The Official Anathema Thread

adace1

I was a little worried that the album would sound too much like Weather Systems, and while the first half is in a similar style (if a bit moodier), the songs are all really strong so I don't really care. With the exception of You're Not Alone (a song I hated at first, but am beginning to tolerate), I love the electronica-influenced songs but wish they were spread out across the album, as it feels a little unbalanced having them all at the end. So overall, I'm really happy with this album. Favorites are Distant Satellites, Ariel, and The Lost Song Part Two.
  • Like 2

I was a little worried that the album would sound too much like Weather Systems, and while the first half is in a similar style (if a bit moodier), the songs are all really strong so I don't really care. With the exception of You're Not Alone (a song I hated at first, but am beginning to tolerate), I love the electronica-influenced songs but wish they were spread out across the album, as it feels a little unbalanced having them all at the end. So overall, I'm really happy with this album. Favorites are Distant Satellites, Ariel, and The Lost Song Part Two.

Those are my picks as well. :cheers:

• Like 1

Those are my picks as well. :cheers:

With the addition of Anathema, those tracks were my favorites as well.

My copy arrived via Royal Mail today. The 5.1 mix is totally immersive and does not rely on gimmicks. Fantastic.

Favorites: The Lost Song I, II, and III, Dusk, Distant Satellites, Ariel

I'm reading rave reviews of this new one and was considering checking it out. But then I don't want to make an enemy out of Steevo... :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :cool:

:LOL: I'm not that bad am I :unsure: ...seriously, I'm fascinated what people like around here, let us know what you reckon BUT don't go on that last album, check out the previous two gems as well if you haven't already :hi:

Edited by Steevo
  • Like 1

I'm reading rave reviews of this new one and was considering checking it out. But then I don't want to make an enemy out of Steevo... :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :cool:

:LOL: I'm not that bad am I :unsure: ...seriously, I'm fascinated what people like around here, let us know what you reckon BUT don't go on that last album, check out the previous two gems as well if you haven't already :hi:

As you might guess, it was easier to get the new one so for now I've been spinning this a couple of times. I intend to go back and get the previous ones as well.

Well, I was going to say that the biggest letdown for me are the lyrics. I mean, come one, I could come up with those lyrics with my public school english, and the only experience I've had as lyricist was writing the words for a couple of songs for Necro's death metal band managed by Treeduck, so many years ago... :LOL: :lol:

Then this morning, as I was listening to it in the car, it dawned on me that maybe the ultra-simple lyrics are that way by design, that they are meant to be so basic to blend with the minimalistic musical textures. This realization opened a new layer for me.

Musically, it sounds like a minimalistic PT, in some way. Every song is a crescendo which I'm not sure why would a band make a whole album of crescendos. I'm stil not won over yet, but it's definitely interesting.

• Like 1

As you might guess, it was easier to get the new one so for now I've been spinning this a couple of times. I intend to go back and get the previous ones as well.

Well, I was going to say that the biggest letdown for me are the lyrics. I mean, come one, I could come up with those lyrics with my public school english, and the only experience I've had as lyricist was writing the words for a couple of songs for Necro's death metal band managed by Treeduck, so many years ago... :LOL: :lol:

Then this morning, as I was listening to it in the car, it dawned on me that maybe the ultra-simple lyrics are that way by design, that they are meant to be so basic to blend with the minimalistic musical textures. This realization opened a new layer for me.

Musically, it sounds like a minimalistic PT, in some way. Every song is a crescendo which I'm not sure why would a band make a whole album of crescendos. I'm stil not won over yet, but it's definitely interesting.

THANKS for that! Simple lyrics granted, but their musicality is an entirely different matter....and that's what's important!! If you rip on WHBWH and WS yer dead! :bang bang:

SEPTEMBER 2014

21st – Glasgow, o2 ABC2

22nd – o2 Academy Newcastle 2

23rd – Manchester Academy 3

25th – Wolverhampton, Slade Rooms

26th – London, Koko

27th – Bristol, Thekla

28th – Southampton, Talking Heads

SEPTEMBER 2014

21st – Glasgow, o2 ABC2

22nd – o2 Academy Newcastle 2

23rd – Manchester Academy 3

25th – Wolverhampton, Slade Rooms

26th – London, Koko

27th – Bristol, Thekla

28th – Southampton, Talking Heads

And Dublin, thank f**k. These flights to the UK are breaking me.

• Like 1

Had a few listens of the new album. It's just ok. They sure love the crescendo theme for most of their music. Some tunes are annoying. Some a fun crescendo tunes. Gonna give it more spins for sure.