Am I the Only One...

Union 5-3992

VH is a rather polarizing band. Some people love'em, some think they're the epitome of cheese (DLR era), or mullet rock (SH era).

No offense.

cool.gif

I think a majority of the music world is curious, but seeing the reaction to tattoo, overall, its starting to lean towards most people not caring as much....if that makes any sense...plus, the ticket prices are starting to create a shitstorm of negativity Edited by Xanadoood

Since you started Another V.H. thread, i assume you care also

I love old VH. I don't like when old rock bands try to make new albums. Sure Rush does an alright job at it. But I can't see the new VH album being anything special. I saw them on '07 with the overpriced tickets and the show wasn't that great.

Sure I will give the new album a listen but the old stuff is what I enjoy most.

There are A LOT of Van Halen threads lately. I understand the interest, and I appreciate the anticipation. I have it, too, to a degree. But, even if anyone starts a new thread or bumps another non-VH thread, these Van Halen threads will be bumped over them! What's the point at this point? wacko.gif

You guys have officially lost it. fing.gif

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jan 14 2012, 06:43 PM)
VH is a rather polarizing band. Some people love'em, some think they're the epitome of cheese (DLR era), or mullet rock (SH era).

No offense.

cool.gif

Or all of the above. biggrin.gif

Dave's a buffoon, and Sammy's a bit of a saccharin poser. But the whole thing works as great summer fun, and you have to admire Eddie's guitar work. Few can combine great technical work and tone with the blues/pop songwriting ability he has. (A recent re-listen of "Eat 'Em and Smile" proved that to me. Ed is sorely missed there.)

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jan 14 2012, 06:38 PM)
That doesn't care about Van Halen? It seems this sections has been rather cluttered with Van Halen topics. I never really cared much for their music.

i haven't bothered looking through the threads, but my guess is that somebody went back and bumped every van halen thread they could find. that kind of shit has happened before, wouldn't surprise me if it happened again.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jan 18 2012, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jan 14 2012, 06:38 PM)
That doesn't care about Van Halen? It seems this sections has been rather cluttered with Van Halen topics. I never really cared much for their music.

i haven't bothered looking through the threads, but my guess is that somebody went back and bumped every van halen thread they could find. that kind of shit has happened before, wouldn't surprise me if it happened again.

Nope. Most newly created due to the new single/upcoming album and tour.

I think an old VH album review thread was bumped, but the vast majority of the others were newly created

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 15 2012, 12:55 AM)
There are A LOT of Van Halen threads lately. I understand the interest, and I appreciate the anticipation. I have it, too, to a degree. But, even if anyone starts a new thread or bumps another non-VH thread, these Van Halen threads will be bumped over them! What's the point at this point?  wacko.gif

You guys have officially lost it.  fing.gif

laugh.gif This is probably your best post ever on TRF miss Sue! trink39.gif

Signed,

Michael Anthony's liquor bottle

cool10.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 19 2012, 09:56 PM)
OK...I'll do it. The "Am I the Only One..." VH-bashing thread simply cannot exist without this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzkXGIRaxcI

pokey.gif

Jesus Goose!

I was just going to quote the "I'm the one the one you love........." lyrics."

Luckily I clicked on your link first.

Great minds think alike!! trink39.gif

Young or old minds who can't understand the epicness of early Van Halen are well, on their own.

Signed,

"ATOMIC PUNK" 1022.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 18 2012, 12:10 AM)
Dave's a buffoon, and Sammy's a bit of a saccharin poser.  But the whole thing works as great summer fun, and you have to admire Eddie's guitar work.  Few can combine great technical work and tone with the blues/pop songwriting ability he has.  (A recent re-listen of "Eat 'Em and Smile" proved that to me.  Ed is sorely missed there.)

I don't really agree with the first sentence. But the rest of this part of your post is spot on. EEAS is a great illustration of what is so special about VH in general, and EVH in particular. Dave assembles an all star cast of eighties musicians (except the drummer, I have no idea who he is/was) and the album is fine, but it's not anywhere near VH. Vai has all the dexterity in the world, but he's so "vanilla."

when my own mother likes David Lee Roth likes his voice, it can't be all bad. She once commented though that his voice was a waste on hard rock. But he could really sing on those "Eat 'Em and Smile" tunes.

I can't say I'm a Van Halen fan necessarily, but I do like some of the classics from the DLR era.

"Tell me, what's that sound...." - Panama.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jan 14 2012, 05:38 PM)

I do sympathize with you, to be honest. I own and like all the VH stuff with Roth and saw them once back then so I can understand the current interest to a point. But the sort of adulation and attention they receive around here is way out of proportion to anything I've ever heard them achieve musically (or lyrically).

Edited by Silas Lang