The Owl reviews every Rush album

The Owl

Here we are now, in the leadup to yet another studio album.... and I in the lead up bring you my review of every Rush album, track by track. (Stealing this Idea from Treeduck who did this in the leadup to Snakes and Arrows, gotta give credit where credit is due.) And I hope you might join me in my capade. Hopefully I time my reviews right to when I am done with the S&A review, CWA's release is a week or two away by then.

I am gonna shoot for one or two reviews a week, but once we get a release date for Clockwork Angels I can do a bit more solid of a schedule....

P.S And stating here in the first post, I am going to try and be as objective as possible in these reviews, and in the ratings, but my results will largely reflect my own personal tastes and biases, as is the case with any review.

P.P.S Just for the record these are the versions of the CD's I am using..

2.gif - Moving Pictures = Rush Sector Box Set versions

Signals - Hold Your Fire = 97 masters versuibs

Presto- CWA = Original CD release versions

So without further adieu .., let us begin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/92/Rush_self_titled.jpg/220px-Rush_self_titled.jpg

2.gif / Self-Titled Debut

- Track 1: Finding My Way

Lets get this out of the way at the start, uninspired lyrics completely overshadowed by stellar music. This song is not only a great note to start an album up, with the build at the start, but it is also an amazing way to open up a career.

(7.5/10)

- Track 2: Need Some Love

Simple short track, but good.. moves the album along and dosen't get stale, and some really good drumming by Mr. John Rutsey

(7/10)

-Track 3. Take a Friend

Love the build on this track as well. The main riff and melody is great, but unlike the previous track it does kind of run on a bit long at the end...

(6.5/10)

- Track 4: Here Again

Probably my favorite track on the album, This song is just stellar, Geddy's voice at some point on this album are very high, but here it feels balanced, the solos are great, and this track by far has the best lyrics on the album.

(9/10)

- Track 5: What You're Doing

I was gonna wait till the album summary/final thoughts part of the review to draw comparisons to Led Zeppelin, but you can't ignore it in this song. It the Zeppelinesk feel to this song a bad thing? Not really.... It's another good driving rock song IMO, and you can leave it at that.

(6.5/10)

- Track 6: In The Mood

MORE COWBELL!..... The same thing I've said about several of the tracks already can be applied here.... Good rocker, and not the best of lyrics... but in this case I can find some humor in them.... Geddy just want's him some.

(6/10)

- Track 7: Before and After

This song almost had me, the first 2:30 are phenomenal, but after that it goes back to sounding like the rest of the album, not necessarily bad, but just redundant. The muisic is overall better than some of the other tracks on the album, to the point I think the lyrics could have been left out of the track altogether, and would have been better as an instrumental.

(7.5/10)

- Track 8: Working Man

What more can be said about this song other than awesome, from the opening riff to the dynamic ending, just 7 minutes of epicocity. (Who's mayor has been missing on air waves). And we have to face it, if this track was never recorded, where would Rush be now? While this track musically feels like alot of the other tracks, It varies and is much more dynamic. The lyrics while (again) not the best are very relateable and moves the song along nicley..

(9/10)

---------------------------Overall and Final Thoughts-------------------------

The Debut album is very much a matter of debate amongst Rush fans, while the album may not hold a candle to what was to come, you cannot deny that the album is a strong first statement from the (at the time) young Canadian band.....The album is not without it's faults either, the music at times can get repetitive and stale, and the lyrical direction is less than inspired most of the time.

I avoided this in the song reviews, but you cannot deny the Zeppelin comparisons that many have drawn in regards to this album, the influence Zeppelin has made on this album cannot be ignored, at times Alex Lifeson's guitar reeks (not in a bad way per-say) of Jimmy Page, and John Rutsey's drumming of Bonzo. I'm not calling the album a rip-off or anything , but the style is there.

And Speaking of John Rutsey, you can't criticize the guy at all, he did his job, and did it well, but hindsight is a 20/20 bitch, and knowing what was coming up, and what Mr.Peart would bring to the band, even his playing of the songs from the first album, it's hard not draw comparisons between Peart and Rutsey, and while it might not be fair to Rutsey it still has to be mentioned..

Overall Album Score:

7 out of 10

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd definitely rate the debut album at least an 8.5 - a truly excellent underrated album. The only fault for me is some of the lyrics, but even those are undervalued - no, they're not Neil Peart, but they're damn fun and enjoyable. It's really one hell of a hard rocking classic. I'm glad you didn't throw it under the bus as many do.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 12 2012, 10:28 AM)
I'd definitely rate the debut album at least an 8.5 - a truly excellent underrated album.  The only fault for me is some of the lyrics, but even those are undervalued - no, they're not Neil Peart, but they're damn fun and enjoyable.  It's really one hell of a hard rocking classic.  I'm glad you didn't throw it under the bus as many do.

I didn't feel like it was an album to throw under the bus, it's a good album...

You didn't see yourself referenced in the review somewhere did you? lol

Edited by The Owl

I think your ratings for the debut are spot on from what I would rate as well.

7 out of 10 overall and you have the tunes rated more or less what I would do as well (Here Again and Working Man would be ranked highest, and Take A Friend, Need Some Love, and In The Mood the lowest). The only change I would have done would be to give What You're Doing some more points. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 12 2012, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 12 2012, 12:35 PM)
Nice to see all the love for Here Again.  A truly great early Rush classic. yes.gif 1022.gif

I wouldn't mind if that song was 17 minutes of that guitar solo wub.gif

+1

Thanks for the feeback... gonna try and do Fly By Night on Thursday...

For the overall Review I might actually go to a 100 point scale starting with FBN.....

If I were to rate the debut out of 100 it would be at about a 72

And Treeduck, I tried to search for your original thread where you did the same thing, and insipired this thread... (and by inspired I meant I ripped it off...lol) but couldn't find it... reposting those here would be cool as well.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 12 2012, 09:29 AM)

The Debut album is very much a matter of debate amongst Rush fans,  while the album may not hold a candle to what was to come, you cannot deny that the album is a strong first statement from the (at the time) young Canadian band.....The album is not without it's faults either, the music at times can get repetitive and stale, and the lyrical direction is less than inspired most of the time.

I think it more than holds its own against at least half of the entire Rush discography. It's pretty much faultless to my ears and sensibilties. I don't find it stale at all but fresh, fun and invigorating. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the generally positive review. It's quite a refreshing change.

I'm simply addicted to its raw explosive energy. Lerxst's playing on here just smokes! And with Geddy screeching for all he's worth and Rutsey kickin' ass on the drum kit, what's not to love? I'd give a 10 to Working Man, Finding My Way, What You're Doing, Before & After...hell I love em all! A stone cold pure heavy rock classic from the dazed and confused '70s. And yes, it must be said, better than anything Van Halen ever did.

10/10 in my book

"I just want to rock & roll you, woman, until the night is done!" 1022.gif cool10.gif 2.gif cool.gif 1022.gif

A moment of silence for John Rutsey... rose.gif

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Feb 12 2012, 11:39 AM)
........ I do find Working Man to be a low point though...it just never did anything for me..............

And I'm the exact opposite....I've totally dug Working Man since I first heard it. Ah, "wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same?"

Good review. 7 seems about right to me too though I'd likely bump Finding My Way another half point up to an 8.

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Feb 13 2012, 02:48 AM)
And I'm the exact opposite....I've totally dug Working Man since I first heard it. Ah, "wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same?"

It's not a horrible song, but if I had a choice to hear any song off the album live, it'd be dead last (or tied for last with Finding My Way, another one I find unremarkable).

The riff at 3:13 of Working Man is completely awesome though.

good reviews. I don't think I could give unbiased reviews of albums I've been listening to for 25-35 years. I would probably rate everything a bit higher than they are supposed to be. I'd be better off rating the Rush albums from Presto-Now. My reviews of the debut to MP would be fanboy-mania and people would probably think I was insanely obsessed with Rush or something. Edited by Bastille Dave

My boyfriend and I were just listening to this album yesterday, and when Here Again came on, I remarked that you could tell they were going somewhere with that one. So many other songs on the album are just fun...which is also a big part of their personalities to this day.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 13 2012, 01:03 AM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Feb 13 2012, 02:48 AM)
"wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same?"

You dig Savoy Brown?

Sorta.....always liked the sentiment in that song.....any blues based rock is good to my ears. Saw them about 6 or so years ago. Wishbone Ash opened. 800 seat theater. Damned good show. Good crowd that night which always makes for a better performance.