Rush tribute acts-keyboards

glechowski

Hello folks-

So, I'm just looking for input from those various RUSH tribute acts out there on the following:

1. How are you generating the synth sounds for the various mid-1980's Rush songs (Big Money, Force Ten, etc)?

2. Did you find samples of those sounds or did you try to recreate them in a studio setting?

And....go.

Thanks...

GL

QUOTE (glechowski @ Dec 27 2011, 09:56 AM)
Hello folks-
So, I'm just looking for input from those various RUSH tribute acts out there on the following:

1. How are you generating the synth sounds for the various mid-1980's Rush songs (Big Money, Force Ten, etc)?
2. Did you find samples of those sounds or did you try to recreate them in a studio setting?

And....go.

Thanks...
GL

Bump...thanks. beathorse.gif

RUSH-2112, keyboardist from the cover band Distant Signals is someone who springs to mind who may be able to help you. He used to post in Making Modern Music quite frequently, and from the synth work I have heard of his I can say it all sounds fairly accurate.

QUOTE (Scars @ Jan 4 2012, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Jan 4 2012, 05:23 AM)
Since the making of HYF, the music and the keyboards went downhill... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

banghead.gif Did you even read the thread topic?

I was responding to another topic! (about keyboards on HYF) schla03.gif

It would be kinda difficult to recreate the mid-80's sounds because most of the synths they were created on are obsolete to all but a small handful of collectors. The analog circuits just don't hold up well over time .It might be possible to find someone who has done a reasonable recreations. The keyboards Rush used in that era are some of the most sought after synths of that era. The MiniMoog,The Oberheims ( OB-8 , OB-Xa) The Rolands ( Jupter 8) and the PPG Wave 2.2 , and I think they used the Fairlight CMI also. These are the only ones I can remember and someone else might be more knowledgeable of what they used from Signals to HYF.

I used to have a Oberheim OB-8 w.Midi I bought in 1997 but it has since become unrepairable for its worth so I got rid of it .I have a Roland Fantom now and I can get a damn close Subdivisions sound but I haven't had the time to try to recreate the sounds of The Big Money or a song from that era. If you did have a synth like a Fantom you could load all the samples on it and trigger them without actually playing them like they had to do in the 80s. It is the lazy way but thats the price of progress . besides I see Rush doing it all the time now lol.When I got my studio completed this was one of the projects I was going to work on. Good luck...Oh I just remembered there was a group of people here in the forum that did covers off some Rush songs and I remember now they did a pretty good rendition of The Big Money . This would have to of been three to four years ago. I got some drum tracks from the drummer to do my own version of subdivisions but hell if I can't remember what the members names were. Hopefully they are still around.

I am a keyboard player for a Rush tribute. See a list of my keyboards at the bottom of my signature.

Because most are all "80's" keyboards, for the most part (except for the Korg R3, but that has some great sounds that came standard), they all work well trying to recreate those sounds. Some sounds I could never even come close to recreating, so yes I have to "cheat" just like Rush does.

So for example on The Camera Eye, I use a sampler to trigger some of the keyboard parts that I edited as a WAV file.

Other things I have sampled are more just "sounds" that I want to recreate like the "car squeal" in Red Barchetta.... a "crowd cheering" for The Spirit of Radio..... the intro for dreamline... the intro for distant early warning..... the intro for caravan....... 8 seperate WAV files to trigger the "sqaulk talk" for countdown....... intro for 2112........ intro for new world man

But for the rest of the songs like Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, The Analog Kid, etc... they are all played using one of my 7 keyboards.

I suppose it is possible to configure the new keyboards of today to mak the sounds, but these older keyboards do a much better job.

Hope this helps

QUOTE (RUSH-2112 @ Jan 17 2012, 11:19 AM)
I am a keyboard player for a Rush tribute.  See a list of my keyboards at the bottom of my signature.

Because most are all "80's" keyboards, for the most part (except for the Korg R3, but that has some great sounds that came standard), they all work well trying to recreate those sounds.  Some sounds I could never even come close to recreating, so yes I have to "cheat" just like Rush does.

So for example on The Camera Eye, I use a sampler to trigger some of the keyboard parts that I edited as a WAV file. 

Other things I have sampled are more just "sounds" that I want to recreate like the "car squeal" in Red Barchetta....  a "crowd cheering" for The Spirit of Radio.....  the intro for dreamline...  the intro for distant early warning.....  the intro for caravan.......  8 seperate WAV files to trigger the "sqaulk talk" for countdown.......  intro for 2112........  intro for new world man

But for the rest of the songs like Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, The Analog Kid, etc...  they are all played using one of my 7 keyboards. 

I suppose it is possible to configure the new keyboards of today to mak the sounds, but these older keyboards do a much better job.

Hope this helps

Wow...great stuff. Thanks. I have numerous samples (from the cds) reading to go in my Roland sampler, which I'm triggering with the Roland midi pedals. Also using the Taurus 3's. I think I've figured out a good way to do BIG MONEY, but still a long way to go.

AlexFinal.gif

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jan 3 2012, 10:36 PM)
RUSH-2112, keyboardist from the cover band Distant Signals is someone who springs to mind who may be able to help you. He used to post in Making Modern Music quite frequently, and from the synth work I have heard of his I can say it all sounds fairly accurate.

Thanks for thinking of me and for the kind words cool.gif