Which Rush album mattered the least?

Cyclonus X-1

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 28 2012, 04:18 PM)
I still say Test for Echo mattered the least. There's not even any clear direction on that album. For those familiar with Yes' "Tormato", it's the Rush equivalent. The songs are all over the place with no clear direction or even a concept.

As far as the debut "Rush" goes, I'd say that one definitely matters. Donna Halper just happened to put it on and like it. And Cliff Bernstein at Mercury Records just happened to be the one to hear it and suggest sign them. Too much history with that first album to dismiss that one as irrelevant.

love Tormato. There quite a bit of amazing music on there

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jan 28 2012, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Jan 28 2012, 09:27 AM)
Screw it, I'll just say Hemispheres.

Yeah, WTF were they thinking with that one?

tongue.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jan 29 2012, 12:18 AM)
I still say Test for Echo mattered the least. There's not even any clear direction on that album. For those familiar with Yes' "Tormato", it's the Rush equivalent. The songs are all over the place with no clear direction or even a concept.

As far as the debut "Rush" goes, I'd say that one definitely matters. Donna Halper just happened to put it on and like it. And Cliff Bernstein at Mercury Records just happened to be the one to hear it and suggest sign them. Too much history with that first album to dismiss that one as irrelevant.

hey, steve, something we agree on! tongue.gif

tormato is uniformly excellent. no, it's not a concept album (or it's not 3 songs giving the false impression of a concept album), but the whole thing is brilliant. seriously underrated. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 29 2012, 07:21 AM)

tormato is uniformly excellent. no, it's not a concept album (or it's not 3 songs giving the false impression of a concept album), but the whole thing is brilliant. seriously underrated. yes.gif

heh kudos!

I cant really say any album matters least. but I will say that RTB is one I dont like very much. but I did see that tour several times. But not liking 1 studio album out of like almost 20...beyond amazing

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jan 29 2012, 02:11 AM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jan 27 2012, 06:57 PM)

My vote would be RTB. It seems like it made the least impact in the evolution of Rush.

It did have a significant impact. On the RTB tour, the band felt that the songs from the album sounded heavier and more aggressive live than on the record which influenced their thinking when it came to the production and sound of Counterparts.

Agreed. The first track I listen to on CP was Stick it out. That song IMHO had the word heavy all over it. It's one of my fav's. I like the direction the band was going at this point.

goodpost.gif I love Tormato!

Also, from they were tight on that tour. The Quebec 79 bootleg is one of the best in my collection!

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 29 2012, 01:04 PM)

goodpost.gif I love Tormato!

Also, from they were tight on that tour. The Quebec 79 bootleg is one of the best in my collection!

Tormato is a great album but I can't stand Circus of Heaven.

I'd probably say HYF was least... then again COS

and TFE are right up there too.They're still great LP's..

They just don't have the musical or lyrical strength

that other RUSH LP's have, imo.

Good topic!

I am surprised to see how much negative feedback on HYF, maybe because it wasn't enough heavy for some. I have to say that Roll the Bone and Test for Echo was not a improvement of Presto and was kind of step backward for the band even if there's still some good songs on those two albums, but it is impossible to find a Rush's cd with no good songs. As for Vapor Trails, it was a return to a heavier sound for the band and was part of the new direction of the band, so i can't say that it was not a important cd for the band, even though it's my least favorite of them all.

Rush - First album, had their break onto radio.

Importance: 8 out of 10

Fly By Night - First album with Neil, begins to demonstrate the longer song format

Importance: 9 out of 10

Caress of Steel - Fully exploits the longer song format, flops, puts the band into a do-or-die situation for their next album.

Importance: 4 out of 10

2112 - Breakout album, more or less. Gets everyone back onboard with Rush. Wins them the studio freedom they want, getting the record company of their backs.

Importance: 10 out of 10

A Farewell to Kings - First album to really push into the synthesizers. Neil's kit expands greatly. The sounds and textures flesh out more. Closer to the Heart is a big hit.

Importance: 7 out of 10

Hemispheres - The album that "breaks the camels back" so to speak, the last album with the side-long concepts. The band grows weary of them during the writing of this. Shift in band direction begins.

Permanent Waves - Shift in band evolution on the album. Shorter songs dominate, moving into New Wave territory.

Importance: 8.5 out of 10

Moving Pictures - Rush becomes main stream

Signals - Rush establishes that they will continue evolving, not become complacent with what sells best. The synths begin pushing Alex back.

Grace Under Pressure - Terry Brown is dismissed. Rush fully embraces Synths. Alex has one last hurrah in places here before the synths really grow wild. Darkest Rush album to date.

Power Windows - Synths take over. Alex gets restless.

Hold Your Fire - Things push too far in the synth direction. Tension builds. Rumor has it band considers a break.

Presto - Synths lessen a bit. Rupert Hine comes in. Alex comes back to the front.

Roll the Bones - Same general sound as Presto, has a more developed theme. Almost a concept album.

Importance: 3 out of 10

Counterparts - Rush gets their balls back. Synths drop away very quickly. Focus is once again guitar-driven. Neil begins working with Freddie.

Test for Echo - Freddie lessons end. Rush explores a Progressive feel again, in contrast to their straight-ahead Counterparts effort. Things get slightly more groovy.

Importance: 5 out of 10

Vapor Trails - Rush comes back after Neil's long absence. The band ditches synths completely. This album establishes Rush after Neil's loss.

Snakes and Arrows - Neil's take on religion. Rush remixes. Synths return slightly.

Importance: 6 out of 10

So, based o my arbitrary rankings, Caress of Steel or Roll the Bones are the least important. Caress of Steel almost ended the band, and is a fairly forgotten album. Rush could have not released Caress of Steel and had the same career. Roll the Bones broke absolutely no ground, and didn't gain them any popularity.

But, since Caress of Steel but their backs against the wall, Roll the Bones is the least important.

Edited by New World Kid

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jan 29 2012, 02:27 PM)
Rush - First album, had their break onto radio.

Important because it started this roller coaster.

Fly By Night - First album with Neil, begins to demonstrate the longer song format

Same as the first.

Caress of Steel - Fully exploits the longer song format, flops, puts the band into a do-or-die situation for their next album.
Importance: 4 out of 10

My disagreement with this is that if CoS wasn't the "flop" it was, the band would never have said F*** it and made 2112!

2112 - Breakout album,  more or less. Gets everyone back onboard with Rush. Wins them the studio freedom they want, getting the record company of their backs.

10 out of 10?  nah, If it was only Side one, A Passage to Bangcock, and Something for Nothing...the rest of the album sucks!

A Farewell to Kings - First album to really push into the synthesizers. Neil's kit expands greatly. The sounds and textures flesh out more. Closer to the Heart is a big hit.

only 7?  really?

Hemispheres - The album that "breaks the camels back" so to speak, the last album with the side-long concepts. The band grows weary of them during the writing of this. Shift in band direction begins.

Wow...perfect album, it has it all! 10!

Permanent Waves - Shift in band evolution on the album. Shorter songs dominate, moving into New Wave territory.
Importance: 8.5 out of 10

hard to gauge this one onlyy because it was a sort of "transition album:" (old school vs. new school) personally, I liked it better than MP...

Moving Pictures - Rush becomes main stream

For that reason only...it pushed them over the top!

Signals - Rush establishes that they will continue evolving, not become complacent with what sells best. The synths begin pushing Alex back.

Dark album (not only sonically)  another "transition"

Grace Under Pressure - Terry Brown is dismissed. Rush fully embraces Synths. Alex has one last hurrah in places here before the synths really grow wild. Darkest Rush album to date.

Established them in the 80's...great songs...typical 80's production...I would have loved to hear what Terry Brown did with this one...

Power Windows - Synths take over. Alex gets restless.

4 tops!  Songs are too "hmmmmmmmm" sounds are typical for the time...could have done without, really

Hold Your Fire - Things push too far in the synth direction. Tension builds. Rumor has it band considers a break.

3 tops!  Songs tried too hard, they almost turned into a "synth pop" band with this one!

Presto - Synths lessen a bit. Rupert Hine comes in. Alex comes back to the front.

Better tunes, but 8?  maybe 6

Roll the Bones - Same general sound as Presto, has a more developed theme. Almost a concept album.
Importance: 3 out of 10

totally agree

Counterparts - Rush gets their balls back. Synths drop away very quickly. Focus is once again guitar-driven. Neil begins working with Freddie.

yeah, about right

Test for Echo - Freddie lessons end. Rush explores a Progressive feel again, in contrast to their straight-ahead Counterparts effort. Things get slightly more groovy.
Importance: 5 out of 10

2 with a bullet! and that's being kind!

Vapor Trails - Rush comes back after Neil's long absence. The band ditches synths completely. This album establishes Rush after Neil's loss.

Ugh!  worst songs to date! Sonically it's crap, but the comeback factor gives it life 

Snakes and Arrows - Neil's take on religion. Rush remixes. Synths return slightly.
Importance: 6 out of 10

The return to the "song" and the "sound"  9 or 10 easily!  a modern day classic!

So, based o my arbitrary rankings, Caress of Steel or Roll the Bones are the least important. Caress of Steel almost ended the band, and is a fairly forgotten album. Rush could have not released Caress of Steel and had the same career. Roll the Bones broke absolutely no ground, and didn't gain them any popularity.

But, since Caress of Steel but their backs against the wall, Roll the Bones is the least important.

Just tossing my opinions onto your assessment....don't take it personally...

Dreamline from RTB , was a big hit for RUSH in 91-92.

It got alot of the younger rock crowd interested in RUSH.

I think RTB was more important,as far as recruiting

a younger fan base , then any RUSH LP in the last 20-25 yrs,imo.

Good list to analyze all the LP's. Thumbs up!

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jan 29 2012, 02:59 PM)
Dreamline from RTB , was a big hit for RUSH in 91-92.
It got alot of the younger rock crowd interested in RUSH.
I think RTB was more important,as far as recruiting
a younger fan base , then any RUSH LP in the last 20-25 yrs,imo.
Good list to analyze all the LP's. Thumbs up!

Dreamline, Bravado and Ghost of a Chance got RUSH more radio play than they'd had in a long time. T4E got them exposure via Neil's new method, his DVD, and great, great tour. That may be the tour that re-establsihed them as a premier touring arena band.

It's becoming clear to me that they all matter...a real testament to the band, I'd say.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jan 27 2012, 06:57 PM)

My vote would be RTB. It seems like it made the least impact in the evolution of Rush.

I disagree, for two reasons:

1) Geddy said afterwards that RTB is the album that made them realize that their songs were not having the impact on record that they were live. That realization led directly to the more raw sound we got on CP, which was a huge shift.

2) There are a handful of songs on RTB that have really endured in the live performance.

I go with the group and say TFE. It really is the end of the road for that sort of sound, which also has very little evolution over Counterparts. Whether by design, or as a matter of consequence as a result of the hiatus, when VT came around, it had little to nothing to do with Test for Echo.

Peace,

Ron

74-87 it all mattered. Big time.

This is Rushes greatest music ever written whether your not a big fan of COS (like myself) or Signals or Hold Your Fire or whatever. This defining period of the band is a must.

Then we come to Presto. Good album. But in the grand scheme of things for me....it matters the least.

Roll the Bones for better or for worse was a commercial success so it mattered for the band big time. It was a bounce back from the soft and regressive Presto. I say regressive because (it is all subjective of course) Hold Your Fire may not have been everyones cup of tea but it showed the band pushing themselves to limits they have not even dared to since.

Presto was a so called return to the organic songwriting approach but IMO fell flat.

Roll the Bones IMO saw a much stronger emphasis on melody and songs. Dreamline, Bravado, Roll the Bones and Ghost of a Chance are four trememdous Rush songs IMO. Classics.

Presto struggles to have that. I can tell you IMO only 2 songs are truly brilliant for them on Presto (keep in mind we are talking about Rush I love all their stuff for the most part) in The Pass and Available Light.

Why?

Those 2 songs pushed the limit in my opinion. They had never written anything like them before or after. Chain Lighting is also another cool track. Everything else (on Presto) though had that been there done that in some way or another...or were just dud's like Anagram and Superconductor. In all fairness Show Don't tell is a great rocker as well.

Presto matters the least for me in the catalog.

Test For Echo in the grand scheme also is a lukewarm album these days. Some great songs like Driven, the title track , Resist and the highly underrated Totem. But overall nothing groundbreaking for "Rush".

I have come to realize that since Roll The Bones they have not been pushing the sonic soundscape anymore but merely jamming and cranking out solid songs. Counterparts was a great return to crunchy guitars and driving hard rocking Rush (which I prefer overall). Yet I loved when they experimented with Keys...the results IMO were masterful.

I am very cool with that. They have given us going on 40 years of amazing music. They don't have anything to prove to anyone....except themselves.

Edited by Todem