Who provides you your television service?

BeOhBe Bob

Cable Satellite Smoke signals a/k/a antenna  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Cable Satellite Smoke signals a/k/a antenna

• Time Warner Cable
    • COMCAST
    • Cox comm
    • Other cable co.(please give their name, or not)
    • DIRECTV
    • DISH
    • That shiny thing pointing to the sky that bristles with energy

We just switched BACK to DIRECTV from TWC. They started charging us $99/month for the bundle, cable/internet/phone. Went up to almost $180 about 9 months ago, so finally talked Diane into losing the landline phone, and it brought the bill back down to $110 FOR A MONTH!! Back up to $160 and the douche customer service person told me it was because TV networks and whatever raised their rates, and I said and you're passing those charges along to us? Yesterday morning, we'd settled into an old Hawaii Five-O before she goes to work and BAM they cut us off and we just paid em $160 3 weeks ago! I called DIRECTV. $45 FOR THE FIRST THREE MONTHS, $49 for another 9 months then next year? $65, including NFL SUNDAY TICKET!! SO i was curious about what you guys go through for television.

Wow...Well I have TWC and we aren't so happy with it. The new HD cable boxes suck and of course the prices are so high. That said, I know people who have different satellite services and all I have heard is they would rather have TWC but only switched to save money. A big reason I know, but they complain of service problems and when something goes wrong, there is nothing you can do but wait it out.

One thing I would have told you prior to switching is the following. NEVER EVER call TWC customer service in the day. There is literally a night and day difference (pun intended!) with the kindness and willingness to help. At least wait until past 9pm. I am up late so I usually call at 1am-ish. And one thing I can say about TWC, is if you do call at night, they usually bend over backwards to help you. Not sure if it's due to high volume during the day so the people are jerks. Maybe it's a different call center that's run by a nicer person. Maybe it's a factor of all these things. But with the problems we had this past summer, they did jump thru hoops for us to get the problems fixed. Of course alot of ineptitude on their part, caused the problems to exists longer than they needed to. But what are you gonna do.

Keep us posted on this thread as to how you like it. And please don't leave out the bad stuff!

Do you get local channels?

Also, what did you do for internet? Did you keep Roadrunner or do they offer that as well, and if so, does it work well?

Good luck, we may be right behind you!

trink39.gif

Verizon FiOS here. No problems. Bob, if you got the 2 year NFL Sunday Ticket, check the price on the 2nd year because I saw on TV when they were running the 'free first year' special earlier last football season that the 2nd year was at full price, and it isn't cheap.

We have a cable company that's owned by Paul Allen called Wave. We seldom have problems and when we do, we have 24/7 tech support via phone. We pay $120/month for TV (expanded+HD) and High Speed internet. With Paul Allen on the customer list as well as owner, you can bet the internet is primo. wink.gif

I have heard other horror stories about DirectTV. Sorry you have to put up with that.

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Feb 1 2012, 03:18 AM)
Verizon FiOS here.  No problems.  Bob, if you got the 2 year NFL Sunday Ticket, check the price on the 2nd year because I saw on TV when they were running the 'free first year' special earlier last football season that the 2nd year was at full price, and it isn't cheap.

No, it isn't cheap. I've had Directv for about 5 years now and have had the NFL sunday ticket since joining them. The deal Bob has will not last. The sunday ticket is awesome but i think it's somewhere in the $50 dollar range they charge you per month for it from september through january. I don't have a bill with me so I can't tell you the exact dollar amount.

Unless you're a huge football fan and don't mind paying it you'll be all right with directv because the sunday ticket is really the only thing that seperates it from other providers. But you won't be saving as much as you think in the long run by switching, especially if you wanna get stuff like DVR service and other things they may offer.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Feb 1 2012, 10:55 AM)
Comcast here. No problems at all.

But, I may consider switching to Direct TV because I don't want to have a grandson with a dog collar. link

z7shysterical.gif

I saw that ad, and said holy crap! THIS girl reminds me of pix I've seen of Diane at the same age..attitude and all! I DVR'ed whatever we were watching just to show her...and her face got so red. She could NOT argue with me on that one!

So far one day back into DTV, and seems all we gave up was RTV Retro TV? I'd watch Wolfman Mac Chiller drive in theater once in a great while and maybe OffBeat Cinema. She's given up here PBS Create with Kathy Brown's Workshop, but muttered ahh effit I don't need them to be creative...as we're heading upstairs to bed I said I know you don't hehhehheh. She said what? I said nothin hun laugh.gif

Oh we got a DVR downstairs, a box upstairs which you can get everything on, just no DVR and if we were wireless we'd get the Cinema package, download movies and watch. SO far, it's good. Watched 3 movies last night. Man on Fire (wow whatta ending) Avatar and Timecop. Went to bed at 3:30. On tuesday night. laugh.gif

oh hey PRESTO, we're keeping RoadRunner. Even at $45 a month we like the speed and service and you're right on, call after hours and you get decent people, otherwise you're on hold forever and you get treated like shit

We do get local channels too ABC CBS NBC FOX and PBS

When you switch you get a flyer that says you get referral bonuses, so we oughta (if we do switch) wash one another's hand...give each other referral $$$ laugh.gif

Edited by BeOhBe Bob

I have Direct TV and had that great special like Bob but when I got the bill the 13th month I almost had a heart attack! I did call them and got a one-time credit and a discount for the next 6 months, plus I dumped the extra's no one watched. Still I pay $82.99 for whole home DVR, even though you can only watch it in 2 rooms wacko.gif and I have five tv's, no premium stations though. Overall not bad and much better than cable.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Feb 1 2012, 11:20 AM)

I have Direct TV and had that great special like Bob but when I got the bill the 13th month I almost had a heart attack! I did call them and got a one-time credit and a discount for the next 6 months, plus I dumped the extra's no one watched. Still I pay $82.99 for whole home DVR, even though you can only watch it in 2 rooms wacko.gif and I have five tv's, no premium stations though. Overall not bad and much better than cable.

You have whole home and can only watch it in 2 rooms?? Do you only have 2 boxes?

We have the living room, and 3 bedrooms all able to use the Whole Home DVR.

I like DirecTV a lot. You can usually call every 6 months or so and get a discount + something free. Right now I have Free HD, a $5 monthly credit and free Sports Plus.

QUOTE (Khan @ Feb 1 2012, 03:04 PM)
Insight

That was my old cable company growing up in Claremont,CA. Used to get the Showtime/HBO/TMC monthly pamphlets there to see what's on before many had to go online. laugh.gif

Then, it changed to Comcast after my family moved to Upland. By then, we had Dish Network and it was only after we moved that they finally added a couple of channels my mom (Turner Classic) and I (Comedy Central) wanted but wouldn't get from Comedy Central. This is why it took me so long to catch up on South Park episodes back in the day.

The Insight company kept threatening my mom saying, "You'll be crawling back!" As John Matrix would say at the end of Commando, "No chance!"

I have had DirecTV for about ten years and love it. Best service of the others I have had incl Dish Network and Brighthouse Cable. I don't do Sunday Ticket since it is so easy to watch any game on the internet.