Am I finally home?

anticlockwise

Hello, my fellow humans and Rush fans. I am new here, and I think an introduction is in order. I am 18, and I've only been listening to Rush for a few years, but in that time, they've changed my life.

I discovered and came to love Rush through the (now departed) drummer of my band when I was 15 and struggling to find my place in the world. School had always been painful, and socially something just wasn't right. I didn't really have any friends, and I still don't. I was starting to give up on myself, getting into trouble and sacrificing my principles for conformity.

Joining a band and immersing myself into playing music pulled me out of the deep end, but equally significant was the music of Rush. As I started to discover more and more of it, and to listen to the lyrics, I felt like someone had thrown me a life-line. I learned to hold my head up high, and that there was value in who I was, even if it didn't match the ideals of those around me. Today, I am (mostly) confident and happy with who I've become. I graduated from high school and am in college now, when at one point that goal looked unattainable.

Rush helped me realize who I really was, and to grow into that person.

That being said, I've been hoping to meet some Rush fans, because I think there's a chance I might be able to relate to them better than the average person, and because hopefully they would not consider me some sort of anomaly, as most average people my age seem to. I was about ready to post a CL ad: "Rush fan needed for friendship". Then I found this forum...

Edited by anticlockwise

bekloppt.gif Welcome! Yep. You're home!

Many of us have had the experience of "being thrown a lifeline" by this band. You will certainly find many stories here. And many musicians, too! http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/Guitar_by_PoisonTouch.gif

Welcome to TRF Anticlockwise! bekloppt.gif

You are home! Many of us have had the experience you have had with 2.gif

Enjoy!

Edited by LyndseyG

Glad you found us! I'm a fairly recent fan myself - I've liked them all my life, but never got to a show until a couple years ago, where I fell in love. I was in the midst of a long, tough part of my life and was totally drained. It felt like Rush brought me back to life, helped me see the way out, and hang on until I could get there, so I can relate to what you're feeling. I also had similar school experiences back in the day, though regretfully, I never got into playing music.

Have you ever been to a Rush show? Would love to hear some of your favorites. I'm one of those rare synth era nuts, but of course, love everything they do.

Hope you enjoy the board and getting to know all of us! bekloppt.gif

Thanks again everyone!

To proudlyrushian: congrats! But don't be in too big of a hurry to get there. I wish I could go back to being 17. I saw my first Rush show, graduated from high school, and life was good! Most of what I've experienced as an 18-year-old haven't been nearly as fun or memorable. But, I think that's just the nature of this year, and it would have happened regardless of my age.

To 1 of the 7: Thanks for your kindness, and I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've had. Rush seems to have some kind of healing power on people who don't quite fit, kind of like the band itself. It's never too late to get into playing an instrument! It's got something to offer to people of every age. I've been to one Rush show, April 13th 2011, at the Huntington Center in Toledo. That is probably one of the best memories I'll ever have. Ever since that show, Closer to the Heart has been one of my favorites. There was just a certain feeling that filled the place when they played it; people of all ages and backgrounds united as one in hope of a better future and a better world for all...

Xanadu, Anthem, By-Tor and the Snow dog, Fly By Night, Witch Hunt, Free Will, La Villa Strangiato, and Subdivisions are some of my favorites across a few albums. I haven't yet delved into some of the newer material, as I like to buy each album and get familiar with the music like that.

QUOTE (anticlockwise @ Jan 21 2012, 04:58 PM)
I've been to one Rush show, April 13th 2011, at the Huntington Center in Toledo. That is probably one of the best memories I'll ever have.

Aw, I should have been there with you - we were planning on going, but when it was rescheduled, we couldn't go. We still went to the Hershey, PA show, and had been to the Syracuse, NY show the September before.

Closer To The Heart, Witch Hunt, and Subdivisions were great on the Time Machine tour, and some of my faves in general smile.gif

Sounds like Clockwork Angels might be here before we know it! Have fun getting to know the new albums, including that one!

QUOTE (anticlockwise @ Jan 21 2012, 10:58 PM)
Thanks again everyone!

To proudlyrushian: congrats! But don't be in too big of a hurry to get there. I wish I could go back to being 17. I saw my first Rush show, graduated from high school, and life was good! Most of what I've experienced as an 18-year-old haven't been nearly as fun or memorable. But, I think that's just the nature of this year, and it would have happened regardless of my age.

To 1 of the 7: Thanks for your kindness, and I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've had. Rush seems to have some kind of healing power on people who don't quite fit, kind of like the band itself. It's never too late to get into playing an instrument! It's got something to offer to people of every age. I've been to one Rush show, April 13th 2011, at the Huntington Center in Toledo. That is probably one of the best memories I'll ever have. Ever since that show, Closer to the Heart has been one of my favorites. There was just a certain feeling that filled the place when they played it; people of all ages and backgrounds united as one in hope of a better future and a better world for all...
Xanadu, Anthem, By-Tor and the Snow dog, Fly By Night, Witch Hunt, Free Will, La Villa Strangiato, and Subdivisions are some of my favorites across a few albums. I haven't yet delved into some of the newer material, as I like to buy each album and get familiar with the music like that.

I know what you mean about learning an instrument. I got back into playing the flute after a sixteen year gap. I also play the ocarina. Both were inspired by Rush, learning to play some of their songs.

Closer to the Heart is my second favourite (only just) behind Mystic Rhythms. There's just something comforting and uplifting about that song that makes me smile every time I hear it.