The Owl reviews every Rush album

The Owl

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2012, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Feb 19 2012, 03:10 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2012, 12:41 AM)
For example, take the four Rush albums I'm not that crazy about; VT, T4E, Presto and RTB - I'll take Rivendell over any song from any of those albums with the exception of 3 songs.

No personal offense - but this statement has pretty much negated any reason for me to read future posts from you.

rofl3.gif

Well, since this is the last time we'll ever talk. bekloppt.gif

tongue.gif

LOL - oh who am I kidding, I can't quit you goob!

QUOTE (eshine @ Feb 19 2012, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2012, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Feb 19 2012, 03:10 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2012, 12:41 AM)
For example, take the four Rush albums I'm not that crazy about; VT, T4E, Presto and RTB - I'll take Rivendell over any song from any of those albums with the exception of 3 songs.

No personal offense - but this statement has pretty much negated any reason for me to read future posts from you.

rofl3.gif

Well, since this is the last time we'll ever talk. bekloppt.gif

tongue.gif

LOL - oh who am I kidding, I can't quit you goob!

I can't help it if I'm irresistible. tongue.gif

meant to get this up yesterday, but here is review #3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fa/Rush_Caress_of_Steel.jpg/220px-Rush_Caress_of_Steel.jpg

Caress of Steel

- Track #1: Bastille Day

IMO probably the best opening track Rush has ever produced, the opening riff drives the song and opens the album in an amazing way. Lyrics are good, nice ditty about the French revolution. The solos are great, and the ending is just epic. Just a great song.

(8.5/10)

- Track #2: I think I'm Going Bald

What a way to kill momentum that the previous track, I don't dislike this song, but like most I find it as just a so-so song. The cheesy lyrics go without saying, the riff is good, but gets repetitive. With the progression the band is making on this album as a whole, this feels like the lower material of stuff from the first album. That being said, it's not all bad, it's standard contemporary rock radio material fair of the time.

(6/10)

-Track #3: Lakeside Park

Kind of a bit of an underrated track IMO, a short track that does what the previous couldn't do... nice middle album track that successfully moves the album along, great harmonies, great guitar tone. Not something that will show up in too many "Best song" lists, but it works.

(7.5/10) (almost an 8)

-Track #4: The Necromancer

(I. Into The Darkness)

Rush's first real foray into fully fledged prog, oh boy here we go...... let me get this out of the way first, I like many do not care too much for the spoken word part, It's kind of distracting, taking attention away from the suttle guitar working going on underneath, would have been good as liner notes (as with 2112). Other than that, this first section is great, the layering of guitars here is phenomenal.

(II.Under the Shadow)

Not bad, but not a seamless transition leads us into this heavier subsection. Very different from the first part this has some great solo material and some very good unisons, but other than the spoken word part, hardly feels like it's part of the same epic as Into The Darkness.

(III. Return of the Prince)

Another less than perfect transition brings me to my favorite part of The Necromancer, we see a return of BY-Tor (who is now the good guy? Ive never really understood that...lol) in the lyrics to a nice melodic and very exquisitely layered and great sounding ending to Rush's first true epic.

(8.5/10)

- Track 5: The Fountain of Lamneth

(I. In the Valley)

Very, very nice beginning, beautifully written played and sung. I love this intro. Some very good playing once the song gets going. Probably the best we've seen the boys done to date.

(II. Didacts and Narpets/III. No One at the Bridge)

Combining these parts because D&A is very short. Abrubt change into a very technical drum solo, feels a bit forced into the track, but is very good at the same time. Love the arpeggio riff driving on NOATB, and this section is excellently sung by Geddy here, giving the track some real emotion. I mean WOW, Geddy is just balls to the wall awesome here.

"SCREAM OUT DESPERATION BUT....NO ONE CARES TO HEAR"

(IV. Panacea)

Hey, a pretty fluid transition, from the intensity of the previous section, into a very great light acoustic and melodic and very beautiful part here. It has the Rivendell flavor from FBN, but unlike that track it is not overlong.

(V. Bacchus Plateau)

Great great transition to a heaver section, Alex's guitar drives this section with a great riff, and a great extended solo to lead back into the final section and into the ending of the track

(VI. The Fountain)

Ah, finally a reprise of something we've heard earlier in the track....you could almost not remember that all the previous subsections were part of the same track...lol This part is essentially "In the Valley" in reverse, but with the heavier part leading into the soft closing that we heard at the beginning... It's a great closing, and a great ending to a very good, but albiet slightly muddled epic.

(9/10)

---------------------------------------OVERALL REVIEW/FINAL THOUGHTS------------------------------------------

Let's get the negative out of the way first.... I like most of this album very, very much. And other than ITIGB it has Rush's best work up until that point. But this album's biggest fault is consistency, WOW is this a muddled album... Track to track this album sound very different, and lacks fluidity, even within the epics themselves. Like I said on a single track basis almost everything about this album is stellar, but listening to it as a whole can be construed as a bit sonically jarring to a listener.

Let's talk about the epic's, I really enjoyed them both, but like with the album as a whole the epics from sub-section to sub-section is slightly inconsistent as well. Transitions are abrupt and sudden at most times, but my biggest problem with the epics is that the subsections hardly feel like their all part of the same track... And other than the lyrics of the subsections, they can be so different from one another musically that you'll be hard pressed to tell that they are from the same piece of music. Unlike 2112, and the Cygnus duology, there are no reprises, overriding themes, nothing to connect the subsections to one another other than lyrically. Its a small gripe, but it has to be mentioned.

Caress of Steel feels like a transitional album, I get very few vibes of the Zeppelinesk contemporary (for the time) rock feel, and it is abundantly clear that Rush is coming into their own sound.. Neal Peart's writing is becoming delightfully more complex (and slightly pretentious, but what's prog with a bit of pretension? LOL), as is his drumming ability. I don't know why this album did so poorly, and almost killed their career, despite the inconsistency it is a very good album..

Overall Album Score: 80/100

I just got here, so I'm going to go back and start with your review of the first album.

My favs off the first album are the incredible "Here Again", which possibly tops my list of songs I'd love to hear the guys perform in concert. I also love "Before and After". I'd say the "least" song on the album is "Take A Friend", but even that one still kicks. "Working Man" is cool, but it's never been one that I go out of my way to listen to. I have to say though, the guys absolutely tore down the arena with the "WM" encore during the Time Machine tour. I swear Alex was doing impure, unnatural and illegal things to that guitar performing that song!

From "Fly By Night": I agree, "Anthem" really rocks that album open. "Beneath, Between & Behind" and "In The End" are favorites, but "Making Memories" is a real highlight for me. Love that song. "Bytor" is cool, but it's never done all that much for me. I do love the guitar growls though! For me, "Rivendell" wins the spot for "Least listened to song of all Rush songs". While I still include it on my own Rush compilations, I always place it last. Then, if I feel like listening to it, I do. Otherwise, it's a usual skip.

As for "Caress of Steel": I absolutely love "I Think I'm Going Bald"! It comes second to "No One At The Bridge" which I love and consider to be one of Rush's all-time best songs. I would love to hear Alex and Geddy do an acoustic version of the song live after Neil finishes his drum solo, like they used to do with "Resist". "NOATB" is one of Rush's most powerful songs with lyrics that really hit home. "The Necromancer" probably comes in at second place for "Least listened to Rush song". The narration absolutely kills the song. It's just so... well, childish. It's difficult to hear what is being said when my attention is centered on how stupid the slowed, drawn-out voice sounds. "Bacchus Plateau" is another highlight of the album for me. It's one that hardly anyone ever speaks of. Overall, I do like "The Fountain of Lamneth" in it's entirety, but I prefer to listen to it broken up on my compilation CDs.

Fun reading. Please keep up with these great reviews!

I think you're too kind to this album.

Bastille Day - While this is a GREAT song, I'd probably rate it a tad below your 8.5 - maybe a 7.5 or 8. It's a great song, with maybe the only negative being Geddy being a tad high pitched. Ah, maybe 8.5 is a fair number.

I Think I'm Going Bald - I think your 6 is FAR too generous. I'd give it maybe a 3. The "cheesy lyrics" to me absolutely kill the song. I find it unlistenable, even if the music outside the lyrics is good.

Lakeside Park - Your 7.5, almost an 8 is way too low. This song is a 10 for me. You say it won't show up in too many "best song" lists, but it would easily show up in mine! It's better than any song on FBN and an early classic. Criminally and inexplicably underrated. This song should have been a huge hit.

The Necromancer - while I share your dislike of the narration, for me it absolutely kills the song. There is definitely some great music in there, but the narration keeps me from EVER wanting to listen to the song or hear it again. I'd have to again give this a 3 just for the music, but even that seems generous given the fact I never want to listen to the song.

The Fountain of Lamneth - You gave this a 9, I'd probably give it a 9.5. I'm thinking that in general you're going to be a lot more generous in your reviews than I would. For example, there are some places in your review there you criticize this song, and yet you give it a 9. If I had as many criticisms of a Rush song, it wouldn't get higher than a 7. Their first big success at prog.

Overall, this is easily their weakest album from 1974-1987 because of two tracks that just don't work, including a really long song. Still, the other three songs are pretty great.

The only real problems I had with Fountain of Lamneth Goobs, were the transitions from section to section, and that there was no overriding musical theme linking the subsections, other than the beginning and the end...

All the subsections in and of themselves musically or lyrically I didn't have any problems with, which is why I rated it at a 9, if it had a better fluidity it would have gotten a 9.5 or a 10.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 20 2012, 06:44 PM)

Bastille Day - While this is a GREAT song, I'd probably rate it a tad below your 8.5 - maybe a 7.5 or 8. It's a great song, with maybe the only negative being Geddy being a tad high pitched. Ah, maybe 8.5 is a fair number.

I Think I'm Going Bald - I think your 6 is FAR too generous. I'd give it maybe a 3. The "cheesy lyrics" to me absolutely kill the song. I find it unlistenable, even if the music outside the lyrics is good.

Lakeside Park - Your 7.5, almost an 8 is way too low. This song is a 10 for me. You say it won't show up in too many "best song" lists, but it would easily show up in mine! It's better than any song on FBN and an early classic. Criminally and inexplicably underrated. This song should have been a huge hit.

The Necromancer - while I share your dislike of the narration, for me it absolutely kills the song. There is definitely some great music in there, but the narration keeps me from EVER wanting to listen to the song or hear it again. I'd have to again give this a 3 just for the music, but even that seems generous given the fact I never want to listen to the song.

The Fountain of Lamneth - You gave this a 9, I'd probably give it a 9.5. I'm thinking that in general you're going to be a lot more generous in your reviews than I would. For example, there are some places in your review there you criticize this song, and yet you give it a 9. If I had as many criticisms of a Rush song, it wouldn't get higher than a 7. Their first big success at prog.

Overall, this is easily their weakest album from 1974-1987 because of two tracks that just don't work, including a really long song. Still, the other three songs are pretty great.

wtf.gif

Caress of Steel is a top 5 album, certainly. Necromancer + Fountain of Lamneth are some of the greatest things Rush has ever put out. While the flow on CoS isn't perfect, no album until Hemispheres had perfect flow. And you can't argue with Geddy's screaming vocals, some of his best. To say that CoS is the weakest until 1987 is beyond explanation.

Rush > CoS? rofl3.gif

Signals > CoS? z7shysterical.gif

confused13.gif Haters gonna hate...

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 21 2012, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 20 2012, 06:44 PM)

Bastille Day - While this is a GREAT song, I'd probably rate it a tad below your 8.5 - maybe a 7.5 or 8.  It's a great song, with maybe the only negative being Geddy being a tad high pitched.  Ah, maybe 8.5 is a fair number.

I Think I'm Going Bald - I think your 6 is FAR too generous.  I'd give it maybe a 3.  The "cheesy lyrics" to me absolutely kill the song.  I find it unlistenable, even if the music outside the lyrics is good.

Lakeside Park - Your 7.5, almost an 8 is way too low.  This song is a 10 for me.  You say it won't show up in too many "best song" lists, but it would easily show up in mine!  It's better than any song on FBN and an early classic.  Criminally and inexplicably underrated.  This song should have been a huge hit.

The Necromancer - while I share your dislike of the narration, for me it absolutely kills the song.  There is definitely some great music in there, but the narration keeps me from EVER wanting to listen to the song or hear it again.  I'd have to again give this a 3 just for the music, but even that seems generous given the fact I never want to listen to the song.

The Fountain of Lamneth - You gave this a 9, I'd probably give it a 9.5.  I'm thinking that in general you're going to be a lot more generous in your reviews than I would.  For example, there are some places in your review there you criticize this song, and yet you give it a 9.  If I had as many criticisms of a Rush song, it wouldn't get higher than a 7.  Their first big success at prog.

Overall, this is easily their weakest album from 1974-1987 because of two tracks that just don't work, including a really long song.  Still, the other three songs are pretty great.

wtf.gif

Caress of Steel is a top 5 album, certainly. Necromancer + Fountain of Lamneth are some of the greatest things Rush has ever put out. While the flow on CoS isn't perfect, no album until Hemispheres had perfect flow. And you can't argue with Geddy's screaming vocals, some of his best. To say that CoS is the weakest until 1987 is beyond explanation.

Rush > CoS? rofl3.gif

Signals > CoS? z7shysterical.gif

confused13.gif Haters gonna hate...

Caress of Steel is still vintage Rush, and it has 3 GREAT songs, it's just that the two weak songs (especially since one of them is 12 and a half minutes) drops it down a bunch of notches.

I'd much rather listen to an album where I didn't have to skip 2/5ths of the album. It's simple math.

And laugh at their debut album if you must, but it's an awesome, fun, hard-rocking album with killer guitar. Signals is a perfect album all the way through - pure genius! yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif moon.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 22 2012, 12:19 AM)
Signals is a perfect album all the way through - pure genius! yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif moon.gif

You describe an album with a synth-driven song about the launch of a space shuttle as "perfect" and "genius"? unsure.gif

So the three travellers, men of Willowdale, take a journey into dark and forbidding musical lands and the result is pure magic to my ears...but it's no surprise in the increasingly commercial landscape of the mid 70s many weren't up to the challenge. You can criticize it all you like for lacking fluidity or jarring transitions but it's never boring at least. The album is like an epic soundtrack straight out of the land of Tolkien. Lifeson's playing is just amazing...again! Caress of Steel is a masterpiece! 10/10.

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 21 2012, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 22 2012, 12:19 AM)
Signals is a perfect album all the way through - pure genius! yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif  moon.gif

You describe an album with a synth-driven song about the launch of a space shuttle as "perfect" and "genius"? unsure.gif

Sorry you don't appreciate the brilliant song that is Countdown. confused13.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 21 2012, 11:44 PM)
So the three travellers, men of Willowdale, take a journey into dark and forbidding musical lands and the result is pure magic to my ears...but it's no surprise in the increasingly commercial landscape of the mid 70s many weren't up to the challenge. You can criticize it all you like for lacking fluidity or jarring transitions but it's never boring at least. The album is like an epic soundtrack straight out of the land of Tolkien. Lifeson's playing is just amazing...again! Caress of Steel is a masterpiece! 10/10.

If you stuck that narration for The Necromancer on the liner notes instead of having it IN THE SONG, the album would go from a 6/10 to maybe an 8.5/10 for me. That narration kills a full 12 1/2 minutes of the album for me. I just can't get past it. no.gif sad.gif

Then all we would have in terms of a deficit is the horrible lyrics on I Think I'm Going Bald. Still, it's 3/5ths of a masterpiece! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 22 2012, 02:17 AM)

If you stuck that narration for The Necromancer on the liner notes instead of having it IN THE SONG, the album would go from a 6/10 to maybe an 8.5/10 for me. That narration kills a full 12 1/2 minutes of the album for me. I just can't get past it. no.gif sad.gif

Then all we would have in terms of a deficit is the horrible lyrics on I Think I'm Going Bald. Still, it's 3/5ths of a masterpiece! trink39.gif

Take out the narration? You gotta be outa your mind! fing.gif tongue.gif It's part of the fun! Besides it only takes up what, a whopping minute and a half in total?

A masterpiece! 1022.gif 1287.gif

Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 22 2012, 12:33 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 22 2012, 02:17 AM)

Take out the narration? You gotta be outa your mind! fing.gif tongue.gif It's part of the fun! Besides it only takes up what, a whopping minute and a half in total?

A masterpiece! 1022.gif 1287.gif

Believe me, I wish the narration didn't kill the whole song for me. I wish the rap section of RTB didn't ruin THAT song for me.

One song I can look past sometimes is Cygnus X-1. I put up with the narration in that song, and the screaming at the end, but in all honestly I usually just skip the song entirely.

I sincerely wish it wasn't this way, that I could just ignore parts of a song I didn't like and enjoy the rest of the track, but I just can't. I can skip entire tracks, but fast forwarding through parts of songs just seems like a little too much work and it gets kind of ridiculous. That's like saying, you know what I love, The Necromancer from 1:38 to 4:21 and from 6:05 to 9:12 and from 10:18 to... I just made up those times, but you get the point - it gets kind of silly. I either like a song all the way through or I don't. If it's a MINOR quibble, that's one thing, but some things are make it or break it for me.

With the recent "Rush - Icon" release, Rush missed a great opportunity to re-record the narration for "Necromancer".

I think it would be cool to hear that narration as spoken by the likes of James Earl Jones (the voice of Darth Vader) or Morgan Freeman (God in "Bruce Almighty") who does narration on just about every other Hollywood film.

Either of them or maybe Dan Castellaneta doing the narration using his Homer Simpson voice.

Can you imagine that? Homer Simpson speaking, "As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travelers, men of Willow Dale, emerge from the forest shadow. Fording the River Dawn, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of the Necromancer. " (I've also always thought it would be really cool if in concert, Homer did the "spoken word" part of "Roll The Bones". Or Cartman from "South Park"!)

As for "I Think I'm Going Bald"; I can't help but think that some don't recognize the song for the sense of humor with which it was written. While many consider the song a joke, that's actually how the song was intended. Neil was sick and tired of listening to Alex worrying that he was going bald and so alluded to that lyrically. Musically, the song rocks.

QUOTE (Geddyleegenes @ Feb 22 2012, 09:05 AM)
As for "I Think I'm Going Bald"; I can't help but think that some don't recognize the song for the sense of humor with which it was written. While many consider the song a joke, that's actually how the song was intended. Neil was sick and tired of listening to Alex worrying that he was going bald and so alluded to that lyrically. Musically, the song rocks.

I think most people who dislike the song, like me, realize it's a joke. The question is, is it funny? wink.gif

No, seriously though, the question is, does it belong in a Rush song? For me it's a huge no. I can appreciate a good sense of humor at least as much as the next person, but I don't want to hear a joke song by a band as talented as Rush. It just doesn't work. It's way too goofy.

Interesting reviews so far.

As far as CoS goes, I'm Ok with side 1...even I Think I'm Going Bald, which I've always taken as the humorous song it's intended to be. Side 2 is where it goes off the rails...it's pretentious, muddled, pointless.

I always thought The Necromancer would've been great without the silly spoken word parts, so a couple of years ago I used our fancy-schmancy audio editing software at work to create a version without it. Much better.

Fountain of Lamneth has some promising parts, but that's the problem...it's just a good bit here and a good bit there, but as a cohesive whole its unfocused & boring.

As I sort of said before - very interesting reviews!

Regarding CoS I agree with the Bastille Day comments. I think I'm Going Bald I also sort of agree with. Lakeside Park I think you have underrated - think its better than you give it credit for being.

With regards to the last 2 songs, I will say that your reviews and the other comments are making me think about them a bit. Have never liked either song one bit but I am wondering if the spoken section in Necromancer sort of sinks the song and the bad feelings just carry over to The Fountain of Lamneth. One of these days when I am feeling brave I will try and go back and listen to just Fountain and / or listen to the album except for Necromancer.

Looking forward big time to the next review. Great reading!!

My (unusual) opinions on COS...

The silliness (mixed with poignancy) of ITIGB works for me. Okay, so Geddy's "YEAUUUH!" after "I'll still be gray my way" is a little eyeroll-inducing, but with a smile. What I love is that they had insight into the complexities of life as young guys that most people don't have until they're older. I would say LSP and Fountain bear this out as well.

Lakeside Park is the one that doesn't work as well for me, because (and I can't even put a finger on why) Geddy's voice sounds weird. I think it would also hit home more if I was involved with the traditions of which it speaks, though it does give me some of the feel of what those would have been like.

The spoken parts of The Necromancer only bother me in that they're somewhat muddled and very tough to make out. If they were cleaner, I wouldn't mind them at all. I know, I'm weird tongue.gif

The "disjointedness" of the sections of Necromancer and Fountain also don't bother me...in fact, I kind of like them, and all their different musical styles. In Necromancer, it serves to make the scene where the prisoners get out of the labyrinth purely joyful in contrast to the rest of the song.

Similarly with Fountain, the up-and-down, back-and-forth nature of the music is a perfect underscore of the peaks and valleys of the life stages it's a metaphor for. This song helped me greatly with my grief over a number of deaths this winter; it said to me that the tumultous feelings I had in thinking about these individuals' lives (and my own) were normal, and that someone understood.

But I dig drama, so take that into account tongue.gif

Here's something I think many of us will agree on - is "Power isn't all that money buys" not one of the coolest lines ever?