Albums or Playlists?

danielmclark

What do you listen to most frequently?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What do you listen to most frequently?

• One album (or a majority of an album) at a time
    • A playlist of songs from one particular artist
    • A playlist containing many whole albums by many artists
    • A playlist containing a few cherry-picked songs by many artists

Just curious.

Earlier I put on Florence + the Machine and let it run through her most recent album while we had dinner. It occurred to me that I almost never do that... even when I discover a new album, I drop it whole into a playlist that I shuffle up and then remove the songs I don't like. I've got probably 3-4 dozen artists in my main playlist, but only a handful of songs by each artist.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always listen to whole albums. Sometimes I listen to individual songs but I hate playlists. I know this sounds pretentious and snobby but I like to listen to the music the way the artist intended it to be heard. I also never skip tracks. There are lots of songs that I never cared for originally but after listening to them a bunch of times I've grown to like them (Mystic Rhythms is one of those songs).

Whole albums for me. At any given time, I'm usually in the mood for a certain flavor of music, and playing a single album better suits such moods than leaving the tracks I hear to chance or going with an eclectic assortment. Actually, when I was younger, I'd frequently be in the mood for one song in particular and play it over and over again, much to the chagrin of those around me. But, these days, it's one whole album at a time. I do occasionally skip tracks I'm not all that fond of, though.

Album almost all the time. When I work out or run or bike, I shuffle to keep it interesting.

I get absorbed into albums, so I can't work out to them because then I will pay attention to the music and not the workout.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Feb 19 2012, 09:01 PM)
It's 50/50 for me. Either I listen to an entire album, or I put my entire song list on shuffle and enjoy that. It's usually good when I read.

There really was no "all of the above" option, but I agree here.

For the most part, I guess I just throw everything I own on shuffle and skip a few here and there if I'm really not feeling a song.

Sometimes I will be in the mood for a specific artist and just bounce around some favorites from them.

But sometimes I will just lay down, throw on some headphones and find a particular album that I'm interested in, or even throw one on the ol' record player.

It depends. Sometimes I want to hear an album, sometimes I just want to shuffle. 653.gif

I love to make compilations of music. I always have. Back in the day I made a ridiculous amount of "mixed tapes" on actual cassette tapes. Later I made CD compilations. For almost five years I did my radio show, playing favorite songs - sometimes I'd play entire album sides, but mostly it was individual songs.

Mostly, however, I listen to full albums, because that's the way the artist intended it to be listened to, that's the way they were released. Almost always when I made compilations and did my radio show, yes, I chose my favorite songs by artists, but the intention was always to get people to check out the groups more if they like them, and hence hear their entire albums, to hear the entire works of art the way they were meant to be presented.

I can understand certain things. For example, sometimes an artist made only one or two good tracks, maybe a small handful, it it seems silly to listen to 45 minutes of music every time you want to hear a specific 3 minutes of music. In those instances, I do understand, but other than that, it just seems a direction the music world has taken and younger people have taken to cut and paste in a way that just doesn't seem right to me.

Of course everyone is entitled to do what works for them, but I can't help but be somewhat old school about this. I also don't like MP3's and the whole "quantity over quality" aspect. Today the music world and people's music listening activities is all about convenience. Sometimes it shouldn't be.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 20 2012, 03:50 AM)
I love to make compilations of music. I always have. Back in the day I made a ridiculous amount of "mixed tapes" on actual cassette tapes. Later I made CD compilations. For almost five years I did my radio show, playing favorite songs - sometimes I'd play entire album sides, but mostly it was individual songs.

Mostly, however, I listen to full albums, because that's the way the artist intended it to be listened to, that's the way they were released. Almost always when I made compilations and did my radio show, yes, I chose my favorite songs by artists, but the intention was always to get people to check out the groups more if they like them, and hence hear their entire albums, to hear the entire works of art the way they were meant to be presented.

I can understand certain things. For example, sometimes an artist made only one or two good tracks, maybe a small handful, it it seems silly to listen to 45 minutes of music every time you want to hear a specific 3 minutes of music. In those instances, I do understand, but other than that, it just seems a direction the music world has taken and younger people have taken to cut and paste in a way that just doesn't seem right to me.

Of course everyone is entitled to do what works for them, but I can't help but be somewhat old school about this. I also don't like MP3's and the whole "quantity over quality" aspect. Today the music world and people's music listening activities is all about convenience. Sometimes it shouldn't be.

Hells bells I agree with Rushgoober!

ohmy.gif goodpost.gif wacko.gif

QUOTE (Echoes @ Feb 20 2012, 01:49 AM)
What is this "remove songs" and "shuffle" blasphemy you all are referring to? I buy CD's.....

wink.gif

goodpost.gif CD's are the real deal. yes.gif

Only use the iPod when I have to. smile.gif

If you go by sheer time spent with music on, I'd say I listen to many albums by many artists, on shuffle. I have my iPod plugged in all day at work and that's how I listen to it.

Now, if you ask me my preferred way to listen, I'd say one album at a time, all the way through.

i think it depends on the type of album. Give me a good prog album and i could listen to it through and through. But when it's a straight rock album, sometimes I got to pick and choose songs out that fit the mood.

Also, I do a lot of driving, so I like to combine albums in different playlists.

A cool thing to do is to Listen to Rush's working man all the way through to their last one in single sitting. Its neat to see how the albums kind of transition from one to another seamlessly.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Feb 20 2012, 12:11 PM)
If you go by sheer time spent with music on, I'd say I listen to many albums by many artists, on shuffle. I have my iPod plugged in all day at work and that's how I listen to it.

This is what I do as well. I just open up the song menu and hit shuffle, unless I have a bug up my ass and have to hear a particular artist.