VH1 Metal Evolution

The Owl

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (adace1 @ Jan 12 2012, 08:09 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 12 2012, 07:10 PM)
Personally I think that whole episode didn't even have to be made.  We've all heard about a million times by now- I don't need to hear about no talent Cobain and his shitty band anynore! The Melvins was the only band that mattered that episoed. 1022.gif

Wait, hold on there. Nirvana might have been overrated but you can't deny the massive influence they had on the whole alt rock genre. Of course the Melvins were also massive influential in terms of inspiring sludge and post-metal but they aren't the only band that matters. Personally, I think Alice in Chains is the best of all of them even though they are more metal than grunge.

I don't deny their influence, I'm just sick of hearing about how great they are/were.

QUOTE (adace1 @ Jan 12 2012, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 12 2012, 07:10 PM)
Personally I think that whole episode didn't even have to be made.  We've all heard about a million times by now- I don't need to hear about no talent Cobain and his shitty band anynore! The Melvins was the only band that mattered that episoed. 1022.gif

Wait, hold on there. Nirvana might have been overrated but you can't deny the massive influence they had on the whole alt rock genre. Of course the Melvins were also massive influential in terms of inspiring sludge and post-metal but they aren't the only band that matters. Personally, I think Alice in Chains is the best of all of them even though they are more metal than grunge.

Agreed.

This show is awesome. I just started watching it last week. The bands listed in the genres are a bit out of place but they do a good job of covering everyone. Like I would never consider Rush prog metal, but they were very important to the genre. All in all great show though 1022.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jan 15 2012, 10:21 PM)
Not even mentioning System of a Down in Nu-Metal was a major Fail.

He might not have gotten band approval , those guys are Dicks.

The fact that Pantera was in the Nu-Metal episode made me cringe

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 17 2012, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 17 2012, 02:10 PM)

They suck too! 062802puke_prv.gif

Amen

did anyone see last night's episode?

i was kind of surprised that Gwar and Rob Zombie were interviewed, but not discussed. and no mention whatsoever of newer "painted" bands like Behemoth.

i also laughed when Sam said the first band that "scared" him was Slipknot. is he serious?? that music is for p*ssies! laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 17 2012, 03:10 PM)

I doubt you need permission to mention them.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 22 2012, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 17 2012, 02:10 PM)
The fact that Pantera was in the Nu-Metal episode made me cringe

Yeah that was odd....no connection at all

I think he only put them in that episode because it kind of left off where they were at. There's no real category for them anyways. He did what he could, i guess.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jan 22 2012, 12:17 PM)
did anyone see last night's episode?

i was kind of surprised that Gwar and Rob Zombie were interviewed, but not discussed. and no mention whatsoever of newer "painted" bands like Behemoth.

i also laughed when Sam said the first band that "scared" him was Slipknot. is he serious?? that music is for p*ssies! laugh.gif

Huge Gwar fan and they should've gotten some mention besides a 2 second interview with Oderus. Instead we get time wasted on shit like Slipknot! The best thing in this episode was King Diamond! It was great to see him and hear him after all his health issues he's been through. Just wish there was more with him. This series is just so so- it just seems like there's so much potential that's being wasted on too many shitty bands. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jan 23 2012, 12:28 AM)
The only thing I've enjoyed is when he goes way back into the history of it. Too much time wasted on newer, sh*tty bands.

If there's not enough Rush in the prog episode, this will have been a waste. Lol

We're on the same page here! I don't care about the shitty new bands either- when he does go back to the older bands it's so brief you miss it if you blink. angry.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jan 23 2012, 12:37 AM)
Like last night's episode, i would've loved to see an interview with little Richard or someone, but no. We get rammstein and slipskot. Yuck. lol

At least Arthur Brown got some screen time. You can't have a shock rock episode and not devote some time to Gwar! dazed025.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 22 2012, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 17 2012, 03:10 PM)

I doubt you need permission to mention them.

No , but to show footage of them or play their music you do

I never much cared for the shock rock aspect of rock n roll. I like Alice Cooper and Kiss as bands but really couldnt care less about their showmanship. I guess it's just the Rush fan in me that cares more about the music than anything else.

Once Venom (who I've never liked) and King Diamond (ditto) came on, I just fastforwarded until the show came to someone who interested me. so I basically fastforwarded to the end of the show.

I'm looking forward very much to the Prog Rock episode.