bands with short careers

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jan 23 2012, 09:34 PM)
QUOTE (Scobie @ Jan 23 2012, 04:03 PM)
Vandenberg

I saw them open for Ozzy touring for their s/t debut. I always liked them. It's too bad Adrian left to join Whitesnake.

Same here...front row. I thought they put on a hell of a show.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 23 2012, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 23 2012, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (Scobie @ Jan 23 2012, 03:03 PM)
Vandenberg, Kick Axe, Teaze

One listen to those bands and you Know why they did not last biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif

I don't know... Vices is a killer album... Welcome to the Club was alright...

And Teaze, they also had a pretty rocking debut, and I still listen to their live album maybe once a month - straight-forward rock, no glam or other nonsense.

• Like 1

Semisonic - they went pop sad.gif and then broke up sad.gif sad.gif

Living Colour - Such an underrated band

Dada - although they have recently reunited full-time

Concrete Blonde - Smashing 3rd album - Bloodletting They couldn't keep up the success.... sad.gif

Off the top of my head:

Tears for Fears (only 3 true albums--excluding the reunion album--in 7 years). I suppose 7 years seems like a long time, it just feels like they could have done so much more. Yes, they're not exactly obscure, but if "The Seeds of Love" is any indication of the direction the band was going in (as in, highly experimental) then I wish there was more material. And I'm talking TFF as a duo, not the solo-Roland TFF.

Bruce Hornsby & the Range (3 albums in a 5 year period). While "A Night on the Town" was definitely a disappointment in my eyes, the first two albums are masterpieces I could listen to a million times. It's a shame that Bruce got a little *too* influenced by jazz/bluegrass and hasn't put out anything particularly mind-blowing since The Range.

As mentioned, The Dream Academy (3 albums in 6 years). They're definitely far from my favorite group and I would hardly consider their stuff "classic," but they brought about a very unique sound. Their songwriting was very atmospheric and blurred some lines between pop and classical--I definitely don't think "formulaic" for a second when listening to their stuff.

Fine Young Cannibals (2 albums in 4 years). While pretty much just the band that sung "She Drives Me Crazy," they did demonstrate a gift for catchy pop hooks. While I don't predict they would have broken any barriers with further albums, it would've have been nice to have a few more CD's of material from them. Just generally upbeat, poppy stuff with some unique vocals.

Artful Dodger (American band from Virginia) Were only popular in Cleveland & Pittsburgh. They Opened for Rush at Akron Caress Of Steel tour I believe. Still do reunion shows once in awhile at Agora ballroom.

The Connells.... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jan 23 2012, 10:41 PM)
Semisonic - they went pop sad.gif and then broke up sad.gif sad.gif
Living Colour - Such an underrated band
Dada - although they have recently reunited full-time
Concrete Blonde - Smashing 3rd album - Bloodletting They couldn't keep up the success.... sad.gif

Fugazi

Secret French Kissing Society

Noctournal Zoo

Great music too short of a career span.

As for Living Colour, yes very underrated but still putting out music even though very infrequent.

Last release 2009....http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3c/Living_chair300x300.jpg/220px-Living_chair300x300.jpg

Saw that tour at the 9:30 Club ind DC an excellent show only dissappointed once in the 11 times I've seen the band. Vernon had some guiter reverb problems all show long, a very kool guy backstage.

Here's a single from the album speaking about New Orleans and the aftermath of Katrina.

Peace

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jan 23 2012, 10:29 AM)
SNOT
user posted image

Looks like ink but it'snot... tongue.gif

Only band I can think of right now is Autograph... I'd have to listen again to see if I still like them but back when I was 16 these guy's debut album came out and they were my favorite band!

waited and waited for album #2... never happened.

CCR

The Beatles

Jimi Hendrix

Cream

The Beach Boys (original lineup)

Boston

The Who

Led Zep

The Allman Bros.(original Lineup)

BTO (original Lineup)

The Byrds (original Lineup)

Edited by go2wrk@95974

I agree with many of the groups already mentioned so I won't repeat them. I will however toss in 2 names not already mentioned. They are:

1. GTR ( 1 album - minimal touring)

2. The Firm (2 albums - not much touring)

Like a big chunk of GTR's albums and parts of both Firm albums. Wish I could have seen either / both of them in concert. Wish they could have recorded more.

Actually, I just thought of another group / artist.

Scandel / Patty Smyth - Scandel had 2 good albums (loved The Warrior - still do) and the one solo album that I remember her doing I really like.

Interesting story goes with her. I once heard that when VH tossed out David Lee Roth, Eddie VH wanted to bring Patty Smyth in as the new lead singer. The others talked him into Sammy. Don't know if it is true. Anybody else ever about this?? Makes you wonder what might have been....

Edited by TheAccountant

The Green/Kirwan/Spencer line up of Fleetwood Mac (less than 2 years)

Ozzy Osbourne's first band with Rhoads/Daisley/Kerslake

Deep Purple mark 2's first run ('69-'73)

Yes line up of Anderson/Squire/Bruford/Howe/Wakeman (1 year)

The original Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett (3 years) or the 5 man Floyd that existed briefly in 1968

Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Feb 17 2012, 04:19 PM)

Actually, I just thought of another group / artist.

Scandel / Patty Smyth - Scandel had 2 good albums (loved The Warrior - still do) and the one solo album that I remember her doing I really like.

Interesting story goes with her.  I once heard that when VH tossed out David Lee Roth, Eddie VH wanted to bring Patty Smyth in as the new lead singer.  The others talked him into Sammy.  Don't know if it is true.  Anybody else ever about this??  Makes you wonder what might have been....

Do you know that Patty Smyth is married to John McEnroe?

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 23 2012, 11:36 PM)
Dif Juz. They defined what would become the 4AD sound in the 1980s. They had far too short a career and not nearly enough releases.

Amazing band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUbQiUv1QHo

Never heard of "em but I listened to the link provided. Cool 80's sound dripping with reverb and chorus, but the song itself (and the video for certain) was pretty boring...But the sound was cool.