home, I spin vinyl sometimes starting with side 2 but i always listen to the whole album usually starting with side 1. In the car I play CD's, if it's an album I know well I usually skip around but if I don't know the album very well I start it with track 1 and just let it go. On my MP3 players, for years I played albums start to finish but lately (out of boredom) I've been using shuffle just to break up the monotony.

I don't know why, but I'm *really* surprised the the results are so skewed toward whole albums. Maybe it's just the age, but I figured more people would be using playlists on their computers or iPods.

I wonder if it's because as a demographic, we Rush fans generally trend a little older and most of us grew up with albums, cassettes and CDs.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 20 2012, 06:15 PM)
I wonder if it's because as a demographic, we Rush fans generally trend a little older and most of us grew up with albums, cassettes and CDs.

Yeah, there's definitely something to that in my case. I'm one of those curmudgeonly guys who think most of this new technological stuff is superfluous.

I love the single. Growing up the single was as important as an album. And let's face it, most albums are simply a collection of songs with no connection other than being performed by the same band or artist. How many great albums don't have a connection between songs? I believe most of them.

One album at a time for me.

Easy since I don't own an iPod or anything like. Just own CD's and records (yes the things you put on turntables and play).

Actually I own way more records than CD's because, other than with my Rush albums and a few others, I don't have an "overlap" (for lack of a better phrase). If I own it on vinyl I most likely don't have it on CD.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 20 2012, 08:24 PM)
I love the single. Growing up the single was as important as an album. And let's face it, most albums are simply a collection of songs with no connection other than being performed by the same band or artist. How many great albums don't have a connection between songs? I believe most of them.

They're linked by the recording sessions though. Black Sabbath in a castle recording Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Genesis in a mansion waiting for ages for Peter Gabriel to get his shit together for the Lamb album, Deep Purple in the Rolling Stone's mobile studio with Blackmore and Gillan arguing the toss...

Then there's always the concept album, or as in RUSH's case, the one side concept suite...and so forth...

trink36.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 20 2012, 08:42 PM)

They're linked by the recording sessions though. Black Sabbath in a castle recording Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Genesis in a mansion waiting for ages for Peter Gabriel to get his shit together for the Lamb album, Deep Purple in the Rolling Stone's mobile studio with Blackmore and Gillan arguing the toss...

Then there's always the concept album, or as in RUSH's case, the one side concept suite...and so forth...

trink36.gif

Albums are also linked by the production quality, the volume level, the mixing, that one album that features a different vocalist etc etc...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 20 2012, 08:46 PM)

trink36.gif

Albums are also linked by the production quality, the volume level, the mixing, that one album that features a different vocalist etc etc...

Thanks for going into the detail I was too lazy to write. I guess my point is you can pick a single song off an album and it stands on its own. I don't think classic songs like "Stairway to Heaven" or "Smoke on the Water" or "Paranoid" need to be listened to in the context of the albums they were recorded for. In fact, I think most songs are like that. Anyway, I'm just stating that a single song can resonate as much as an album.

Whole albums. Most of my music listening (other than the radio at work) is done in my car, where I'll put in an album and let it play through until the end (over the course of a few trips back and forth to work). I don't have a portable MP3 player. At home, I'll pick and choose songs and artists off YouTube, listen to vinyl records (not always having time for the whole album, but always picking up where I left off, in order), or listening to a random collection by the same artist, such as RushRadio.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 20 2012, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 20 2012, 08:46 PM)

trink36.gif

Thanks for going into the detail I was too lazy to write. I guess my point is you can pick a single song off an album and it stands on its own. I don't think classic songs like "Stairway to Heaven" or "Smoke on the Water" or "Paranoid" need to be listened to in the context of the albums they were recorded for. In fact, I think most songs are like that. Anyway, I'm just stating that a single song can resonate as much as an album.

Aye...

trink38.gif

Albums. I never even got a new iPod after mine broke. I have made a few mixtapes and CDs, usually with a bunch of songs from the same band. Got a Budgie mix that's good drinking music. trink38.gif

Vinyl and CDs all the way. I even bought a few tapes the other day. 1287.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 20 2012, 03:50 AM)
I love to make compilations of music. I always have. Back in the day I made a ridiculous amount of "mixed tapes" on actual cassette tapes. Later I made CD compilations. For almost five years I did my radio show, playing favorite songs - sometimes I'd play entire album sides, but mostly it was individual songs.

Mostly, however, I listen to full albums, because that's the way the artist intended it to be listened to, that's the way they were released. Almost always when I made compilations and did my radio show, yes, I chose my favorite songs by artists, but the intention was always to get people to check out the groups more if they like them, and hence hear their entire albums, to hear the entire works of art the way they were meant to be presented.

I can understand certain things. For example, sometimes an artist made only one or two good tracks, maybe a small handful, it it seems silly to listen to 45 minutes of music every time you want to hear a specific 3 minutes of music. In those instances, I do understand, but other than that, it just seems a direction the music world has taken and younger people have taken to cut and paste in a way that just doesn't seem right to me.

Of course everyone is entitled to do what works for them, but I can't help but be somewhat old school about this. I also don't like MP3's and the whole "quantity over quality" aspect. Today the music world and people's music listening activities is all about convenience. Sometimes it shouldn't be.

Ah, the mix tape era...I remember this. Especially making one for that special someone. "I'll make her a mix tape" was a common thing heard when I was younger.

I am old fashioned and when I listen, it is usually one album at a time. I have been known to go song to song playlist especially at the gym, but it is usually on the fly. There are no playlists on my computer.

CD's all the way. They're meant to be played in order, and sound better that way. I don't own an Ipod or mp3 player, so the choice is easy. I do have I-tunes on my computer, but the speakers are terrible, so I stick with my stereo. As for my car, I just have a radio. I'm quite happy to keep things this way.

"Now it's come to this, it's like we're back in the dark ages..."

2.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Feb 21 2012, 06:43 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 20 2012, 03:50 AM)
I love to make compilations of music.  I always have.  Back in the day I made a ridiculous amount of "mixed tapes" on actual cassette tapes.  Later I made CD compilations.  For almost five years I did my radio show, playing favorite songs - sometimes I'd play entire album sides, but mostly it was individual songs.

Mostly, however, I listen to full albums, because that's the way the artist intended it to be listened to, that's the way they were released.  Almost always when I made compilations and did my radio show, yes, I chose my favorite songs by artists, but the intention was always to get people to check out the groups more if they like them, and hence hear their entire albums, to hear the entire works of art the way they were meant to be presented.

I can understand certain things.  For example, sometimes an artist made only one or two good tracks, maybe a small handful, it it seems silly to listen to 45 minutes of music every time you want to hear a specific 3 minutes of music.  In those instances, I do understand, but other than that, it just seems a direction the music world has taken and younger people have taken to cut and paste in a way that just doesn't seem right to me. 

Of course everyone is entitled to do what works for them, but I can't help but be somewhat old school about this.  I also don't like MP3's and the whole "quantity over quality" aspect.  Today the music world and people's music listening activities is all about convenience.  Sometimes it shouldn't be.

Ah, the mix tape era...I remember this. Especially making one for that special someone. "I'll make her a mix tape" was a common thing heard when I was younger.

I am old fashioned and when I listen, it is usually one album at a time. I have been known to go song to song playlist especially at the gym, but it is usually on the fly. There are no playlists on my computer.

I did do that myself in the 80s but I called them compilation tapes...

tongue.gif

I'm tired, have a flu, kind of am disoriented so sorry if this post is sloppy

when i walk to school i hand pick songs based upon my mood... i think this is just bad habit though.

i only listen to rock / metal... never any other genres really... not willingly anyways

I never shuffle... shuffling is terrible. why would you do this to yourself? Going from Firth of Fifth to Madrigal to Come Together? Is this one's idea of a good listening experience? Sounds manipulative to me.

I listen to album by album on my phone... It's usually about 20% of the album I'll listen to, but if the mood is right and the album is perfect I will listen to it all (Close to the Edge, Please Come Home Mr. Bulbous, Come Somewhere, A Farewell to Kings)...

Other times, yeah, I'll do a playlist. Playlists are always by the same band, and the songs are consistent with each other. ex:

A good Rush Playlist:

(all selected from a set range)

The Trees

A Farewell to Kings

Xanadu

Cinderella Man

Lakeside Park

Lessons

La Villa Strangiato

A bad Rush Playlist:

(all great songs, but not in this order...)

Cut to the Chase

Subdivisions

Far Cry

Resist

Middletown Dreams

Between the Wheels

So i'm not sure what to pick from this poll

I guess like most it all depends.. it doesn't really matter.

Edited by Ovningskora