RIP Andrew MacNaughtan

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

This is one of those moments where I can't accept reality. I'm probably gonna have a hard time watching the Rio and Snakes and Arrows documentaries after hearing the sad news. It must've been a traumatic moment for anyone who was there when it happened, and it's a scary thought that Rush might've been present when it happened.

From that video interview on RushIsABand, he seemed like a class act and true gentlemen. I loved the photography he did with the guys and enjoyed the documentaries he did for RiR and S&A . He truly deserved to be the band's photographer.

RIP Andrew sad.gif rose.gif

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OnePost @ Jan 27 2012, 06:47 AM)
When I least expected it Andrew would call me. Once he went on about how Neil was going to kill him. I was shocked why would Neil want to kill him. What did he do? He then went on to tell me he was in Neil's new car and they were speeding though the desert at a million miles an hour. I believe that's when he shot the portrait of Neil driving the BMW.

The last time I spoke with Andrew he was excited about the release of his book "Grace: Africa In Photographs" and raising money to benefit the children of Kenya and Tanzania. This cause meant the world to him.

I miss my friend

I'm so very sorry you lost your friend. hug2.gif

The entire Rush community is feeling this loss. Like everyone has said, he seemed like a true gentleman and a good person. And, obviously, his talent was immeasurable. My thoughts are with Andrew's family and his friends, like you, and with all of us who are going to miss his photographic chronicles of our favorite band. He'll always be remembered, and he's left the legacy of an incredible body of beautiful art that will last forever. God's speed, Mr. MacNaughtan. heart.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 26 2012, 11:21 AM)
Word has just come out that legendary Canadian music photographer Andrew McNaughtan has died...

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%20posters/Rushposters002.jpg

Andrew McNaughtan advocated on behalf of himself and probably the fans to have 'The Camera Eye' played on subsequent Rush tours according to this article here.

Thankfully the band did the song on the 'Time Machine Tour' before he passed on. The band was probably ahead of it's time when they wrote 'The Camera Eye', which to me is a tribute to Andrew in some way. I sense some foreshadowing here. I mean this in a good way.

Andrew MacNaughtan Tribute Story - CBC The National News

Edited by RushFanForever

The CBC news story that suggests that Rush were still too distraught to talk about it tells me how close they must have been, and that sadly, they must have been with him when he passed.

It's horribly sad.

What a terrible few months for Neil, who also lost his friend Freddie Gruber.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jan 30 2012, 08:56 AM)
Wow. What a great memorial Neil wrote.

I agree, I just read it this morning. Sweet to learn that he introduced Neil to Carrie... heart.gif Plus, their entire relationship was so nice and they were so close and had so much fun and warm times.

I was so shocked when I first heard about it, though. It's so unexpected, so random.

All I can say is he will definitely be missed, but admired always.

His work is wonderful, and he took some of my favourite Rush pictures. (Especially some of my favourite pictures of Alex.)

Love and condolences to Andrew's family and friends, and Rush. rose.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Jan 30 2012, 02:05 AM)
Not sure if anyone posted this, I did a quick look and didn't see it.

Neil wrote a beautiful tribute to his friend.

Remembering Andrew by Neil Peart

Great tribute, to Andrew McNaughtan! He will be greatly missed and remembered by all who knew him or his work!

rose.gif

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jan 28 2012, 04:58 AM)
Andrew McNaughtan advocated on behalf of himself and probably the fans to have 'The Camera Eye' played on subsequent Rush tours according to this article here.

Thankfully the band did the song on the 'Time Machine Tour' before he passed on. The band was probably ahead of it's time when they wrote 'The Camera Eye', which to me is a tribute to Andrew in some way. I sense some foreshadowing here. I mean this in a good way.

Andrew MacNaughtan Tribute Story - CBC The National News

It would be a very fitting tribute for the boys to play "The Camera Eye" on the next tour as Andrew advocated for and showcase all the pics that Andrew shot of them on the big screen!!

R.I.P. Andrew McNaughtan!

sad.gif rose.gif

QUOTE (rushforumnewuser @ Jan 27 2012, 10:30 PM)
The National (CBC News) just had a story about his passing. They said Rush is too distraught to talk about it.

That's horrible sad.gif

Stuff like this makes me so sad... 2.gif doesn't deserve stuff like this, and wow, this photography is amazing.