Re-recording Old Tracks, Yes or No?

danielmclark

Should Rush re-record classic tracks with a modern slant?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rush re-record classic tracks with a modern slant?

• Yes
    • No

I listened to the re-recorded tracks from the Scorpions' Comeblack (silly name) album, and was really very surprised and impressed. I like them quite a lot. Klaus Meine's vocals have matured in a really positive way over the years and the classics ('Hurricane, The Zoo, Blackout, etc) sound really good to me.

Simple enough premise... what if Rush were to go into the studio and record new versions of the classics? Maybe ten songs, doesn't really matter for the sake of discussion (but feel free).

(And this is "in a perfect world" where we're not anxiously awaiting CA and hoping they tour for the next three years wink.gif)

Interested?

Edited by danielmclark

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think an acoustic album would be cool, but otherwise no. I don't think Rush would be able to pull it off and it would be a waste of studio time. Also most rerecordings aren't nearly as great as the originals. The only band that I can think of that has rerecorded songs that are better than the originals is Anathema.

I voted yes because their playing ability has noting but increased over time.

Yes, Ged's vocals would be different. but it would be a fresh perspective.

QUOTE (A Farewell to Things @ Jan 13 2012, 07:51 PM)
I voted yes because their playing ability has noting but increased over time.
Yes, Ged's vocals would be different. but it would be a fresh perspective.

The vocals would be considerably worse. Otherwise, Itd be interesting to hear...

Nope...the classic's are fine , the way they are..

no need to screw'um up.Like somebody said,

it would be a total waste of studio time. yes.gif

I would say no for two reasons: as others have said, the old songs are fine as they are, and if the band were going to devote time to a studio project, I'd prefer it to involve all-new material.

However, I've never heard such a re-recording from any band; and if I were to hear one, and if the effort were a success, perhaps I'd change my mind.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 14 2012, 01:26 AM)
I listened to the re-recorded tracks from the Scorpions' Comeblack (silly name) album, and was really very surprised and impressed. I like them quite a lot. Klaus Meine's vocals have matured in a really positive way over the years and the classics ('Hurricane, The Zoo, Blackout, etc) sound really good to me.

Everything the Scorpions have been trying to do in the last ten years (or more) is trying to cash in on the two or three years during the Eighties when they were accidentally relevant for parts of the music business. I was a fan of them then, but I was 14 ...

They have been releasing one embarrassing album after another, only topped by their interviews and overall appearance. They are really the best example for a band that should have called it quits at least twenty years ago.

Now, they release an album half consisting of half-hearted "modern" renditions of a few 'classics'. The other half are cover versions which make 'Feedback' sound like a valuable statement of art (what it probably is). Hell, they even stumbled through a disgraceful pseudo metal version of 'Tainted Love'.

And Rush should choose to be on a level with THEM?

Certainly not. Sorry.

Edited by barchetta90480

F*ck NO...

MIGHT be cool but I doubt they will

1) They seem much more interested in moving forward and creating new material

2) I believe Geddy said in an interview that they wouldn't want to change the songs, but the temptation to tweak and add would be too great.

As a side note I always thought it would be cool if a band chose one song on their first album and every album after revisit it and change it up and include it as a bonus track.

No way. The band wouldn't do it anyway when they have extensive live recordings of "classics" reworked in a modern context.

Who cares what The Scorpions have done? They were relevant in the 70s but went steadily downhill after Ulrich Roth left. Their reworking of old material is an obvious cash grab and more fool the fans for falling for it.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jan 14 2012, 11:16 AM)
As a side note I always thought it would be cool if a band chose one song on their first album and every album after revisit it and change it up and include it as a bonus track.

Now that's intriguing. Just keep reworking and building on it album after album. That could be really cool.

I think RUSH should re-record EVERY song they EVER recorded unplugged and then do two things:

1 Burn the master tapes of all their old albums forthwith. And burn them very, very well...

2 Mount up the horses and ride to every RUSH freak's home in the FUCKKING W O R L D and destroy every single Vinyl, CD, cassette, bootleg, DVD, blu-ray, poster of Neil with a tashe, every picture of Geddy in a silky teddy, and every Alex pic with a burger in his mouth and a taser up his arse! Expunge every "old" copy in the stratosphere UNTIL only the new "Neil approved" recordings remain! 1287.gif

Beware RUSH geeks, the three horsemen of the Rockalypse are coming to your door, your house will be ransacked, your posh threads with be pissed on, your new wave albums will be burned, and you will be tried as a witch and purified in the RUSH Wickerman!

1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 14 2012, 05:51 PM)
When did I say that because the Scorpions did it that Rush should do it?

A couple of really harsh answers here so far. For christ's sake, this was just a thought exercise. No need to get all hostile about it.

Where did I say that you said... tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 14 2012, 12:06 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 14 2012, 05:51 PM)
When did I say that because the Scorpions did it that Rush should do it?

A couple of really harsh answers here so far. For christ's sake, this was just a thought exercise. No need to get all hostile about it.

Where did I say that you said... tongue.gif

No, I know - between a couple of the responses here it seemed like there was a bit of an opinion that I was suggesting that because they did it, Rush should, too. It wasn't stated in so many words, but that was the gist I got and my response was general, not directed toward your last post specifically.

But "who cares what the Scorpions have done?" is pretty much in the ballpark of what I was responding to wink.gif