Rush's strongest closing song (album)

Lost In Xanadu

Which is the strongest closing song?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the strongest closing song?

• Working Man (Rush)
    • In the End (FBN)
    • The Fountain of Lamneth (COS)
    • Something For Nothing (2112)
    • Cygnus X-1 (AFTK)
    • La Villa Strangiato (Hemispheres)
    • Natural Science (PeW)
    • Vital Signs (MP)
    • Countdown (Signals)
    • Between the Wheels (GUP)
    • Mystic Rhythms (PoW)
    • High Water (HYF)
    • Available Light (Presto)
    • You Bet Your Life (RTB)
    • Everyday Glory (CP)
    • Carve Away The Stone (T4E)
    • Out Of The Cradle (VT)
    • We Hold On (S&A)

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Jan 30 2012, 12:26 PM)
I voted Natural Science because of the monster drum fills and then the waves fading out.

I thought long and hard about that song also. It's my favorite song of all... and I completely agree with you about the way it ends.

I went with FOL just because the end of the album is also the end of the traveler's life.

I'd always go with "Natural Science," since it's my favorite Rush song, it's "epic," it's deep, and it has everything that makes Rush Rush, in my opinion.

Second place: La Villa.

Third place: Available Light.

• Like 1

Ahhh, it's between Cygnus and Natural Science. I LOVE Cygnus because it's just so weird! I miss them writing stuff from out of left field before they got into writing standard issue rock songs.

Natural Science is just such a great song though. The lyrics are very smart.

• Like 1

I voted for Natural Science because I think it's the perfect cap to PeW musically, but I do think Vital Signs is a very nice end to MP lyrically. Fountain of Lamneth (thanks to the story it tells) and Available Light (thanks to the cool way it fades out with Geddy still singing) are also great final numbers. And I dig the bit of bass right before the last chord in La Villa. Heck, a lot of these tunes are extremely effective closers.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jan 30 2012, 02:17 PM)
I voted for Natural Science because I think it's the perfect cap to PeW musically, but I do think Vital Signs is a very nice end to MP lyrically. Fountain of Lamneth (thanks to the story it tells) and Available Light (thanks to the cool way it fades out with Geddy still singing) are also great final numbers. And I dig the bit of bass right before the last chord in La Villa. Heck, a lot of these tunes are extremely effective closers.

I agree - listening to Working Man today and I thought... very strong tune to end an album.

VERY hard to choose between Cygnus, La Villa, and Natural Science, but I'm going with La Villa. smile.gif

Also, I wouldn't put it in the same class as the above, but I do think Out Of The Cradle is a great closer for VT. You can really hear the sheer joy of playing in the jam at the end of this tune (last minute or two). 1022.gif

• Like 1

Had to go with La Villa. The perfect ending to a perfect album.

I am such a tFOL fan, but it is not what would be considered a strong closer.

Cygnus X-1 is probably 2nd

Fountain - 3rd

Natural Science - 4th

Working Man - 5th

All such wonderful closing tunes. Can't argue with anyone choosing one of those.

Bit hard for me. I'm tied between La Villa, NatSci, and Mystic Rhythms. For total musicianship, I'd say NatSci. For strength, La Villa. For a good mix of emotive playing, Mystic Rhythms. Think I'll go with Mystic Rhythms here.

This is tough.

I will give it to Avaliable Light, partly because it probably has fewer votes than the rest.

However, La Villa, Mystic Rhythms, Between the Wheels, and Working Man are all good options.

My top 5 in order

1) La Villa

2) Natural Science

3) Between The Wheels

4) Working Man

5) Available Light

La Villa doesn't do anything to end the album. It's a great song, but another song could come after it. Nothing about La Villa says "the end" to me.

Cygnus X-1, Vital Signs, Between the Wheels, Mystic Rhythms, Available Light, and Everyday Glory are all great candidates...

But I have to go with Natural Science.

I LOVE We Hold On! I was just listening to it as a matter of fact and was thinking that it was a really strong ending to such a great album!
  • Like 1