Which other subjects would Neil write about..

GeminiRising79

Your post made me realize that I think Freewill is agnostic while newer material does indeed sound more atheist than agnostic. Unlike Neil, the older I get the less sure I am about things like this not more sure. Strange, but his experiences color his feelings. I'm sure he feels that what him and his family have endured are "unfair" in the grand scheme.

I'd love to hear Neil write about the intricacies involved in being a member of Rush through the years. The trials and tribulations of touring, recording. The deep depths and soaring elation that was intertwined with their experiences. Loneliness, being forced out of your shell, those special moments with the "lowly", but humble-eyed loving fan, etc. Can Neil ever write caringly and positively about his fans? This would be the greatest time to.

Sorry if I'm rambling....I'm off to the gym! Regards,

Kurt

Hmm, I dunno. He spent a great number of albums and years not writing about religion. Seems to me that, for everyone one song Neil has written about religion, there's probably 10 songs not about religion.

Meanwhile, may I direct you to this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_rock_bands

You'll find listed in there several bands who are single-minded, one-track "crusaders" without much to talk about except their pet project.

In conclusion, I'd prefer that all artists, religious or otherwise, write what they know, feel and think, rather than censor themselves and bend to the pressures that some pissy fans, or non-fans, contribute because they don't know how to co-exist in a world with other points of view.

Edited by New World Kid

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Feb 7 2012, 05:25 AM)
Hmm, I dunno. He spent a great number of albums and years not writing about religion. Seems to me that, for everyone one song Neil has written about religion, there's probably 10 songs not about religion.

That's a point I've been tying to drive into certain people's thick skulls for quite a while now. They've got something like 160 songs in their catalog, and less than 10 have anything vaguely to do with religion - and only 3 or 4 of those are overtly about religion. But because several of them came in the last decade, some thin skinned people have their panties in a wad about it - they can't just listen to the other 150 songs and be happy, they have to be all pissy over the 1% they don't agree with.

Kate Bush wrote a great song called "Mrs. Bartolozzi" and the subject matter is about a woman and her washing machine. Sounds mundane, but the song is beautiful because of the story behind the lyrics.

Maybe Neil could do something just as good.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 7 2012, 09:52 AM)

That's a point I've been tying to drive into certain people's thick skulls for quite a while now. They've got something like 160 songs in their catalog, and less than 10 have anything vaguely to do with religion - and only 3 or 4 of those are overtly about religion. But because several of them came in the last decade, some thin skinned people have their panties in a wad about it - they can't just listen to the other 150 songs and be happy, they have to be all pissy over the 1% they don't agree with.

Daniel, once again, you miss the mark. Also sounds like you need a bigger tampon.

Edited by GeminiRising79

I thought "Ghost Rider" started out as a good book, but once the motorcycle journey started, it seemed less of a journey than a collection of passing thoughts, which is not bad but it became monotonous with over use.

Neil is a great lyricist, but not that great of an author.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 7 2012, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 7 2012, 09:52 AM)

Daniel, once again, you miss the mark. Also sounds like you need a bigger tampon.

Aren't you the one that bitches about people not responding using thought-out arguments and logic?

The numbers don't lie, though I admit to rounding them off in my example. If you like, I can take the time to actually count the few songs that actually deal with religion. But I don't think you'd like the result because it decimates every single rant you post in this place.

Tampon talk, lovely

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Feb 7 2012, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 7 2012, 11:57 AM)
Tampon talk, lovely

Why would you expect anything more?

I have No idea laugh.gif