Dallas Cowboys

I guess my only point is that many other teams sign thugs and punks - the Bengals being one. So you better be sick of a large part of the NFL.

The NFL is changing in many ways I'd be surprised if this subject doesn't change as well. There is glwoing light much brighter these days.

Jerry Jones’s daughter defends Greg Hardy signing

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 22, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT

charlottejonesanderson.jpeg?w=250

Charlotte Jones Anderson, the daughter of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and the team’s Executive Vice President/Chief Brand Officer, is defending the signing of Greg Hardy, who missed all but one game of last season after a domestic violence accusation.

Anderson, who serves on the Conduct Committee that the NFL started in response to the domestic violence issues that plagued the league, told the Dallas Morning News that the Cowboys are doing the right thing by giving Hardy a second chance.

“A lot of people say this is awful, but they don’t know what to do,’’ Anderson said. “That’s why this is such an incredible opportunity. That’s why I’m not afraid of this move. I’m a mom. I’ve got a daughter, I’ve got two sons. This is a serious issue for me, personally. I want my kids to know that domestic violence is not acceptable. But I also want them to know that if they make a mistake, no matter what the issue is, I’m not just going to throw them out. I’ve got to help them come back and make a better choice. This is an opportunity to really make a significant impact. This is very powerful and it’s very important, and important for me personally. I think you will look back and you will say this is the right move for the Cowboys.’’

For the Cowboys on the field, there’s little doubt that adding a great pass rusher like Hardy will turn out to be a good move. For now, the Cowboys are insisting publicly that they’re doing the right thing off the field as well. But the Cowboys are taking a public relations hit that could turn into a disaster if Hardy finds himself on the wrong side of the law again.

OK. This is just... dumb. The "Branding Officer," the person who says it's ok to put the Star on just about ANYFUCKINGTHING, of the Dallas Cowboys is defending the signing of Greg Hardy. Ok... whatever. You kinda proved my point that his character is not important in this deal. BUT... this point is important:

"But the Cowboys are taking a public relations hit that could turn into a disaster if Hardy finds himself on the wrong side of the law again."

A punk is a punk. Mark my words: he will do something stupid that will land him in trouble on or off the field. In a bad way.

Charlotte Jones Anderson, the daughter of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and the team’s Executive Vice President/Chief Brand Officer, is defending the signing of Greg Hardy, who missed all but one game of last season after a domestic violence accusation.

Anderson, who serves on the Conduct Committee that the NFL started in response to the domestic violence issues that plagued the league, told the Dallas Morning News that the Cowboys are doing the right thing by giving Hardy a second chance.

“A lot of people say this is awful, but they don’t know what to do,’’ Anderson said. “That’s why this is such an incredible opportunity. That’s why I’m not afraid of this move. I’m a mom. I’ve got a daughter, I’ve got two sons. This is a serious issue for me, personally. I want my kids to know that domestic violence is not acceptable. But I also want them to know that if they make a mistake, no matter what the issue is, I’m not just going to throw them out. I’ve got to help them come back and make a better choice. This is an opportunity to really make a significant impact. This is very powerful and it’s very important, and important for me personally. I think you will look back and you will say this is the right move for the Cowboys.’’

For the Cowboys on the field, there’s little doubt that adding a great pass rusher like Hardy will turn out to be a good move. For now, the Cowboys are insisting publicly that they’re doing the right thing off the field as well. But the Cowboys are taking a public relations hit that could turn into a disaster if Hardy finds himself on the wrong side of the law again.

OK. This is just... dumb. The "Branding Officer," the person who says it's ok to put the Star on just about ANYFUCKINGTHING, of the Dallas Cowboys is defending the signing of Greg Hardy. Ok... whatever. You kinda proved my point that his character is not important in this deal. BUT... this point is important:

"But the Cowboys are taking a public relations hit that could turn into a disaster if Hardy finds himself on the wrong side of the law again."

A punk is a punk. Mark my words: he will do something stupid that will land him in trouble on or off the field. In a bad way.

Given his track record all the way back to college, you're probably going to be right. He was a first round talent. A no brainer first round guy and slid all the way down to the sixth round because of his character. One of the scouts when he was drafted described him as a space cadet. :LOL:

Given his track record all the way back to college, you're probably going to be right. He was a first round talent. A no brainer first round guy and slid all the way down to the sixth round because of his character. One of the scouts when he was drafted described him as a space cadet. :LOL:

Fantastic. :facepalm:

I have a bad feeling the Hardy thing will end badly.

So what is the Cowboy plan for loosing DeMarco Murray, the draft?

RBs are plug and play. I do hope Jerruh tries to sign AD and gives him big money.

RBs are plug and play. I do hope Jerruh tries to sign AD and gives him big money.

I've been hearing that for a few seasons I'm not so sure it's true. If the offensive line is total garbage nothing works but a stand out RB still has a place. We'll see what the Eagles do with DM.

As for Peterson he's not helping his trade value.

I've been hearing that for a few seasons I'm not so sure it's true. If the offensive line is total garbage nothing works but a stand out RB still has a place. We'll see what the Eagles do with DM.

As for Peterson he's not helping his trade value.

For some reason, I get the feeling that he may well just become a Cowboy on a re-worked deal.

Not defending Hardy but the more you hear about this incident, the more questions it raises. I find it interesting that the NFL has not ruled on him yet. Do they not have a cut and dried case? This doesn't mean he isn't a punk. The Cowboys have all sorts of RB options in the draft - solid class this year.

Not defending Hardy but the more you hear about this incident, the more questions it raises. I find it interesting that the NFL has not ruled on him yet. Do they not have a cut and dried case? This doesn't mean he isn't a punk. The Cowboys have all sorts of RB options in the draft - solid class this year.

I think, because the girlfriend came to a settlement agreement (I'm not sure if that means she got money out the deal?) with Hardy out of court and stopped cooperating with prosecutors, thus prompting the prosecution to drop the charges, the direction of the NFL's decision changed in light of that. IMO, just because she agreed to settle the matter does not mean he didn't do something that requires more than a slap on the hand from the NFL. I'm guessing it does mean one of two things: 1) she got scared and came to the agreement with Hardy to avoid dragging it out and having to testify in a jury trial, or 2) she got a nice wad of cash to drop the whole thing. I'm leaning towards the latter. Which sucks.

Edit:

After reading another article, this would explain the delays, too:

The NFLPA filed a grievance against the unilateral implementation of the league’s new conduct policy, arguing it should have been collectively bargained. With that grievance not yet resolved, the league and union again could be at odds at each step in the Hardy case, just as they were at various points in the Adrian Peterson case, which provides perhaps the most instructive outline for the road ahead.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/02/09/prospects-for-greg-hardys-nfl-future-remain-unclear-after-charges-dismissed/

Edited by sullysue

I have a bad feeling the Hardy thing will end badly.

Not all running backs are the same. Murray will be hard to replace but he is replacable. We will still rush well because of our line but what about pass protection for Romo? The spirit in the locker room that Murray carried. Little things such as these aren't accomplished with every single running back off the street.
  • Like 2

I think, because the girlfriend came to a settlement agreement (I'm not sure if that means she got money out the deal?) with Hardy out of court and stopped cooperating with prosecutors, thus prompting the prosecution to drop the charges, the direction of the NFL's decision changed in light of that. IMO, just because she agreed to settle the matter does not mean he didn't do something that requires more than a slap on the hand from the NFL. I'm guessing it does mean one of two things: 1) she got scared and came to the agreement with Hardy to avoid dragging it out and having to testify in a jury trial, or 2) she got a nice wad of cash to drop the whole thing. I'm leaning towards the latter. Which sucks.

Edit:

After reading another article, this would explain the delays, too:

The NFLPA filed a grievance against the unilateral implementation of the league’s new conduct policy, arguing it should have been collectively bargained. With that grievance not yet resolved, the league and union again could be at odds at each step in the Hardy case, just as they were at various points in the Adrian Peterson case, which provides perhaps the most instructive outline for the road ahead.

http://www.washingto...rges-dismissed/

There's no doubt in my mind that it's number two. After her emotions died down she realized that she was about to send her meal ticket to jail. I'm certain that she got paid to shut up.

I really don't get the process. Being in Canada, we don't have the same thing. Apparently he was "convicted" in court, and the defense was not allowed to question witnesses etc? Am I not reading this correctly? So he appealed so that he could get an actual trial. I have read a lot of these articles and all I can say is that everyone involved including Hardy, the victim and witnesses seem to be very "sketchy" characters.

I ask: Is it possible, at all, that the Cowboys can sign someone this year who doesn't have a criminal record?

http://www.msn.com/e...deal/ar-AAajhZR

I give up. :facepalm:

It's all about the dubyas sully. This doesn't bother me like the Hardy deal. Plus, he was on the roster last year. There's gonna be a locker room full of criminals.

I ask: Is it possible, at all, that the Cowboys can sign someone this year who doesn't have a criminal record?

It's all about the dubyas sully. This doesn't bother me like the Hardy deal. Plus, he was on the roster last year. There's gonna be a locker room full of criminals.

I know, I know. And, I realize the McClain deal is short-term and probably with stipulations and blah blah blah.... I guess the good thing about the deal is that he'll make it easier for when they bring Sean Lee back in.

I know, I know. And, I realize the McClain deal is short-term and probably with stipulations and blah blah blah.... I guess the good thing about the deal is that he'll make it easier for when they bring Sean Lee back in.

They are going to move Sean Lee to the outside. He'll be better out there. Sadly, McClain is a better middle linebacker. If Sean Lee can stay healthy, he'll be a huge bonus for us. Hell of a player and a hell of a guy.

Agreed. Lee needs to take less battering. I get mixed up on the criminal records. Is McClain convicted? I know he has issues - he is definitely different - and he has had "run-ins" with the law, but has he been convicted? Substance abuse doesn't mean conviction. If that is the issue, then I and many others would probably not be up to the standards here.

Agreed. Lee needs to take less battering. I get mixed up on the criminal records. Is McClain convicted? I know he has issues - he is definitely different - and he has had "run-ins" with the law, but has he been convicted? Substance abuse doesn't mean conviction. If that is the issue, then I and many others would probably not be up to the standards here.

From his Wiki page:

On December 1, 2011, McClain was arrested by Decatur police and charged with third-degree assault, menacing, reckless endangerment, and discharging a firearm inside the city limits, all of which are misdemeanors, for a shooting incident that occurred the night before.[34][35] On May 17, 2012, McClain was found guilty on all counts, ordered to pay a $500 fine for each charge, totaling $2,000, and sentenced to spend 45 days in jail for each charge, 180 in total. He was freed on bond, and will begin serving his sentence on June 1.[36]

On November 18, 2012, while the case was on appeal, the charges were dismissed by the Judge after the victim decided not to press charges. According to lawyers involved, a financial settlement was reached between McClain and the victim.[37]

On January 8, 2013, He was arrested by Decatur Police in Morgan County after an officer pulled him over for a window tint violation. McClain provided the officer with a false name and he was arrested and booked into the Decatur City Jail. McClain bonded out of jail later that day.[38]

On April 21, 2013, McClain was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolando_McClain

And, then there is the issue of his violating the league's substance abuse policy for which he will be fined during the 2015 season, but I don't know what led to that.

As far as the circumstances of Hardy's conviction, he was found guilty of domestic abuse. But, he was allowed to appeal under North Carolina law, which he did. Because his accuser didn't show up in court, because of that "settlement," the charges had to be dropped. If she had shown up and testified for the trial, I bet his conviction would have held up.

• Like 1

From his Wiki page:

On December 1, 2011, McClain was arrested by Decatur police and charged with third-degree assault, menacing, reckless endangerment, and discharging a firearm inside the city limits, all of which are misdemeanors, for a shooting incident that occurred the night before.[34][35] On May 17, 2012, McClain was found guilty on all counts, ordered to pay a $500 fine for each charge, totaling $2,000, and sentenced to spend 45 days in jail for each charge, 180 in total. He was freed on bond, and will begin serving his sentence on June 1.[36]

On November 18, 2012, while the case was on appeal, the charges were dismissed by the Judge after the victim decided not to press charges. According to lawyers involved, a financial settlement was reached between McClain and the victim.[37]

On January 8, 2013, He was arrested by Decatur Police in Morgan County after an officer pulled him over for a window tint violation. McClain provided the officer with a false name and he was arrested and booked into the Decatur City Jail. McClain bonded out of jail later that day.[38]

On April 21, 2013, McClain was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

http://en.wikipedia....Rolando_McClain

And, then there is the issue of his violating the league's substance abuse policy for which he will be fined during the 2015 season, but I don't know what led to that.

As far as the circumstances of Hardy's conviction, he was found guilty of domestic abuse. But, he was allowed to appeal under North Carolina law, which he did. Because his accuser didn't show up in court, because of that "settlement," the charges had to be dropped. If she had shown up and testified for the trial, I bet his conviction would have held up.

Oh sully, now you're just nitpicking. :P

From his Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia....Rolando_McClain

Oh sully, now you're just nitpicking. :P

Probably. :LOL:

But, you get my point.

Hey, I'll jump in on this thread...

Been a Cowboy fan longer (since i knew what a football was) than i have been a RUSH fan (since i was about 14).

Grew up suburbs of Dallas (Garland, Richardson) and now live in NY Giant country, the South West corner of Connecticut.

Having read some of this thread, it is 38 pages long so I have not gone through it all, but I will just throw out where I stand with our 'Boys.

IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM do i think we should have broken the bank (or even matched what Philly gave) to keep Demarco, however i think we could have tried a little harder.

I can't imagine for real Jerry is going to be happy when McFadden, Dunbar, Randall, Williams or some rookie are taking handoffs and getting half a yard behind the rest of this offense (meaning the line, WRs, QB, TEs), and ALL the pressure goes right back on Romo's 36 year old shoulders and back...

Murray was SOOOOOOO much more than 1,800 yards rushing and 300 or so receiving to this team.

Murray was an EVERYDOWN EVERYSITUATION back, that is what made him even more dangerous, short yardage give to Murray, long yardage give to Murray, first down give to Murray, goal line give to Murray, screen pass to Murray.. Any time, any down, any situation....

With that said I HAVE to believe that there really is something to all the AD talk.

I will also say I was NEVER in favor of AD over Murray, however now that Murray is gone I am in favor of AD as long as the cost of acquiring him is not too high.

NO WAY would I spend a first round pick to get him, I would be ok with two mid round picks... like a 3 this year and a 3 next year.

NO WAY would I want him at even 50% of his current salary, money wise I would be ok with them offering something maybe a little higher than they were going to offer Murray... maybe 3 years, $25M, with $14M guaranteed.

However, I truly believe if we go into the season with our current stable of RBs we are in BIG trouble.

IF we are able to add one of the top 3 RB prospects I would feel a little better, but would not think his impact would be what we need until next year, after he has a year under his belt.

The problem is we will be lucky to have Romo for 3 more years, so barring catastrophic injuries to key areas we are really a top RB and a few defensive pieces away from being REAL contenders.

Defensively we can feel good about getting Hardy, the return of Mclean and Lee, and some depth of LBs from free agency... pick up a tackle and a DB in the draft and we could be really, really solid.

The addition of AD and a defensive heavy draft would probably put us, on paper, as favorites not just for this year but for the next three or so years and I just think that is the way Jerry is thinking right now.

I bet nothing will happen until draft day, but while sitting in that room with everyone Jerry is going to stand up and say, ‘I don’t have enough time left to develop another QB and RB, our time is now!!!’ and I bet he pulls the trigger on a trade for AD, regardless of what everyone else in the room want.

I just hope he does not spend too much for him, destroying us for the years when AD is gone or not productive.

Edited by stephena
  • Like 2