Which is the BEST Star Trek series? a counterpart

treeduck

Which is your favourite Trek series?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite Trek series?

• 1 Star Trek - The Original Series
    • 2 The Next Generation
    • 3 Deep Space Nine
    • 4 Voyager
    • 5 Enterprise
    • 6 I love them all
    • 7 My name is Hatchet Pete, I was raped by Spock so I have a few issues
    • 8 I'm not a fan of any of this garbage, take it away, and no Star Wars either
    • 9 I don't like it I prefer Star Wars
    • 10 Wesley Crusher put me off the whole idea of Trek, and I never went back

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jan 18 2012, 01:11 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 08:10 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jan 17 2012, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 06:07 PM)
The Next Generation is basically about Picard's quest to prove that humanity is worthy of exploring the galaxy, and Data's quest to find out what it is to be human. That's just not enough of a story for me...

We could say that the entire series was about promoting Humanity and its quest for self-improvement and exploration. I thought it offered a far more introspective look into human triumphs and weaknesses. It covered issues that would make most anthropolgists proud. yes.gif

What was The Original Series about, then? Roddenberry had basically one agenda - to show mankind as being able to overcome its violent and xenophobic history and unite as One People. The rest of it was more like Wagon Train in outer space..... not that there's anything wrong with that..... smile.gif

Let me put it simply: there was too much Picard and Data in the show.

I was fed up with Data and his cat spot and his obsession with being human by about season 3. Funny how he never asked Worf what it was like to be Klingon. And Picard and his "Make it so" and "engage" and "namba one" exhortations was wearing on me pretty early too.

Data is Spock-lite. He wanted to be human but Spock, who was half human, did not. Data is basically a Pinocchio character, as Spock was, but Spock was way more interesting and enjoyable to watch with brilliant relationships with Kirk, Scotty and especially McCoy. TNG needed three characters to create their own Spock presence on their Enterprise; Data (smart ass walking computer), Riker (first officer), Worf (alien officer on the bridge).

Meanwhile Picard time and again was trying to prove he and his crew belonged out there, like he had an inferiority complex. To the Q, to the Romulans, even to the Borg even though he knew they didn't even know or care. He practically begged to be accepted to every life form he encountered. None of the other Captains, even Janeway did this. I found Picard embarrassing at times. Good acting from Patty Boy Stewart though...

The other characters were not very interesting, Riker was mind numbingly dull. Troi and the Doc were basically eye candy. Troi had a tendency to ramble. I mean a ship's counselor? A space social worker? Wesley I have no idea why they put this character in there but he wasn't even a Star Fleet cadet and yet he was somehow the helmsman of the ship. Nepotism maybe since his mother was the ship's doc? Laforge was just a blind Scotty. And Worf was much more interesting when he joined DS9.

trink38.gif

Pretty much sums it up for me, particularly the part about Data. And Picard/Stewart is too stiff, wooden and unexciting for my tastes. Certainly not very dynamic. The show was too damn talky and meandering, getting bogged down with the overuse of technical jargon (or what I like to call "technobabble").

Agreed.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 12:54 PM)
For me it's the Original and still the best...

trink38.gif

I have to agree with you Ducky! trink39.gif Although, when I watch it now it's pretty funny of what their version of what the future would look like. It's campy and cheesy, but I love it.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 17 2012, 09:07 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 09:10 PM)
The Next Generation is basically about Picard's quest to prove that humanity is worthy of exploring the galaxy, and Data's quest to find out what it is to be human. That's just not enough of a story for me...

We could say that the entire series was about promoting Humanity and its quest for self-improvement and exploration. I thought it offered a far more introspective look into human triumphs and weaknesses. It covered issues that would make most anthropolgists proud. yes.gif

What was The Original Series about, then? Roddenberry had basically one agenda - to show mankind as being able to overcome its violent and xenophobic history and unite as One People. The rest of it was more like Wagon Train in outer space..... not that there's anything wrong with that..... smile.gif

I was fed up with Data and his cat spot and his obsession with being human by about season 3. Funny how he never asked Worf what it was like to be Klingon. And Picard and his "Make it so" and "engage" and "namba one" exhortations was wearing on me pretty early too.

Data is Spock-lite. He wanted to be human but Spock, who was half human, did not. Data is basically a Pinocchio character, as Spock was, but Spock was way more interesting and enjoyable to watch with brilliant relationships with Kirk, Scotty and especially McCoy. TNG needed three characters to create their own Spock presence on their Enterprise; Data (smart ass walking computer), Riker (first officer), Worf (alien officer on the bridge).

Meanwhile Picard time and again was trying to prove he and his crew belonged out there, like he had an inferiority complex. To the Q, to the Romulans, even to the Borg even though he knew they didn't even know or care. He practically begged to be accepted to every life form he encountered. None of the other Captains, even Janeway did this. I found Picard embarrassing at times. Good acting from Patty Boy Stewart though...

The other characters were not very interesting, Riker was mind numbingly dull. Troi and the Doc were basically eye candy. Troi had a tendency to ramble. I mean a ship's counselor? A space social worker? Wesley I have no idea why they put this character in there but he wasn't even a Star Fleet cadet and yet he was somehow the helmsman of the ship. Nepotism maybe since his mother was the ship's doc? Laforge was just a blind Scotty. And Worf was much more interesting when he joined DS9.

trink38.gif

I disagree big time. All of those characters were interesting in their own way (except Wes - he's kind of a Star trek Anakin). Picard was excellent - Inner Light was a fantastic episode.

You're free to disagree.

I can't see it your way though, I'd like to, I'd watch it all over again with your Picard-obsessed eyes. Reality has to be reality though...

bekloppt.gif

I love when you disagree and the other person says it's ok to disagree. Uh, thanks?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 18 2012, 08:47 PM)
I love when you disagree and the other person says it's ok to disagree.  Uh, thanks?

You're free to disagree.

Let's agree to disagree.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Thank you for your opinion.

Translation: I don't give a rat's patooeey about what you're saying....

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 18 2012, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jan 18 2012, 01:11 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 08:10 PM)

trink38.gif

Pretty much sums it up for me, particularly the part about Data. And Picard/Stewart is too stiff, wooden and unexciting for my tastes. Certainly not very dynamic. The show was too damn talky and meandering, getting bogged down with the overuse of technical jargon (or what I like to call "technobabble").

Agreed.

trink39.gif

Yup yes.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 18 2012, 08:47 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 17 2012, 09:07 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 17 2012, 09:10 PM)

trink38.gif

I disagree big time. All of those characters were interesting in their own way (except Wes - he's kind of a Star trek Anakin). Picard was excellent - Inner Light was a fantastic episode.

You're free to disagree.

I can't see it your way though, I'd like to, I'd watch it all over again with your Picard-obsessed eyes. Reality has to be reality though...

bekloppt.gif

I love when you disagree and the other person says it's ok to disagree. Uh, thanks?

You're free to type that...

tongue.gif

Best series overall was DS9, but Capt Picard and Data (and Riker as honorable mention) are some of the best characters they've ever had.

I didn't mention Worf with those guys because he came into DS9 at the start of S4. Yep, I know all that stuff haha.

The original series...just like cocaine..I mean uh coke..

..nothin' beats the original! yes.gif trink36.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

I think DS9 was the best series. Best storyline. Really the only one with a storyline except for Enterprise toward the end. Too little too late for that show sadly.

I also think it had the most character development. The characters were completely different people at the end of the series compared to who they were when it started.

Picard was the best Captain though...

TOS for me. What a great looking space ship. Proper SF writers too.

TNG had the best tottie.

Didn't like the story arc thing of most of the other series - too much like a soap for me.

Voyager rofl3.gif

Enterprise was going good though: the Mirror universe show was a highlight of Trek for me.

QUOTE (callmejim @ Feb 7 2012, 06:07 AM)
TOS for me. What a great looking space ship. Proper SF writers too.
TNG had the best tottie.
Didn't like the story arc thing of most of the other series - too much like a soap for me.
Voyager rofl3.gif
Enterprise was going good though: the Mirror universe show was a highlight of Trek for me.

How many episodes of Voyager did you watch before throwing it under the bus and making a mockery of it? DAMN great show. Really, they all were. Unless you just don't like Star Trek, I don't get the hatred for any of the series. I think they were all great, albeit some slightly better than others...

What is it with you Goober ? It seems like when I post something on here you have to make some pissy comeback which usually looks like you are unable to read the English language.

In the post above I said some Trek is great and other Trek is not so great.

Just to clarify, because you come across like a simple 15 year old, Star Trek The Original Series was the best TV show ever, TNG took 3 to 4 years to get into it's stride, DS9 was a lot better when Berman left, Voyager had the worst acting, writing , scripts, storylines that have ever been on telly. Yes, Voyager was utter tripe. There is no hate for this Tv show, it just was not very good. If you want to behave like a ten year old kid about it you really do need to re-evaluate your life and your place in it.

And as to how many episodes I watched before realising it was garbage-that would have been 1. It is easy to spot rubbish.

Enterprise I did like. Decent writing, ok acting, interesting stories. Might have been better if the whole show was based in the Mirror universe but as it was it was a shame it got cancelled before it's time and really did show some promise as a cool bit of telly was certainly worthy of holding up the Trek franchise.

Oh yes, did you see that. Franchise. Star Trek was a way for Paramount Studios to make lots and lots of cash. They are only in it for the money.

I love Trek but know full well that the people who have making Star Trek for the last 20 years have only done it for the money.

Yes I know it is a bitter pill to take but we all have to grow up sometime.

You really are one of the reasons why I don't bother coming here that often. You just come across like a spoilt child.

No hatred, it's just how it is.

Live long and prosper.

QUOTE (callmejim @ Feb 8 2012, 11:31 PM)
What is it with you Goober ? It seems like when I post something on here you have to make some pissy comeback which usually looks like you are unable to read the English language.
Just to clarify, because you come across like a simple 15 year old, Star Trek The Original Series was the best TV show ever, TNG took 3 to 4 years to get into it's stride, DS9 was a lot better when Berman left, Voyager had the worst acting, writing , scripts, storylines that have ever been on telly. Yes, Voyager was utter tripe. There is no hate for this Tv show, it just was not very good. If you want to behave like a ten year old kid about it you really do need to re-evaluate your life and your place in it.
And as to how many episodes I watched before realising it was garbage-that would have been 1. It is easy to spot rubbish.
Enterprise I did like. Decent writing, ok acting, interesting stories. Might have been better if the whole show was based in the Mirror universe but as it was it was a shame it got cancelled before it's time and really did show some promise as a cool bit of telly was certainly worthy of holding up the Trek franchise.
Oh yes, did you see that. Franchise. Star Trek was a way for Paramount Studios to make lots and lots of cash. They are only in it for the money.
I love Trek but know full well that the people who have making Star Trek for the last 20 years have only done it for the money.

You really are one of the reasons why I don't bother coming here that often. You just come across like a spoilt child.
Live long and prosper.

Wow. Um, hi? unsure.gif

Dude, maybe more fiber in your diet or anger management or something? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 9 2012, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (callmejim @ Feb 8 2012, 11:31 PM)
I love Trek but know full well that the people who have making  Star Trek for the last 20 years have only done it for the money.

Live long and prosper.

Wow. Um, hi? unsure.gif

Dude, maybe more fiber in your diet or anger management or something? confused13.gif

Star Trek is evil. It makes people aggressive which leads them to bicker, fight, and throw boulders made of styrofoam at each other!

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6883/rrxqn.jpg