If SOPA and PIPA passes.. what will happen to TRF?

The Owl

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 24 2012, 05:38 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 24 2012, 03:20 PM)
Just realized something. If the US passes this law, Google (and I assume Yahoo and the like as well) will have to censor it's results.

Does that mean any person around the world using Google will get screwed? Without getting a say in the bill?

Yes. That's exactly what it would mean.

We have no way of knowing what the bill will look like when it comes back, but that's what would have happened if SOPA/PIPA had become law.

Um, isn't sort of wrong for the US's laws to affect people worldwide?

Everything I learn about SOPA makes me hate it more. angry.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 24 2012, 11:06 PM)
Just realized something. If the US passes this law, Google (and I assume Yahoo and the like as well) will have to censor it's results.

Does that mean any person around the world using Google will get screwed? Without getting a say in the bill?

We have no way of knowing what the bill will look like when it comes back, but that's what would have happened if SOPA/PIPA had become law.

Yep. It's very, very wrong. But that's the way we've been since around World War II, really. It gets worse decade after decade.

God, everyone quit whining. SOPA and PIPA are not (or I guess would not/will not--I don't know) going to just automatically shut down every single copyrighted thing on the internet. The companies responsible for the copyright still have to file a claim for infringement. I'm willing to bet that everyone behind the copyrights found on this site are NOT GOING TO CARE about a few pictures or links of Rush material as long as no one gets stupid and starts posting a bunch of torrent links to released material (aka CD's/DVD's/etc.). Could they find a picture on this site and shut it down? Sure, but that doesn't mean THEY WILL.

QUOTE (Scars @ Jan 25 2012, 12:05 AM)
God, everyone quit whining. SOPA and PIPA are not (or I guess would not/will not--I don't know) going to just automatically shut down every single copyrighted thing on the internet. The companies responsible for the copyright still have to file a claim for infringement. I'm willing to bet that everyone behind the copyrights found on this site are NOT GOING TO CARE about a few pictures or links of Rush material as long as no one gets stupid and starts posting a bunch of torrent links to released material (aka CD's/DVD's/etc.). Could they find a picture on this site and shut it down? Sure, but that doesn't mean THEY WILL.

You're right that under normal circumstances, with due process and filings, it takes time and effort. Under SOPA/PIPA, it would take nothing more than sending a letter. No due process, no court orders, no nothing. It would take copyright holders about five seconds of effort to have an entire site shut down, so the way it's been so far - too much trouble to bother with the little guys - wouldn't stand up anymore.

YouTube would have been shut down a week after it became law. TRF? No, but it would have only been a matter of time.

Laws made by countries always affect other countries.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 25 2012, 07:46 AM)

Though not always as directly as this. A law establishing speed limits in the US doesn't affect people in Russia. A law preventing US payment processors like PayPal, Visa and Mastercard from doing business with specific people and businesses does (plus there's the aspect of blocking access to those sites).

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 25 2012, 08:46 AM)

Yes, but this is major.

I know it's not going to pass now, but it will be back. And when it eventually passes, it's going to suck.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 25 2012, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jan 25 2012, 08:46 AM)

Yes, but this is major.

I know it's not going to pass now, but it will be back. And when it eventually passes, it's going to suck.

have faith, ye

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Jan 30 2012, 02:10 PM)
I blame Rudy. You all remember that prick?

Giuliani? confused13.gif

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there goes thepiratebay bekloppt.gif

oh well. it was the swedish themselves that gave the founders jailtime and it appears they took down the site as well. they're saying "enough with piracy."

slippery slope, my friends... hopefully nothing like sopa/pipa passes though, and we continue losing websites in this fashion. I'm fine with this, honestly.

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Feb 2 2012, 03:42 AM)

oh well. it was the swedish themselves that gave the founders jailtime and it appears they took down the site as well. they're saying "enough with piracy."

slippery slope, my friends... hopefully nothing like sopa/pipa passes though, and we continue losing websites in this fashion. I'm fine with this, honestly.

Wow, that sucks. Really bad.

Obviously the US doesn't need SOPA to ruin the internet for the world.

Great job, government! trink39.gif

angry.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 2 2012, 12:47 PM)
QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Feb 2 2012, 03:42 AM)

Wow, that sucks. Really bad.

Obviously the US doesn't need SOPA to ruin the internet for the world.

Great job, government! trink39.gif

angry.gif

Again, I'm fine with this battle. Dedicated internet users are going to thrive for as long as a bill doesn't actually pass.

and apparently: the 3 admins of tpb sentenced simply left sweden.

Edited by Ovningskora

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 2 2012, 06:24 PM)
I have no problem with places like The Pirate Bay getting shut down. Its kind of obvious that its purpose it for downloading illegal music and movies, not for sharing and storing legal files like Megaupload.

it's got it's pros and cons, imo.

Yeah, but if The Pirate Bay, Megaupload, etc can be targeted so easily, what's to prevent other file-sharing sites, like Dime a Dozen, Rapidshare, and bootleg blogs from being shut down?

sad.gif