The Owl reviews every Rush album

The Owl

My Review for 2112.

2112-most iconic rush until moving pictures came out. the lyrics are so good that it chokes me up sometimes.

Passage-great guitar riff. its about weed, I mean f**k yeah cool10.gif

Twilight-excellent song-craft. rush comes into their own in an accessible manner.

Lessons-one of my personal favorites. the lyrics and vibe are unbeatable.

Tears-the vibe here is different from the rest of most of their catalog so far but the guys at least are showing some versatility

Something-an essential rocker. should be played every tour.

Overall: 95/100. Quite simply a masterpiece; especially if you dig Tears.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without any further adue

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c9/Rush_2112.jpg/220px-Rush_2112.jpg

"2112"

- Track#1: 2112

(I. Overture)

What a kickoff, a synth sound (hey that's new!) that is instantly recognizable and will get any Rush fan into a tiff... The unisons at the beginning, the call and response, the amazing solo, the great riffs, the sense of build....etc I could go on about how fantastic the first minutes of this epic is, just stellar... and anything but meek

(II. Temples of Syrinx)

Taking off from the Overture, this leads into a great riff driven vocal section, I couldn't help but sing along here, Geddy is at top game, as is the Rest of the band..... Hold the Red Star high in hand...

(III. Discovery)

A great and quiet transition out of the intensity of the previous section, Alex's subtle guitar playing does give the essence to the story of the piece, it is beautiful, and as other quiet balladesk Rush pieces, does not overstay it's welcome.... the waterfall sound effects could have done with a bit of fading away however once the section started going, and during the vocals..

(IV. Presentation)

Another great transition out of the previous section, and once again props to Geddy for being able to convey different characters within the piece here..The harshness of the Priests, and the innocence of the Protagonist are represented very well... and all to Neils great lyrics. I love the musical call backs and the reprise of the Preist theme when it gets heavy, as well as the Overture repise during Alex's solo... very well done and played.

(V. The Oracle: The Dream)

A very melancholy start into a very good anthemic heavyness that leaves one stunned. Once again Geddy's singing helps highlight the grandiosness of the hard section, where once again we get shades the musical theme from Overture.... a bit short, but very impactful.

(VI. Soliloquy)

The transition out of Oracle is not as solid as it could be, but still works, and like the previous section gives a nice intro into some fantastic playing by every member of the band. The extended solo gives a very good sense of emotion that the protagonist is feeling here.... Epic.

(VII. Grand Finale)

Closing out here, we are kind of disconnected from the rest of the song, both musically and the ambiguous ending leaves a bit of lyrical disconnect, but everything else is phenominal.... Very technical playing, a great since of build towards the conclusion and a last face melting face, end what some could consider Rush's Best epic

Overall as far as true Rush epics go, this is hard to beat, most of the problems I had with the Band's epics on COS are gone, transitions are mostly solid, not perfect....yet, but solid.. and I feel like Im listening to the same piece of music throughout the whole of the song.... very well done, I cannot give this anything else but a

(10/10)

- Track #2: A Passage to Bangkok

cool10.gif

(9/10)

-Tra..... okay Ill expand.... Alex owns this song, I love the guitar tone, the riff is memorable, the solo is as always great. The lyrics, while uh, cool10.gif,........... are very good. I love this song, it is a great sing along, and a very solid rocker.

(9/10)

- Track #3: Twilight Zone

I can't understand while I don't personally like this song more than I do, or as much as some... It's not weak, not by a long shot... I just don't find it that memorable... The slowed tempo is a bit of a breath, one of the first on the album... The lyrics are cool. The layering is pretty damn good... on all fronts, but this song just dosen't have that staying power for me....but still

(8/10)

- Track #4: Lessons

A nice moment in the album for an acoustic led song would be very appropriate here, and this track does just that, and it works very nicely. Its a great mid album track and at a good length of Three and a half minutes... good ending solo by the way.

(8/10)

- Track #5: Tears

While this is an abrupt change of feel of the album so far, it does give a great example of the range of this Band... This song is beautiful, in terms of playing, singing, and writing. Its nice to hear a fully acoustic track that does not overstay it's welcome as Rivendell exemplified... love this track....

and oh yeah........MELLOTRONS!!!!!!!!!!FTW!

(8.5/10)

Track #6: Something for Nothing

Great transition out of tears to a great acoustic riff, with a great and noticeable bass groove. Matter of fact, love the bass throughout the song. Lyrically the song is great and it showcases the evergrowing ability of Neal as a songwriter. S4N is a great end to this album, not the strongest ending that IMO Rush has had (or for that matter will have), but a great end to a phenomenal album.

(8.5/10) (almost a 9 but not quite)

--------------------------------------Overall Opinions/Final Thoughts----------------------------------------------

2112 demonstrates throughout the course of the album why some recognize it as their best work, or among their best works.... Unlike FBN, and COS, you get the feel that this is the Band who are finally comfortable writing/playing/ and recording with one another, and therefore can from an album of this caliber. The small issues that I had and mentioned in the song reviews are but mere hiccups on my feelings on this album, which is one of my favorites of all time. The pacing and uniformity of the album is the best we have seen as of the first 4 albums, creating a solid package.

The title track/epic as I mentioned earlier did what Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth could not and make a cohesive, and flowing piece of music, which only a few other Rush songs can hold a candle to. The rest of the songs, albiet for a few bumps, keep that intensity and mood flowing, until the conclusion.... 2112 is a masterful achievement... and worthy of a score of

95/100

Edited by The Owl

I agree with this review the least so far. Lessons and Tears both get 8's?

2112 would get a solid 8.5/10 as I think it's their least impressive epic, but still a ton of awesomeness.

Bangkok and Twilight Zone would probably get 6/10, with Lessons getting a 3/10 and Tears a 3.5/10. Something For Nothing might get a 6/10 as well.

I never understood the love for this album. The title track is great, but the rest are so underwhelming. If they would've had another really strong track anchor the second side (ala Hemispheres with LVS), then it might rate higher as a whole.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Feb 27 2012, 02:32 PM)

2112 would get a solid 8.5/10 as I think it's their least impressive epic, but still a ton of awesomeness.

Bangkok and Twilight Zone would probably get 6/10, with Lessons getting a 3/10 and Tears a 3.5/10. Something For Nothing might get a 6/10 as well.

I never understood the love for this album. The title track is great, but the rest are so underwhelming. If they would've had another really strong track anchor the second side (ala Hemispheres with LVS), then it might rate higher as a whole.

Yikes!

I think in general this album is overrated - it's not a top 3 Rush album, but it's still pretty amazing.

And now I've heard 2 people trash Tears. Sure it's a ballad, but it's a really pretty Rush song, and...

...MELLOTRON!!! wub.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 28 2012, 12:35 AM)

Yikes!

I think in general this album is overrated - it's not a top 3 Rush album, but it's still pretty amazing.

And now I've heard 2 people trash Tears. Sure it's a ballad, but it's a really pretty Rush song, and...

...MELLOTRON!!! wub.gif

1022.gif mellotron 1022.gif

I like Tears...a lot.

WHile I appreciate the effort Owl and your insightful commentary, I feel you have been too generous with points...You have no room to show the improvements that are coming. Too high of a rating for these first albums in my opinion. I can understand the final grade for 2112....It is a genius album...

Like I said from the outset....the hard part of doing these reviews is balancing what you like vs trying to look at these songs in a somewhat objective way.... 2112 is my 4th favorite album, and unlike the previous albums Ive reviewed I had a harder time trying to see objectively and not dote on this album.....

I'll work harder on seeing things objectively on further reviews.

Great review Owl, I enjoyed reading the opinions of everyone thoughts on this album. In short, Side 1 has always been epic and is in a class all by itself. Something For Nothing IMHO was the strongest song on side 2 with Bagkok and Twilight not too far behind. I always enjoyed the guitar in lessons, I love the tempo of that song. I agree with Owl that Tears did show the wide range the band was capable off.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 28 2012, 01:35 AM)

Yikes!

...MELLOTRON!!! wub.gif

I agree that 2112 the album is overrated. And Bangkok and SFN are both better than the title track.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Feb 29 2012, 09:42 AM)

Yikes!

...MELLOTRON!!! wub.gif

I agree that 2112 the album is overrated. And Bangkok and SFN are both better than the title track.

that is incorrect.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 29 2012, 07:55 AM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Feb 29 2012, 09:42 AM)

Yikes!

...MELLOTRON!!! wub.gif

that is incorrect.

I disagree as well.

And yes, the album is overrated, but only because it's not the best of the best, but it's still an awesome album that I find no fault with. The only real fault for me is that side one and side two don't really seem to flow together incredibly well, like the way that say Hemispheres does (both including side long tracks), but every song is at least really good - most are great or better.

Farewell to Kings Review:

Title track-the prog Rush sound is developing. synths and nylon string guitars make this one stand out

Xanadu-arguably one of the best Rush songs. nuff said

Closer to the Heart-essential

Cinderella Man-great lyrics (by geddy lee) and great bass tone. Geddy owns this song

Madrigal-kind of unexpected. short and with an oblique tone

Cygnus 1-the beginning is groovy. but later starts to sound sloppy. Geddy also screetches a little too much on this more than any other Rush track. overall still good

Score: 95/100

-continues the tradition of 2112 and expands it. essential. dynamite first half, but kinda slacks in quality in the end of the second half

Hemispheres Review:

here's where it gets good

Cygnus 2-epic. opus. these are words with which i would describe this. all instruments and lyrics are top shelf.

circumstances-good theme. good song structure. if you can dig the voice, this is top Rush

the trees-top 10 Rush, hands down. the 10/8 and 5/8 sections are masterful

la villa-still has as much energy as in the 70's. i dare you to name a better Rush instrumental. enough said there too

overall: 100/100

this is a Rush album that you compare all others to

Permanent Waves Review

Spirit of the Radio-getting a little commercial here. instrumentals don't slack. alex's guitar tone is still intact. very famous song

freewill-the hits keep on coming. the solo section is pure orgasm for a Rush fan. i'll leave it at that

jacob's ladder-truly a feat of prog genius. no idea how Geddy does it live

entre nous-often overlooked. great lyrical development. the guitar in the bridge is amazing

different strings-kinda ruins the flow of the album. even though it is short, it is subpar to the rest of the album

natural science-successful at making a memorable epic with flow

overall 100/100

different strings can't ruin this collection of impressive songs

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Feb 29 2012, 12:56 PM)
Permanent Waves Review

Spirit of the Radio-getting a little commercial here. instrumentals don't slack. alex's guitar tone is still intact. very famous song

freewill-the hits keep on coming. the solo section is pure orgasm for a Rush fan. i'll leave it at that

jacob's ladder-truly a feat of prog genius. no idea how Geddy does it live

entre nous-often overlooked. great lyrical development. the guitar in the bridge is amazing

different strings-kinda ruins the flow of the album. even though it is short, it is subpar to the rest of the album

natural science-successful at making a memorable epic with flow

overall 100/100
different strings can't ruin this collection of impressive songs

PeW is arguably Rush's best album, so I'm with you on the 100/100. However, I like Different Strings. I think the lyrics and Geddy's vocals are really fantastic, and Alex's lead break is pitch perfect.