Favorite Genesis Songs!

BigBob

QUOTE (tangy @ Feb 19 2012, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 19 2012, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 19 2012, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Feb 19 2012, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 19 2012, 05:59 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 19 2012, 04:38 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Feb 18 2012, 05:09 PM)
I may very well be the only person in existence who to some extent likes every single genesis song. It's just that classic line-up is something else entirely.

Even the unholy triumvirate of crapness?

Hold On My Heart

In Too Deep

Tell Me Why

Those aren't Genesis songs. Those are by Phil Collins (featuring Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford).

what about

laugh.gif common001.gif

i was thinking about when genesis used the horns from earth wind and fire.

it was a pretty bold move IMO.

I love Easy Lover. And I will defend Sussudio to the death! 1287.gif

Traitor.... Turn in your Prog Badge!

good grief, i had forgotten about sussiodo! tongue.gif

The best song Prince never wrote. I've been saying it for years.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 19 2012, 09:35 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Feb 19 2012, 09:24 AM)
I may very well be the only person in existence who to some extent likes every single genesis song. It's just that classic line-up is something else entirely.

Hold On My Heart

In Too Deep

Tell Me Why

Those aren't Genesis songs. Those are by Phil Collins (featuring Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford).

what about

laugh.gif common001.gif

Yep, and to me, that's when they stopped being Genesis and turned into Phil Collins' Motown-wannabe project. Or as I like to call it, Selling Out Genesis By The Pound.

Easy Lover is perfect, edgy pop (it's even on the Genesis playlist I posted) - easily Phil's best collab

and I expect that childish 'Genesis became a Phil Collins side-project from 1980 on' is just you being lazy or prejudiced

I'd honestly be a little surprised if your musical knowledge was that profoundly lacking

Edited by ghostworks

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 19 2012, 08:06 PM)

Hold On My Heart

In Too Deep

Tell Me Why

what about

laugh.gif common001.gif

Yep, and to me, that's when they stopped being Genesis and turned into Phil Collins' Motown-wannabe project. Or as I like to call it, Selling Out Genesis By The Pound.

Easy Lover is perfect, edgy pop (it's even on the Genesis playlist I posted) - easily Phil's best collab

and I expect that childish 'Genesis became a Phil Collins side-project from 1980 on' is just you being lazy or prejudiced

I'd honestly be a little surprised if your musical knowledge was that profoundly lacking

Another Easy Lover lover(see what I did!?!?!)!

We'll form an army yet.

Hold On My Heart

In Too Deep

Tell Me Why

wow

you've obviously never heard:

Anything She Does

Trick Of The Tail

Never A Time

...I suggest you keep it that way trink39.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 19 2012, 03:06 PM)

Hold On My Heart

In Too Deep

Tell Me Why

what about

laugh.gif common001.gif

Gee, thanks for the judgement there, ghostie. Didn't realize I had to have you justify my taste in music. Next time I'll run that shit past you first, mmkay? (That was sarcasm, ghostie -- I know I have to spell that out in writing so that you don't spend the next three weeks harping on about it. biggrin.gif)

Of course Banks and Rutherford weren't Phil's puppets, and of course they had a hand in turning Genesis into a pop act. And the transition from prog to pop was gradual, and in my estimation started on And Then There Were Three after Hackett left.

But when I see Phil go from being a prog drummer and frontman to doing Motown covers (not that there's anything wrong with Motown, mind you) and sugar-coated ballads for movie soundtracks, along with the three songs HA&S mentioned, it makes me think he had more to do with Genesis' transformation than the other two guys. Just an opinion, which I am entitled to despite your objections. smile.gif

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 19 2012, 08:17 PM)

Hold On My Heart

In Too Deep

Tell Me Why

wow

Anything She Does

Trick Of The Tail

Never A Time

Oh I have, but the smoochy ballads win the crap battle everytime. And(whispers), I love Trick Of The Tail.

ALL TOGETHER NOW!!!!

"He's got no horns and he's got no tail..."

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2012, 12:13 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 18 2012, 10:56 AM)
selling england by the pound.

If this* was the only album they ever made, they'd be prog rock legends. Another of one of my 10 best albums ever...

* and Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, and The Lamb

I'm hard pressed to find a Collins-era song that I DON'T like to some extent (maybe some songs I like significantly less, but none that I really *hate*). As for the Gabriel-era, there are plenty of great ones, but a lot of them put me to sleep as well. I may not be able to list all of my favorite songs, but I will say that Abacab is my favorite album, if that tells you anything.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 19 2012, 03:24 PM)
But when I see Phil go from being a prog drummer and frontman to doing Motown covers (not that there's anything wrong with Motown, mind you) and sugar-coated ballads for movie soundtracks, along with the three songs HA&S mentioned, it makes me think he had more to do with Genesis' transformation than the other two guys. Just an opinion, which I am entitled to despite your objections. smile.gif

...except that Phil will be the first to admit that it was primarily Mike and Tony that did the writing. Sure, Phil had a lot of input, but it wasn't as if the other guys brought him a 20-minute epic and Phil said "nope, sorry, definitely need the 4-minute ballad--overruled." Mike and Tony had solo projects and side-projects that demonstrated a turn to the shorter, more accessible material just as much as Phil's did--the difference being the amount of success they had. Hell, even Gabriel himself was doing the same thing with his solo material (lest we forget "In Your Eyes" from "...Say Anything"?), and now he's off doing the good ol' "play with the symphony" shtick (which I don't see how that's any better than doing Motown covers). For people to still be on about "Phil changing Genesis" is completely asinine, they were going to reach that point no matter who was singing or doing the songwriting--it was the times changing, not the people.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 19 2012, 03:17 PM)

Anything She Does
Trick Of The Tail
Never A Time

I couldn't even tell you what Never A Time sounds like it's so unmemorable, but A Trick Of The Tail and Anything She Does are GREAT!!!!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Feb 20 2012, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 19 2012, 03:17 PM)

Anything She Does
Trick Of The Tail
Never A Time

...I suggest you keep it that way  trink39.gif

I couldn't even tell you what Never A Time sounds like it's so unmemorable, but A Trick Of The Tail and Anything She Does are GREAT!!!!!! 1022.gif

I had to Youtube Never A Mind, I haven't played We Can't Dance in years....yup, still horrible.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Feb 19 2012, 03:06 PM)

Hold On My Heart

In Too Deep

Tell Me Why

what about

laugh.gif common001.gif

Gee, thanks for the judgement there, ghostie. Didn't realize I had to have you justify my taste in music. Next time I'll run that shit past you first, mmkay? (That was sarcasm, ghostie -- I know I have to spell that out in writing so that you don't spend the next three weeks harping on about it. biggrin.gif)...

I think we're well-past the 'just so you don't take it to heart' phase of our relationship... (but I appreciate the sensitivity, so consider the sarcasm: noted) wub.gif

that said, I still think your assessment is a lazy one

...the transition from prog to pop was gradual, and in my estimation started on And Then There Were Three after Hackett left...

we agree

...when I see Phil go from being a prog drummer and frontman to doing Motown covers (not that there's anything wrong with Motown, mind you) and sugar-coated ballads for movie soundtracks, along with the three songs HA&S mentioned, it makes me think he had more to do with Genesis' transformation than the other two guys...

Tony Banks - The Fugitive

Tony Banks - Bankstatement

Tony Banks - Still

Mike & The Mechanics

Mike & The Mechanics - The Living Years... (shall I continue?)

sorry, but laying Genesis' transformation at Phil's feet is provably wrong

yes yes, he was the highest profile solo act of the three at the time, but you shouldn't let yourself be convinced that popularity = influence, especially when the evidence renders that opinion uninformed

Phil's solo albums are a 50/50 reward for me at best (and I'm all done listening to them at all after 'No Jacket Required')

and I've got absolutely nothing good to say about his soundtrack work

but I think you're exaggerating the line where Genesis/Phil blur

> Behind The Lines, Misunderstanding, TIOA (3 songs out of 12)

> No Reply At All, Man On The Corner (2 out of 9)

> Taking It All Too Hard (1 out of 9)

> In Too Deep, Throwing It All Away (2 out of 8)

> Never A Time, Hold On My Heart (2 out of 12)

^ that's it - ten songs

the rest is Genesis music - sure, maybe it's Genesis music you don't 'like' (hell, I certainly don't like most of IT and more than half of WCD is garbage) but it's got nothing to do with Phil as primary influence

Tony and Mike were just as smitten with complicated pop song choreography as Phil at the time, and the effort to craft such songs paid off

so yes - of course you're as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine

the lazy ones irk me, that's all

nothing more to it than that trink39.gif