Official 2012 in Prog and Rock

The Owl

2011 was an epic year for Rock and Prog, soooo many good albums out last year, and 2012 is shaping up to be just as an epic of a year.

In this thread list what you're anticipating to come out, and once they have come out share your thoughts on the album...

January was a quiet month, so no thoughts on what's come out as of yet from me, but so far what I'm looking forward to is..

-Storm Corrosion/Storm Corossion (Wilson and Akerfeldt, need I say more?)

- Flying Colors/Flying Colors (Hopefully this is a much stonger effort from Portnoy than AM was)

-Ian Anderson/ Thick as a Brick 2 (I don't have too high expectations, but it shall be intresting)

-Astra / The Black Chord (Probably my most anticipated, was supposed to be a 2011 release)

-The Flower Kings/ Untitled (First album in 5 years, excited to see this happening, Roine Stolt was almost letting on that it might never happen)

- And of course this Canadian band you might have not heard of, I think they're called Rash, is releasing an album called Kraftwerk Angles

tongue.gif

As far as prog goes, here's what I'm waiting for:

Rush (obviously)

Devin Townsend

Pelican

Periphery

Porcupine Tree

Storm Corrosion

Blackfield

Riverside

Threshold

Gojira

Karnivool

The Mars Volta

OSI

Sigur Ros

Tesseract

Anathema

Gazpacho

The Faceless

James LaBrie

Flower Kings

Baroness

Meshuggah

If These Trees Could Talk

Nile

Coheed and Cambria

So far,

Paul Cusick - P'dice

Tetrafusion - Horizons

The McMovins - Who Knows

Anticipated

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth (2/7)

Spock's Beard - The X Tour Live (2/13)

Moon Safari - The Gettysburg Address (2/22)

Gazpacho - March of the Ghosts (2/27)

Richard Barbieri/Steve Hogarth - Not The Weapon But The Hand (2/27)

Astra - The Black Chord (3/19)

Flying Colors - Flying Colors (3/27)

The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet (3/27)

Ian Anderson - Thick As A Brick 2 (4/2)

Rush - Clockwork Angels (April)

Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion (April)

Anathema - Weather Systems (Spring)

Comus - Out of The Coma EP (Spring)

District 97 - Trouble With Machines (Spring)

Black Country Communion - n/a

Blackfield - n/a

Black Sabbath - n/a

Enchant - n/a

Frost* - n/a

Joe Bonamassa - n/a

Spock's Beard - n/a

Steven Wilson - New Live & New Studio (n/a)

I'm really looking forward to the new Anathema, Flying Colors, Storm Corrosion, and Rush of course. 2012 will be a great year!

So how has this year gone so far... This little bump was motivated by the "Is CA the album of the year so far?" Im just gonna repose what I posted over there, here... here are my rankings for the albums out so far this year, and what I am still looking forward too. (Not Including 3 live albums out this year (Black Country Communion Live, Steven Wilson's Catalog/Preserve/Amass, and Spock's Beard X-Tour LIVE))

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Driving Towards the Daylight - Joe Bonamassa

3. The Black Chord - Astra (All the top 3 are very close to eachother. )

4. Banks of Eden - The Flower Kings (what a welcome back for this band, great record)

5. Flying Colors - Flying Colors

6. Storm Corrosion- Storm Corrosion

7. Noctourniquet - The Mars Volta (Another good, not fantastic, but good output from TMV)

Still have not listened to TAAB2, nor Anathema's "Weather Systems" and I need to do so.

Beardfish, Black Country Communion, Coheed and Cambria, Between The Buried and Me, as well as MUSE have albums coming later this year that might rank

But as of right now CA is at the top for 2012 and while there is still plenty in 2012 to look forward to I don't see it being eclipsed.

Albums that aren't released yet:

Big Big Train - English Electric Part 1

Steven Wilson - Get All You Deserve

Neal Morse - Momentum (though after hearing the single I'm not all that excited)

Beardfish - The Void

Black Country Communion

Spock's Beard

Enchant

Riverside

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 5 2012, 12:17 AM)
How was the Squakett CD? I've been nervous about getting that one... is it worth picking up?

I gave it a 7.5/10 but it'll probably move down to a 7 once I listen to it some more. Its a fine album but I'd buy something else from a newer band instead.

Mostly Autumn has a new album out as well... totally slipped under my radar...

http://www.mostly-autumn.com/mostlyautumnrecords/3/products/The_Ghost_Moon_Orchestra/MAOpt201.jpg

Unfortunately this group STILL does not have a U.S distributer, but it's worth the extra cost to pay for the import.

Highlight of the year is definitely SW live. I am enjoying Mars Volta, Anathema, Rush, and many others, but I am angry and sad and confused because I have not heard the new Anglagard album and how the hell are you supposed to get a hold of that?

I've got a lot of catching up to do on 2012 releases -- been too busy to keep up!

My favorites so far have been Flying Colors' self-titled, Circa Survive's newest, Ben Folds Five's return album, The Gaslight Anthem- Handwritten, John Mayer's Born and Raised (barely left my car CD player for the entire month of June), Metric's Synthetica, the new Rush (obviously), and The Tallest Man on Earth's There's no Leaving Now.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 7 2012, 07:52 PM)
I've got a lot of catching up to do on 2012 releases -- been too busy to keep up!

My favorites so far have been Flying Colors' self-titled, Circa Survive's newest, Ben Folds Five's return album, The Gaslight Anthem- Handwritten, John Mayer's Born and Raised (barely left my car CD player for the entire month of June), Metric's Synthetica, the new Rush (obviously), and The Tallest Man on Earth's There's no Leaving Now.

Circa Survive's is awesome! Just saw them last week.

Always check out progstreaming for new Prog releases you can listen to fully!

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 9 2012, 01:01 PM)
Always check out progstreaming for new Prog releases you can listen to fully!

goodpost.gif This thread is awesome: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26187

Links to free prog downloads, most are fairly new releases. smile.gif