Dallas Cowboys

Monte Kiffin is heading back to the NFL as ESPN's Ed Werder reports the legendary defensive coach reached an agreement on Friday to become the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys.

Kiffin, who turns 73 next month, coached in the National Football League from 1983 until joining his son Lane Kiffin at the University of Tennessee in 2009. Kiffin has spent the last three season as the defensive coordinator/assistant head coach on Lane Kiffin's staff at the University of Southern California before announcing his resignation and a desire to return to the NFL in late November.

Earlier this week, the Cowboys fired Rob Ryan after two seasons with the club. Kiffin was brought in less than 48 hours after Ryan's dismissal, meeting with owner Jerry Jones and head coach Jason Garrett on Thursday.

Under Kiffin, the Cowboys will move back to a 4-3/Cover-2 defense after running a 3-4 system since the 2005 season. Kiffin is an architect of the "Tampa 2" defense, named after his 13 seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. During his tenure with the Buccaneers, Kiffin's defenses ranked in the Top 10 in 11 of 13 seasons and the system helped make stars out of defensive tackle Warren Sapp, defensive end Simeon Rice, linebacker Derrick Brooks, safety John Lynch and current Buccaneers cornerback Ronde Barber. In 2002, the Buccaneers defense led the NFL in total defense, scoring defense and posted a league-high 31 interceptions on their way to a win over the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII.

http://sports.yahoo....14194--nfl.html

What do Boys fans think of this move? :hail:

Kiffen is so old that when he was born the Dead Sea was just sick. But If Kiffen still has it, and I think he does, this is a brilliant move. Some say that we don't have the CB's for a cover-two, but Kiffen can adapt the scheme to the players.

Also look for a OC to be added. And as to Romo needing to be gone, who the hell are we going to replace him with? He played half the game at DC with a broken rib. Give the guy a break.

There's always a trade for Michael Vick...

:dweez:

As a Cowboys fan are you worried about the possibilities of the new Andy Reid-free Eagles? :d13:

Andy Ried is an awsome head coach. He's done more with less than anyone in the business for a very long time. I'm estatic to see him out of the NFC Beast. I'm also glad to see him go to KC, whom being the former Dallas Texans, have always been my favorite AFC team. Three years tops till Reid gets them to the playoffs, probably two. Hide and watch.

Yeah I think Reid has a good core of players in KC and he has a first round draft pick. If i were him I wouldn't bring Vick over but I wouldn't draft Geno smith either. I'd take a blue chip player in round one and then take the best QB available at the top of the second round or even the third round.

Monte Kiffin is heading back to the NFL as ESPN's Ed Werder reports the legendary defensive coach reached an agreement on Friday to become the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys.

Kiffin, who turns 73 next month, coached in the National Football League from 1983 until joining his son Lane Kiffin at the University of Tennessee in 2009. Kiffin has spent the last three season as the defensive coordinator/assistant head coach on Lane Kiffin's staff at the University of Southern California before announcing his resignation and a desire to return to the NFL in late November.

Earlier this week, the Cowboys fired Rob Ryan after two seasons with the club. Kiffin was brought in less than 48 hours after Ryan's dismissal, meeting with owner Jerry Jones and head coach Jason Garrett on Thursday.

Under Kiffin, the Cowboys will move back to a 4-3/Cover-2 defense after running a 3-4 system since the 2005 season. Kiffin is an architect of the "Tampa 2" defense, named after his 13 seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. During his tenure with the Buccaneers, Kiffin's defenses ranked in the Top 10 in 11 of 13 seasons and the system helped make stars out of defensive tackle Warren Sapp, defensive end Simeon Rice, linebacker Derrick Brooks, safety John Lynch and current Buccaneers cornerback Ronde Barber. In 2002, the Buccaneers defense led the NFL in total defense, scoring defense and posted a league-high 31 interceptions on their way to a win over the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII.

This looks like a Jerry move and not a Garrett move. I would give Garrett one more year because the team never quit on him. Too bad he doesn't have enough control to pick his own coaching staff..............

Jerry has officially morped into Al Davis.

What do you think of Chip Kelly getting the job in Philly?

Kiffen is so old that when he was born the Dead Sea was just sick. But If Kiffen still has it, and I think he does, this is a brilliant move. Some say that we don't have the CB's for a cover-two, but Kiffen can adapt the scheme to the players.

Also look for a OC to be added. And as to Romo needing to be gone, who the hell are we going to replace him with? He played half the game at DC with a broken rib. Give the guy a break.

There's always a trade for Michael Vick...

:dweez:

As a Cowboys fan are you worried about the possibilities of the new Andy Reid-free Eagles? :d13:

Andy Ried is an awsome head coach. He's done more with less than anyone in the business for a very long time. I'm estatic to see him out of the NFC Beast. I'm also glad to see him go to KC, whom being the former Dallas Texans, have always been my favorite AFC team. Three years tops till Reid gets them to the playoffs, probably two. Hide and watch.

Yeah I think Reid has a good core of players in KC and he has a first round draft pick. If i were him I wouldn't bring Vick over but I wouldn't draft Geno smith either. I'd take a blue chip player in round one and then take the best QB available at the top of the second round or even the third round.

I would be amazed if he brought Vick in. Your thinking is sound. build the core and put together a team the right way. The way the 'Boys did it starting in '89, and stopped doing in '95.

This looks like a Jerry move and not a Garrett move. I would give Garrett one more year because the team never quit on him. Too bad he doesn't have enough control to pick his own coaching staff..............

Jerry has officially morped into Al Davis.

What do you think of Chip Kelly getting the job in Philly?

I think he'll have to find a quarterback or change his offensive system. At some point, the defenses will adjust to the college/pistol offense. Probably within two years. Also, the shelf life of these quarterbacks can't be very long.

Jerry Jones needs to fire himself! :joker:

Only God can do that.

Or a sniper fan who finally snaps! :bang bang:

Are you glad to see Rob Ryan gone? And to New Orleans? :o :unsure: :blink: :wacko: :cheerleader: :(

Only God can do that.

Are you glad to see Rob Ryan gone? And to New Orleans? :o :unsure: :blink: :wacko: :cheerleader: :(

What? He landed in NO?

Only God can do that.

Only God can do that.

What? He landed in NO?

Yeah did you not know? :huh:

Only God can do that.

Only God can do that.

What? He landed in NO?

Having a big sale at work. Not sure it's a great move, but we'll see. Synergy between coordinator and personnel is a tricky thing.

I actually like to root for NO, but only when they're struggling. ;)

Only God can do that.

Only God can do that.

What? He landed in NO?

Having a big sale at work. Not sure it's a great move, but we'll see. Synergy between coordinator and personnel is a tricky thing.

I actually like to root for NO, but only when they're struggling. ;)

Well hopefully the Saints won't need you rooting for them for a good few years to come... :hail:

What is with all the Saints talk on this Cowboys thread??!!

It's the Cowboys. Everyone has a position on the Cowboys. Love em, hate em, whatever. The Cowboys are the stick against which fans of other teams measure themselves. You will never see more fans of other teams in a thread about a team that is not the Cowboys.

Did I word that confusingly enough? LOL.

Sensabaugh probably did not want to re-negotiate his contract. He could still be re-signed at a lower price. Spencer had a career year with a contract up, and he could be trade bait. We'll see.

Punxsutawney Jerry saw his shadow, and signed Tony Romo to a new deal.

Six more years of no playoff wins.

$108 million, $55 million GUARANTEED.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Punxsutawney Jerry saw his shadow, and signed Tony Romo to a new deal.

Six more years of no playoff wins.

$108 million, $55 million GUARANTEED.

Fattest contract in Cowboy history. Hope we have an all O line draft. We might hit on one.

I am a true blue Cowboys fan, so a little biased, but I just do not get all the Romo hate out there, especially amongst so called Cowboys fans. Everyone likes to blame Tony for all the Cowboys problems. He has made some really bad mistakes, but more often than not he has carried the team on his back. I personally think he is a great quarterback. He has been hampered by crap all around him. If anyone actually watched the games last year (I watched every single one including pre-season), they would know that he was running for his life all the time and still managed to win some games and make plays. His season will be remembered by the last interception against Washington, but he was the reason they were still in the hunt at that time.