VH1 Metal Evolution

The Owl

Has anyone besides me seen any of VH1 Classic's doc series MEtal evolution....

What a superbly done documentary series once again by Sam Dunn (Metal Headbangers Ball/ Iron Maiden Flight 666/ and of Course Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage)

The series chronicles the early influences of Metal, music, it's origins.. early acts/ and the various sub generas associated with metal music... very entertaing...

all aired episodes are up on the shows site

http://www.vh1.com/shows/metal_evolution/series.jhtml

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has done a great job on this. The only two Major mistakes are not including Bon Jovi in the Glam/Hair Metal show and Pantera in the Thrash Metal show . How do you leave out 2 Huge bands from those time periods ?

I like it. Didn't see the need for the "glam metal" episode. It went nowhere and didn't really add anything to the growth of metal - in fact, you might say it killed any chance of metal being mainstream.

I've enjoyed it. I do have a few gripes though..

They spent a lot of time on Aerosmith, but didnt really talk much about Van Halen, who were hugely influential to the Hair Metal bands..

And how can you talk about the thrash scene and not bring up Pantera?..they ruled the 90s with their groove based thrash, and Dimebag kept guitar solos rolling through the alternative 90s..

I thought he did a great job covering the grunge scene, with pretty much everyone he interviewed saying they hated the 80s metal scene laugh.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jan 9 2012, 07:07 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 9 2012, 05:09 PM)
not including Pantera in the Thrash Metal show .

Pantera is thrash?

Thrash influenced at least...definitley part of that conversation..how would you describe them?..Power Metal perhaps?...Groove Metal?..definitley a Metallica/Slayer influence ..

Actually, the commercial for the nu-metal episode features Pantera fing.gif

Overall though, I've enjoyed watching it and can't wait for the prog metal episode. I still can't believe they only devoted 10 minutes or so to death metal (actually just melodeath) and almost nothing for black metal. Seriously, how do you spend a whole episode on lame glam bands like Def Leppard who aren't even metal but only 10 minutes for extreme metal? To his credit though, Dunn did give a lot more attention to extreme metal in his film A Headbanger's Journey.

QUOTE (adace1 @ Jan 9 2012, 09:59 PM)
Overall though, I've enjoyed watching it and can't wait for the prog metal episode. I still can't believe they only devoted 10 minutes or so to death metal (actually just melodeath) and almost nothing for black metal. Seriously, how do you spend a whole episode on lame glam bands like Def Leppard who aren't even metal but only 10 minutes for extreme metal? To his credit though, Dunn did give a lot more attention to extreme metal in his film A Headbanger's Journey.

I missed the previews for the upcoming episode...Pantera in the nu-metal group?..Should be interesting

I can't remember where, but I read VH-1 cut out the death metal and black metal segments. Hopefully the series comes out on dvd and there's a ton of bonus stuff. I'm sure VH-1 cut out a ton of good shit.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 9 2012, 11:54 PM)
Actually, the commercial for the nu-metal episode features Pantera  fing.gif

I can't remember where, but I read VH-1 cut out the death metal and black metal segments. Hopefully the series comes out on dvd and there's a ton of bonus stuff. I'm sure VH-1 cut out a ton of good shit.

Yeah, Im sure the cuts are VH1 and not Dunn

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jan 9 2012, 07:07 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 9 2012, 05:09 PM)
not including Pantera in the Thrash Metal show .

Pantera is thrash?

I don't think so but when they were talking about the End of thrash, they were the Only band to still sell albums and headline arenas . They showed the Pantera Logo but did not talk about them confused13.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jan 11 2012, 07:49 AM)
Hes done a good job overall on this, with the exception of the recent Grunge episode. His attempt to link grunge and metal, was a bit strained to say the least.

I have to agree, although I consider Alice In Chains and Soundgarden metal.

QUOTE (Albone2112 @ Jan 11 2012, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jan 11 2012, 07:49 AM)
Hes done a good job overall on this, with the exception of the recent Grunge episode.  His attempt to link grunge and metal, was a bit strained to say the least.

I have to agree, although I consider Alice In Chains and Soundgarden metal.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (adace1 @ Jan 11 2012, 07:24 PM)
There was also that part at the end of the grunge episode where he interviewed Nickelback and Creed. Not very pleasant to watch lol.

that was weird. He was trying to ling them to grunge as some kind of post-grunge thing. I never felt that way. I agreed with both bands belief that they are more connected to AOR classic type rock than grunge. I was amazed at all of the Nickelback defenders on there.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 12 2012, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (adace1 @ Jan 11 2012, 07:24 PM)
There was also that part at the end of the grunge episode where he interviewed Nickelback and Creed. Not very pleasant to watch lol.

that was weird. He was trying to ling them to grunge as some kind of post-grunge thing. I never felt that way. I agreed with both bands belief that they are more connected to AOR classic type rock than grunge. I was amazed at all of the Nickelback defenders on there.

Yeah that was odd. Who knew Jerry Cantrell was a big fan?...I think that segment was the only time I've seen any positive critical feedback on nickleback.. laugh.gif

Yeah that part kinda highlights the facts that grunge is pretty far from metal and "post-grunge" is pretty far from both. It would have made a lot more sense to air something about doom metal or extreme metal than an episode about a genre whose metal authenticity is seriously in doubt. Grunge has way more to do with hardcore punk than metal.

QUOTE (adace1 @ Jan 12 2012, 07:11 PM)
Yeah that part kinda highlights the facts that grunge is pretty far from metal and "post-grunge" is pretty far from both. It would have made a lot more sense to air something about doom metal or extreme metal than an episode about a genre whose metal authenticity is seriously in doubt. Grunge has way more to do with hardcore punk than metal.

Agreed. I would love a doom segment. I much prefer interviews with lesser known bands you never get to hear from- not Creed and Nickelback! 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 12 2012, 07:10 PM)
Personally I think that whole episode didn't even have to be made. We've all heard about a million times by now- I don't need to hear about no talent Cobain and his shitty band anynore! The Melvins was the only band that mattered that episoed. 1022.gif

Wait, hold on there. Nirvana might have been overrated but you can't deny the massive influence they had on the whole alt rock genre. Of course the Melvins were also massive influential in terms of inspiring sludge and post-metal but they aren't the only band that matters. Personally, I think Alice in Chains is the best of all of them even though they are more metal than grunge.