Best Ged song intro on live album?

laughedatbytime

"This is something from Signals", always makes me smile.

QUOTE (RASH 2112 @ Jan 23 2012, 12:12 AM)
I like Geddy's "plain jane" way of speaking between songs.  It's usually right to the point with a little splash of humor once in awhile.  No time to waste.  They are there to play a great show and we are there to take in a great show.

Agreed. goodpost.gif I think he has the perfect balance between focusing on the music and involving the audience. He doesn't need cursing or even an attitude. His presence is natural, showing what a nice guy he really is. Also, I love his sense of humor.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the win.....not on a live album, but Geddy's all-time best song intro ever:

Note that this was a month after Kings of Leon walked off stage three songs into a show because their drummer was getting crapped on by pigeons nesting in the rafters of the same venue.

Peace,

Ron

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Jan 22 2012, 04:51 PM)
I'm sorry but i'm not a great fan of Geddy's rehearsed between song banter, i suppose it's functional but i would rather hear something more spontaneous however it's fine, it serves it's purpose so i'm not that bothered! Saying he's the master is stretching things a bit though!

Agreed here. It's annoying how there is such a lack of banter, since the guys are so funny. When it is exactly the same from show to show...it is a major let down.

Edited by goose

A JOKE:

Geddy Lee's famous banter from Exit Stage Left DVD:

"This is a song about a car, this is called Red Barrrchetta."

Geddy Lee's infamous deleted banter from the subsequent Grace Under Pressure Tour DVD:

"This is a song about the holocaust, this is called Red Sectorrr A."

(picture that in Ged's voice)

Note: The multiple R's in "Barchetta" and "Sector" represent Geddy rolling his tongue as a Spaniard would. (like he does on ESL)

Half my family is Jewish. I mean no offence to anyone. My uncle's a big Rush fan, and he thought it was pretty funny.

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jan 24 2012, 01:48 PM)
I think the stand-up comedy routine the gedster
does , right before RUSH plays Coldfire is classic!

Another favorite is: " This is a song about a car...Red Barchetta"

The problem is the Cold Fire Intro is a ripoff of Phil Collins' intro to Genesis' That's All. I really don't mind his lack of talking though, better that than anything phony. In the words of the wise muppets Statler and Waldorf:

"It was...short."

"WE LOVED IT!"

Edited by Apollo

QUOTE (Phantom @ Jan 23 2012, 08:08 PM)
On Counterparts tour, as they went into playing " Cold Fire ", Alex is playing a country/western guitar twang, and Geddy says talks of the new direction of the band... Country and Western

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LocBngOFeFY

Got to agree with this one. Always love the Country and Western intro. A new direction the band is taking.

Buenas Noches, mein froinds and welcome to ...La Villa Strangiato!!!

Sorry can't remember the title of the bootleg.

I have to admit I don't really care for the "pre-arranged" banter such as "we've got a thousand songs to play for you tonight" either.

The Cold Fire intro from the 1994 tour is my favourite although I prefer the Toronto version from the "Animated" bootleg.

I have to give Geddy credit that there have been quite a few times when he has talked to the crowd about a local issue. He has obviously taken the time to read the local paper to see what is going on there.

Chicago 9/15/12. YYZ just finished and I knew the setlist so I thought that Working Man was up next.

Geddy: "This is the part of the show where we say "farewell to strings" and go back to being a trio."

*takes a sip of water*

"You might recognize this one."

*Spirit of Radio kicks off*

SO GREAT

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jan 22 2012, 05:23 PM) a-one two three FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUR

Love that one!

What song is that the intro to?

It's the intro to In The End from The Fifth Order of Angels bootleg...

Buenas Noches, mein froinds and welcome to ...La Villa Strangiato!!!

Sorry can't remember the title of the bootleg.

It's on the Black Forest boot

It's also on the "Buenas Noches, mein froinds" boot.