Which Riffs/Progressions Did Alex Come Up With?

RoyFan

While Rush will always be a team effort, from what I've read, I think Geddy writes a lot of the

"skeletons" of the songs musically. The basic chord progressions and melodies. Even a lot of the riffs.

Alex recalled once that Geddy came up with the Closer To The Heart guitar intro.

In a 1984 Keyboard Magazine interview - Geddy recalled composing Trees and Subdivisions entirely on keyboard as well as the intro to the song "A Farewell To Kings" - which Alex obviously created his own guitar arrangement for.

On the other hand, I once heard a bootleg of a soundcheck circa Hemispheres Tour, and Alex is playing

the intro riff to "Freewill"! So I would think that was his riff, and an important one at that.

If anyone has good info on riffs/chord progressions etc that were definitely Alex's I'd love to know myself.

I'm not sure anyone can say for certian who came up with what unless you were in the room when they wrote everything. I've always operated under the assumption that since Alex is the guitar player, he's come up with most of the riffs for the band.

I used to think that - but take the beginning of Limelight - to most people it sounds like an Alex creation.

But he explained that they took that part from the section when him and Geddy are riffing before the vocals.

Look I'm sure that in terms of riffs he contributed more than just the Freewill and Spirit of Radio riffs.

But I'd love to know for sure. Also, it's important to differentiate between an arpeggio and a riff.

He did lots of beautiful arpeggios (like the Limelight chorus) on changes that were probably written by Geddy

Well, i'm not a musician so I have no clue what you mean by arpeggios. But like I said before, there's really no way to know who came up with what musically. Unless you can find specific interviews about the writing of certian songs you've really got no way of knowing for sure.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 12 2012, 11:01 PM)
Well, i'm not a musician so I have no clue what you mean by arpeggios. But like I said before, there's really no way to know who came up with what musically. Unless you can find specific interviews about the writing of certian songs you've really got no way of knowing for sure.

If you are a fan of Rush you really should know what an arpeggio is. They're Lifeson's trademark.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 12 2012, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 12 2012, 11:01 PM)

If you are a fan of Rush you really should know what an arpeggio is. They're Lifeson's trademark.

I didn't know it was called anything. I just always thought of Alex's playing as my favorite guitar player ever doing what he does best. The OP mentioned the chorus to Limelight as an example, so at least I know the style they're talking about now.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 12 2012, 07:01 PM)

Yeah, I have no clue what that means either. I guess we are just 2 stupid people who have no clue about RUSH. If only we were smarter and condescending know-it-alls, maybe we'd have a clue. And all this time I thought that I was a pretty knowledgable RUSH fan. You probably thought the same about yourself. Good thing there are "people" who point out our ignorance. moon.gif

trink39.gif fellow non-condescending, non-know-it-all!

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 12 2012, 09:07 PM)

Yeah, I have no clue what that means either. I guess we are just 2 stupid people who have no clue about RUSH. If only we were smarter and condescending know-it-alls, maybe we'd have a clue. And all this time I thought that I was a pretty knowledgable RUSH fan. You probably thought the same about yourself. Good thing there are "people" who point out our ignorance. moon.gif

Well, i'm knowledgable about the music. Not what what their trademark sound is named or how it's played. I have no need to know every little thing about the band and it's members. All I need is the great music they've given me and will continue to give me.

The fact that i learned Alex's trademark is called arpeggio has in no way increased how much I like them. It's pretty much a non factor when it comes to that.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 12 2012, 11:13 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 12 2012, 09:07 PM)

Well, i'm knowledgable about the music. Not what what their trademark sound is named or how it's played. I have no need to know every little thing about the band and it's members. All I need is the great music they've given me and will continue to give me.

The fact that i learned Alex's trademark is called arpeggio has in no way increased how much I like them. It's pretty much a non factor when it comes to that.

Amen!

You do realize I was on your side on this, right?

trink39.gif

Too bad the other post came across as snobby...but if you are curious about it...

Arpeggio...playing a chord's notes one by one in succession instead of strumming them all at once. Handy to know when describing Alex's work, but not necessary of course. Just that saying "I love that arpeggio" is easier than saying "I really love when he plays those certain notes up and down".

This guy explains it pretty well, if you are interested. trink39.gif

I read (where, I can't recall) that Geddy is the more "melodic" writer and Alex is the "kick-ass" one. To me, that would indicate that Geddy tends to write the melodies, especially the ones that he sings and that Alex comes up with the atmospheric riffs and such. Alex has a harder edge to his stuff.

As to Alex's signature arpeggios, I think they add a special feel to Rush's music. In trying to learn Rush songs on the guitar, it helps to know his little tricks, picking the chord being one of them. But I also notice that he will change up a note or 2 (or more) just as you get accustomed to the pattern. Dammit. unsure.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 13 2012, 03:14 AM)
Too bad the other post came across as snobby...but if you are curious about it...

Arpeggio...playing a chord's notes one by one in succession instead of strumming them all at once. Handy to know when describing Alex's work, but not necessary of course. Just that saying "I love that arpeggio" is easier than saying "I really love when he plays those certain notes up and down".

This guy explains it pretty well, if you are interested. trink39.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2bwYihkj0Q

Well it wasn't snobby from you!

Thanks for explaining it. It's just funny that someone would say every RUSH fan should know that term.

Glad there are some reasonable people who don't act like just because someone may not know something, they are an idiot. And of all things, arpeggio? I have been a fan of RUSH since 90 and I have never heard the term in my life.

But again, thanks for the explanation and the sanity.

trink39.gif

I've also wondered who came up with which riff or chord progression. It's nearly impossible to know for sure since they typically both get writing credit for the music. One exception that comes to mind is YYZ. Alex does not have a writing credit so we know that Geddy came up with the main riff as well as the rest of it except for the Morse code part at the beginning.

If you listen to Alex and Geddy's solo albums you can get a better idea of what kind of songs they'd write on their own. I get the impression that Geddy writes more straight up riffs and Alex comes up with more of the odd time signature stuff.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when Alex and Geddy get together to write songs. I'd love to see their process.

I read an interview with Geddy where he made mention that Alex is so underrated when it comes to those Arpeggios. He is the King.

The think that makes Big Al stand out is Arpeggios of course and his playing as a rhythm guitar. I get sick of hearing stuff like "the reason Alex Lifeson isn't one of the greats is because he hasn't been innovative or created his own style" To that, I say BS. Alex has a style like no other. He comes out with the coolest riffs of any guitar player I've ever heard. EVH may have flashier solos but Alex can fill a song with long apregios that rock better than anyone.

Double Agent is a perfect Alex Lifeson classic song. I would say to someone if they really wanted to hear what Alex is all about and what makes him rock, listen to that one

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 12 2012, 08:35 PM)
QUOTE (RoyFan @ Feb 12 2012, 03:34 PM)

Alex recalled once that Geddy came up with the Closer To The Heart guitar intro.

I need to read this since I find it hard to believe.

Hey - here is a link to another mention of Geddy coming up with the Closer To The Heart intro..

In case you're wondering - I read Alex say it himself so I know it's true - It was a guitar player magazine interview I THINK - they sometimes put certain interviews online and then take them off..

I'll look for it

http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=1750

I don't know who develops most of the riffs as I imagine both Geddy and Alex generate ideas and a riff will morph to the final product.

After listening to some of the earliest Rush (Fancy Dancer, etc.) it sounded like Alex may have been the most advanced early on and I suspect most of the blues-influenced rock songs of the early albums were some of Alex's stongest contributions but it is still hard to say as that was the music of the day.

I doubt if Geddy wrote the opening blues guitar part to "The Way the Wind Blows" but he might have written the heavy riff following it.

In terms of chord progressions, jam sessions individually and combined will likely spark ideas for Geddy's melodies. In this area I'm sure both contribute about equally.

QUOTE (RoyFan @ Feb 12 2012, 03:51 PM)
I used to think that - but take the beginning of Limelight - to most people it sounds like an Alex creation.

But he explained that they took that part from the section when him and Geddy are riffing before the vocals.

Look I'm sure that in terms of riffs he contributed more than just the Freewill and Spirit of Radio riffs.

But I'd love to know for sure. Also, it's important to differentiate between an arpeggio and a riff.

He did lots of beautiful arpeggios (like the Limelight chorus) on changes that were probably written by Geddy

Arpeggios? I had those with capers and corn sauce the other night.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 13 2012, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (RoyFan @ Feb 12 2012, 03:51 PM)

But I'd love to know for sure.  Also, it's important to differentiate between an arpeggio and a riff.

Arpeggios? I had those with capers and corn sauce the other night.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Feb 13 2012, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Feb 13 2012, 01:28 PM)
Forgive me, but could someone point me to a good example of a Rush song that features Alex playing arpeggios? I probably would realize it instantly, but still.

Broone's Bane is an arpeggio smorgasbord.

Thank you very much! Yeah, I really love that. Now I know exactly what it is in other songs. Thanks again! smile.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 12 2012, 10:13 PM)
Well, i'm knowledgable about the music. Not what what their trademark sound is named or how it's played. I have no need to know every little thing about the band and it's members.

And so you came (and replied) willingly to a thread that is meant to discuss the bands trademark sounds and those "little things"? confused13.gif