Star Trek Next Generation

Rushman14

This is just off the top of my head, but the series was shot in film but the special effects were done with video. So it seems they would have to redo/spruce up the special fx no matter what. That being the case, I am not sure they would have to crop it for 16x9 unless the information outside of the original aspect ratio is just not usable in that it would expose unfinished portion of sets, filom crew, etc...

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Jan 5 2012, 05:26 PM)
This is just off the top of my head, but the series was shot in film but the special effects were done with video.  So it seems they would have to redo/spruce up the special fx no matter what.  That being the case, I am not sure they would have to crop it for 16x9 unless the information outside of the original aspect ratio is just not usable in that it would expose unfinished portion of sets, filom crew, etc...

You never "have to" change the original aspect ration of any show or film. At least, that's the film purist side of me talking. I've always preferred letterboxed movies over pan and scan. Most people aren't as picky, though.

I'm sure some people will buy the HD TNG Blu-rays and complain about the black bars on the sides of their 16x9 screens, just like people did with the bars on the top and bottom on DVDs played on their old 4x3 sets. But TNG was shot in 4x3, and it should stay that way, IMO.

QUOTE (furie @ Jan 6 2012, 12:29 PM)
TNG was great, but DS9 was better.

Really?

I always thought DS9 was the weakest Star Trek series.

Don't get me wrong, I love DS9, as I do all the Star Trek series, but only the last 2-3 years when they started going out from the station and dealing with the Dominion, etc. did it really take off. Prior to that, it lacked the dynamism of other series. This was due to the fact that it was at a space station, and all the action had to come to them. It just wasn't as exciting as traveling through space IMHO. Consequently, while this brought more character development, it also brought a bit more of a soap opera / melodrama quality to the show.

Again, still a GREAT show, but TNG is much better IMHO. Currently I've been making my way through Voyager, and that's almost, if not as good as TNG. Really though, you can't go wrong with almost any Star Trek, except many of the movies weren't up to par.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 6 2012, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 6 2012, 06:41 PM)
QUOTE (furie @ Jan 6 2012, 02:29 PM)

Better? Nope. As good. At times. It's my second favorite Star Trek series after TNG.

Ditto.

x3.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 7 2012, 04:41 AM)
Nerds

tongue.gif

GUILTY! laugh.gif

There's this network called MeTV, Memorable Entertainment Television, where all the classics come out to play from Hawaii Five-O Kojak Mary Tyler Moore

And Star Trek. Just so happened within 2 weeks, I met a woman who OWNS the Galileo Shuttlecraft. Yes It sits in her backyard and she has BBQ's, outdoor shindigs, what not, and there she sits. Even showed me pics with guests posing by it and such. It's up for sale she says How much I ask. Only $130K. I commented well, I guess in a pinch I could live in it....like a doghouse kinda thing...and then just a week later "The Galileo 7" is on MeTV, so I had the DVR programmed to recrd series. Nothing else to watch, so I choose Star Trek, which evokes a grumble from Mrs Bob, but I tell her the story of the lady with the shuttlecraft..."Oh really?"...And she yells STOP! at the scene where they're doin a looksee at the aft end of it, assessing damage from the hard landing "she owns THAT?" yeah..."hmmm how much is she asking?" 130...and then I find out how much a trekkie my wifey is...."wow if only we had it"

heart.gif

But I don't get why she's not into the other series TNG > OS > DS9

where's voyager fit in?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 6 2012, 11:23 PM)

Really?

Don't get me wrong, I love DS9, as I do all the Star Trek series, but only the last 2-3 years when they started going out from the station and dealing with the Dominion, etc. did it really take off. Prior to that, it lacked the dynamism of other series. This was due to the fact that it was at a space station, and all the action had to come to them. It just wasn't as exciting as traveling through space IMHO. Consequently, while this brought more character development, it also brought a bit more of a soap opera / melodrama quality to the show.

Again, still a GREAT show, but TNG is much better IMHO. Currently I've been making my way through Voyager, and that's almost, if not as good as TNG. Really though, you can't go wrong with almost any Star Trek, except many of the movies weren't up to par.

I like Star Trek TOS and loved The Next Generation, was okay with Voyager, wasn't sure about Enterprise and did well with DS9 - until it got seriously confusing, what with dream sequences, the Dominium and something to do with Sisko and the Phophets, which I thought got weirder and weirder, to the point where I gave up watching, and never found out whether Sisko lived or died.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 7 2012, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 6 2012, 11:23 PM)

Really?

I like Star Trek TOS and loved The Next Generation, was okay with Voyager, wasn't sure about Enterprise and did well with DS9 - until it got seriously confusing, what with dream sequences, the Dominium and something to do with Sisko and the Phophets, which I thought got weirder and weirder, to the point where I gave up watching, and never found out whether Sisko lived or died.

The thing with DS9 was that it wasn't episodic. If you missed a few episodes after season 3 or 4 you were lost. I really enjoyed the ongoing story arcs because it allowed them to really flesh out events and go into detail that they couldn't with TNG. I agree that they pushed the whole prophets thing just a little too far at the end but otherwise it's a great series.

review by Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits:

The wait is finally over. Star Trek fans have for more than a year been hearing rumors of an effort by CBS to upgrade the wildly popular Star Trek: The Next Generation TV series to high-definition, following in the footsteps of their previously successful HD upgrade of the original Star Trek. Now, the first sampler Blu-ray of that effort is here at last.

I'll be honest... I'm a longtime Trek fan and I really loved The Original Series remastering project. But having gone back to revisit TNG in recent years on DVD, I have to admit that I've been a little worried that the show was just too dated to sustain a similar HD re-polish. So it was with no small amount of skepticism that I put this sampler disc in my player and set it spinning.

Well... I'm fairly surprised and relieved to say that my concerns were largely unfounded. Trust me when I say that there is a special kind of geek thrill in seeing this series in high-definition, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. The old analog/overly-digital look of the show is simply gone. In its place now is the look of nuanced and richly-textured film, scanned by CBS from the series' original camera negatives. Simply put, you have never seen this series looking as real, as immediate and as (strangely) relevant as it does on this Blu-ray. Sure, it's still cast members walking around in mini-skirts and pajamas, but the detail improvement is truly stunning - the sets, models, make-up and costumes (though originally intended for analog TV viewing) really hold up well. Contrast is superb with deep, dark blacks. Color is lush and vibrant. All of these things suffered in the original analog TV broadcasts, but they really enhance the viewing experience on Blu-ray. Perhaps best of all, the condition of this original camera negative is nigh perfect. Late-80s hair styles aside, it's as though this series were produced yesterday. I can't tell you how cool it is to see that giant model of the Enterprise-D in high-definition film quality as ILM shot it. In the 2-part Encounter at Farpoint, it's a rush to see that model cruising past digitally-enhanced planetscapes. And the opening shot of The Inner Light is just gorgeous, as the Enterprise drops out of warp and the rainbow-streaked stars fall into place around it. Lovely!

Some concern has been raised that the visual effects upgrade of this series for HD would go too far, but it appears to me that those involved have been VERY restrained in this respect. For example, in the later season episodes included on this disc, the opening credit sequence still includes the mismatched perspective on the moving stars when the ringed planet wipes the frame to reveal the Enterprise-D. It clearly could have been corrected digitally but was kept as a stylistic choice. Personally, I actually enjoyed the more aggressive visual effects upgrades of The Original Series: Remastered project and wish CBS would do more here. But those of you who don't will be pleased at the restraint in evidence here. The show's original 1.33:1 aspect ratio has also been preserved for Blu-ray, and I think that's the right choice (though it WOULD be cool if the BDs gave you a widescreen viewing option too). Concern has also been raised that a few shots in the other episode included here, Sins of the Father, are in upconverted standard-definition because a little bit of the original camera negative couldn't be found. But fans shouldn't fret. The shots are very quick - about 12 seconds of footage in all, of Dr. Crusher and Riker speaking and of a computer screen. They're so quick in fact, and so quickly return to HD, that they really aren't that troubling. And there is always the hope that, as the remastering effort continues, the missing film footage will still be found.

The audio upgrade is quite good too, if not quite as impressive as the visual improvement. Though the episodes have been remixed in 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (the original 2.0 stereo mixes are also available), as you'd expect from any TV show most of the action is in the forward portion of the soundstage. The rear channels are really only used for music and atmospheric fill, to smooth out and unify the sonic portion of the presentation. However, clarity is excellent and the experience is nicely immersive. It's very much on par with the audio experience of The Original Series Blu-rays.

The only extras on this sampler are the original teaser trailer for this TNG: Remastered effort, a 90-second trailer for the TNG: Season One Blu-ray set (due later this year) and a promo for the Star Trek PADD iPad App, all in HD. I would have liked more of a sizzle reel of upcoming visual effects footage, but the Season One trailer does at least give you a little bit of that. I should also note that the menus feature the show's familiar LCARS computer interface - an entirely appropriate choice.

For $15 on Amazon, this is a pretty cool little demo disc. It would be nice if CBS and Paramount offered some kind of discount on the TBA Season One Blu-ray set for fans who purchase this sampler. In any case, I've gotta tell you... I'm mostly sold. Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered looks like it's going to be just as much fun as The Original Series was. I know that I can't be alone in my excitement for episodes like Q Who, The Best of Both Worlds, Yesterday's Enterprise and All Good Things in 1080p. I don't know if CBS is going to continue this effort in the future with HD upgrades of Deep Space Nine and Voyager, but my feeling is that they'd be very shortsighted not to at least release Enterprise and The Animated Series on Blu-ray, as those shows are high-def ready now. In the meantime, TNG on Blu-ray looks to be a thrill that - while probably not for everyone - is very hard not to recommend to Trek fans of all ages. Engage!

Engage! Make it so! You have the bridge Mr Riker! Make it so namba one! Shut up Wesley! Tea, Earl Grey, hot! *facepalm* Maximum warp! Engage! Engage! Engage! Make it so! I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service us! Engage! Engage! Me and Mr Data are engaged! There...are...four...lights! What do you want Q?? Shut up Wesley! Shut up Wesley! Namba one! Namba one! Namba one! Make it so! Namba one! Make it so! Engage! Make it so! Namba one! *facepalm* Shut up Wesley! We have engaged...the Borg! Engaged! We are engaged! Engage! We are engaged to be married! Shut up Wesley! Take the helm Mr Crusher and shut up!

wacko.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 24 2012, 12:37 PM)
review by Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits:

<long review cut>

That sounds great! I'm looking forward to seeing what the entire series will look like, but I still fear for cheaper than dollarama packaging.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 6 2012, 06:23 PM)

Really?

Weaker than Voyager? No way. The Voyager concept was tired by season two and they just dragged it on for another 5 years.

Weaker than Enterprise? No, Enterprise was God awful.

The Dominion war was three years, The Klingon War was a year, and the build up to the wars was a year. That 5 years out of 7. storyline. A solid coherent They were only stuck on the station for the first 2 years.

I loved TNG, but the stand alone episodes where they pull it out in the last minuted every time gets old as a format.

For DS9, things were desperate. Hell they were driven off the station for most of season 5.